J52, stovepipe chimney !

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

J52, stovepipe chimney !

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

I have just seen a picture of a J52 68832 with a stovepipe chimney at Stratford (1951) in the Mick Morant Collection, dose anyone have any more information, mainly, when was the stovepipe chimney fitted. It just so happens I have a BEC kit without a chimney, and a spare stovepipe, sitting in my bits draw. :shock:

Thanks. manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: J52, stovepipe chimney !

Post by teaky »

Not a precise answerto your question but I have a copy of Locomotives Illustrated no. 166 that includes a photo of 68795 and the following caption.

"Condensing fitted Class J52 no. 68795 (GNR no. 1058 - see page 17) stands outside Doncaster shed c1953 fitted with a stovepipe chimney. Several of these engines received stovepipes at Stratford Works due to a shortage of conventional chimneys when those rebuilt from class J53 were being given shorter chimneys of the type used on the Ivatt J52s. In the case of this engine its condensing gear had been blanked off in February 1952 but the pipes retained but a new chimney with a cowl was required." T.G.Hepburn/RAS F5298

The reference above to an earlier photo indicates the rebuilt to a J52 took place in May 1926. However, the table at the back of the magazine shows the rebuild as January 1930 (the line above it in the table shows May 1926 for the rebuild of the preceding locomotive so that may explain the discrepancy).

68832 to which your question relates was built as a J52 (Ivatt GNR J13) whereas the locomotive above was built as a J53 (Stirling GNR J14) before conversion to a J52.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

The South Eastern Finecast C12 comes with two chimneys. The tall 3'3 version which was also fitted to many J52s, and the short 2'5 version which was also fitted to five J52s in the 1950's for working the Metropolitan Lines.

South Eastern Finecast will supply any part from their kits. I have used this service quite often.

There must be something about BEC J52 chimneys as I bought one as part of a job lot, that was missing it's chimney. I wanted what was with it and wasn't bothered that the chimney was missing.

There are several pics in Yeadon of J52s with stovepipe chimneys, which had been fitted at Stratford during the war and just after.

Earlswood nob

PS I have no connection with supplier mention other than that of a satisfied customer.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day gents

Thank you for the replies, Teaky, I didn't know there were others with stovepipe chimneys, learn something everyday :D

EN, sorry I seem to have mislead you, the BEC kit is missing a chimney, because I nicked it to use on the G1, but I now know where to get GN chimneys........Thanks :lol:

manna
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all esp Manna

I've been doing a little research while waiting for a plumber to arrive.

The G1s were originally fitted with a 4'2 domeless boiler and 2'11 chimney for using the Metropolitan lines. They were fitted with a 3'7 chimney when transferred out of the London area.

When they were fitted with the 4'5 boiler, the London locos had the 2'5 chimney and those in the provinces had the 3'3 chimney.

It's quite simpe really; obtain a chimney and then find a loco that was fitted with the same.

Earlswoood nob
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents, Esp EN.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

manna
rockinjohn
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi all well I do remember a stovepipe with the second dome behind it &others with the normal chimney with second dome also,all either on Ferme Park to Kings x transfer goods 687xx numbering or climbing the Holloway Up ramp, they had all gone before end of '53/'54 which disturbingly makes me age 5yrs!they were replaced by more later J52's, in turn ousted by the more powerful J50's,I know Stratford had J94's on hand &Hornsey had its allocation also, but I never saw any in the London ER region working or otherwise, where did they work/what did the crews think of them?anybody out they know the answer Ferme Park shunt would make obvious sense as a turn for them with their power, I suppose but what else,oh yeah Stratford used J50's on the Goodmayes hump yard.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents.

I can as a youngster, I can remember J52's working in the carriage sidings at Bounds Green, as every so often, one would come under the bridge and stop halfway along the coal/goods line at Wood Green station, then push the train back under the bridge into Bounds Green yard, also remember the J50's doing the same duties.

Years later I'd be doing them with an 08.

manna
rockinjohn

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi Manna &others its been a year since I asked, did anybody see the Hornsey(34B)J94's move off shed?,seen pics on shed,but little else to pin down where or what they were used for, a replacement for some?J50's before the 08's or even the 121xx shunters made their inroads locally &that was early times, maybe '54? even@Ferme Park or Highbury Vale, if anyone could shed (no pun intended) throw some light on these mysterious(to me anyway) tanks allocation would love to hear.jj
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Hi Rockingjohn. Sorry I can't help you on you quest for more info on J94's I don't remember them at all in the Wood Green/Hornsey area, but as you said, I've seen plenty of pics of them on shed, I wonder if they were used solely in Ferme Park yard only, always hidden behind wagons and never noticed.

manna
rockinjohn

Post by rockinjohn »

hi manna thnks for reply well you echoed my thoughts shed&ferme park only. jj