George Percy Barratt, driver at Alnmouth

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

The attached photo shows George Percy Barratt (on the left) who was a driver at Alnmouth Shed. It was taken sometime in the early 1940's at Alnwick. I believe that he was injured in an accident whilst turning a loco on the turntable at Alnwick and never fully recovered from his injuries. Can anyone confirm this? Also can anyone identify the other two people in the picture? I think the man on the right may have been called Belisle but cannot be sure.
Any information would be welcome
Attachments
IMG.jpg
(67.15 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
Last edited by 60041 on Mon May 30, 2016 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

George Barratt was involved in the famous incident on the Alnwick to Cornhill branch in march 1941, when a northbound troop train was diverted onto the branch following the explosion of a landmine at Belford.
The very heavy train headed by A3 Bayardo and assisted by D20 no 592 stalled on the bank out of Alnwick and had to be rescued by the following parcels train hauled by D20 no 2023 which was driven by Barrett. He coupled onto the rear of the train and pushed it to Whittingham.
It must have been some sight - A3 tender first followed by the D20, then at least 15 and possibly 18 coaches then another D20 with a couple of bogie parcel vans! I wonder what it sounded like going up the 1:50 bank through the deep rock cuttings.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

This sounds like it might have been the inspiration for one Awdry's original Railway Stories? Many (most?) of the originals were based on real events.

The one I'm thinking of had a train (express hauled by Gordon, possibly?) stalling on a hill but due to the weather / leaves. Then the next train gave it a push.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Lorraine.Taylor
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: George Percy Barratt, driver at Alnmouth

Post by Lorraine.Taylor »

Hello Richard I am a granddaughter of George Percy Barrett, I have seen a photograph on this sight and it said it was taken in the 50's !! But my granddad died on August 32rd 1944. we his grand children would be very grateful if this misinformation can be corrected.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Which photo?
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

( Welcome back in business Richard. Hope the move went as smoothly as such things usually do. :) )
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Thanks - just about installed. Still have boxes in the "formal living room". That includes Yeadon's (Show them off, even if no one for 100 miles knows what they are!).

There's a much larger garden and a pond. The pond would look good with a bridge over the waterfall. I think it would suit G better than O though...
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

richard wrote: There's a much larger garden and a pond. The pond would look good with a bridge over the waterfall. I think it would suit G better than O though...
Would that make you the 'Wichita Lineman'? :P