Flying Scotsman In Scarborough

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

silverlink
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Flying Scotsman In Scarborough

Post by silverlink »

Scarborough was honoured today by the arrival from York of Flying Scotsman on a running in turn, as can be seen from the photos it looks stunning in its BR Green livery. It brings back fond memories of spotting days at York.
Flying Scotsman arriving Scarborough
Flying Scotsman arriving Scarborough
FLYING SCOTSMAN C.jpg
FLYING SCOTSMAN D.jpg
FLYING SCOTSMAN G.jpg
Thanks
Ian H
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Flying Scotsman In Scarborough

Post by Woodcock29 »

Very nice - many thanks

Woodcock29
chiggers
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by chiggers »

Great pics; But why oh why did she have to be outshopped with thode hideous jerry deflectors??? choggers
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

oh, that debate again!

First, you will never please everyone with Flying Scotsman's appearance! It is impossible.

The A3s run much better with the Kylchap exhaust. There are operational reasons to keep this.
The LNER knew they were good but were generally reluctant to fit them (four A4s, and the P2s being the best known exceptions) - some sources state patent rights, others state smoke issues.
The smoke issues are real and a significant safety issue, especially on the modern railways. They were finally fixed with the BR "German" smoke deflectors. Hence the fitting of deflectors, which are actually appropriate for the chosen livery.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
silverlink
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by silverlink »

Personally I love the A3's in this guise, I well remember them coming majestically through York. To me they look so much better than just a single chimney. Only thing I would change would be the corridor tender for a streamlined non-corridor type but as it is normally connected to coaches its hardly noticeable. Also much better than the apple green and double chimney/German smoke deflectors.
Just out of interest how many people can remember seeing Apple Green in use in the 30's & 40's?
Ian H
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Just for the record, I like the single chimney look - on A4's, too, for that matter.

Anyway, it's so far back in the mists now, but I think the first A3 I ever saw was in Experimental Blue. Unfortunately, which one it was is now lost on me. I'm guessing at 1948/49 and would have been around Oakleigh Park.

Footnote: some footage of FS's latest outing was featured on our National news last night!
http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2684417285