The Nabisco shunter Welwyn Garden City

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

ajb200
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

The Nabisco shunter Welwyn Garden City

Post by ajb200 »

Firstly, many thanks to the group for much information regarding the Shredded Wheat loco and sidings. Does anybody remember or have information about the only time the loco strayed onto BR lines? I believe it was in the 1970's, the occasion being the retirement of a driver of the Fowler?
Mickey

Re: The Nabisco shunter Welwyn Garden City

Post by Mickey »

As you possibly read I on this forum I was at Welwyn Garden City box as a 'box lad' from July 1972-March 1974 and I can't honestly say I recall either way if I remember seeing the Nabiscos shunter come out of the Shredded Wheat factory such a 'one off event' over 40 years ago would be hard for me to recall?.

I do remember occasionally seeing from the box the B.R. 350hp 0-6-0 diesel shunter 'the Welwyn pilot' as it was known going and returning with grain hopper wagons from the Nabiscos factory area that was fairly common. Usually back then the 1960s & 1970s the 'Welwyn pilot' would 'shunt the yard & the Up yard' most weekdays so much so that you would hardly take any notice of it unless it 'whistled up' for either one of the miniture signal arms (no.70 & no.72) on either of the tall concrete signal posts to be 'cleared' from either yard so it could shunt onto the Hertford branch under the Hunters Road overbridge.

Mickey
ajb200
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by ajb200 »

Thanks Mickey, i'm not sure how authentic this story is. I'm working on a presentation about the Fowler Nabisco loco, during a conversation about the project I was told this story recently, apparently the Welwyn Times ran a piece with a picture. i'll keep looking.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

As previously posted by myself on another Nabisco's sidings thread on this forum i'm quite certain that the Nabisco's loco was changed sometime either around late 1967 or 1968 for another loco cos I remember thinking to myself one day when I was walking passed the Shredded Wheat factory (on Bridge Road East/Hunters Road bridge) and upon looking down at the Nabisco's sidings that the shunting loco I saw in the factory sidings wasn't the same loco that was there before?.
Last edited by Mickey on Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajb200
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by ajb200 »

Hi Mickey, I believe you are right about the shunter. I've looked into the sidings workings. I cannot find any mention in the local paper, yet, about the shunter leaving the sidings. The Fowler was stored probably from 1970 onwards, it is quite likely that BR shunted what remaining wheat traffic there was into and out of the road nearest the factory, using the WGC yard pilot.It appears that, that traffic had ceased by 1972, I suspect the two outer roads were used as holding sidings for other traffic.
The Shredded Wheat loco itself was not replaced, but a Hitchin based 08 carried out the work.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Around the time I noticed that the shunter had been changed (late 1967 or 1968?) there appeared a small shed building big enough to hold a small loco over the factory siding road nearers the Sheddred Wheat factory (Hunters Road bridge end) and from memory it was painted a all over white'ish colour I assume it housed the Nabisco's shunter at nights and at weekends, on a visit to WGC around 2011/12 the 'shed' was still there even though the Shredded Wheat factory closed in 2008 I believe?.

From a slightly fading memory of events of over 40 yeras ago the Nabisco's shunter still shunted the factory siding roads when I was at WGC box from the summer of 1972 until early 1974 when I left the box because sometimes I would notice it shunting the grain hopper wagons from the box when I was looking over towards the Shredded Wheat factory.
Last edited by Mickey on Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

In case of interest to anyone, the following was posted by someone in Facebook this morning (in the closed group therein, entitled "34B 34C 34D Hornsey / Hatfield / Hitchin Loco") : -

"Hello, calling all railfans who may be interested in the fate of the Nabisco shunter..... there is a display running in Welwyn Garden City library until the 22nd Jan. The story of the Nabisco Shunter, plus an n-gauge representation of the sidings, worth a visit."
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
thesignalman
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by thesignalman »

Here is a public picture:
Photo 26/11/74, copyright N L Cadge/John Hinson collection

John
"BX there, boy!"
Signalling history: https://www.signalbox.org/
Signalling and other railway photographs: https://433shop.co.uk/
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

StevieG wrote:..."Hello, calling all railfans who may be interested in the fate of the Nabisco shunter..... there is a display running in Welwyn Garden City library until the 22nd Jan. The story of the Nabisco Shunter, plus an n-gauge representation of the sidings, worth a visit."
I popped in to have a look this morning. The available member of staff played the 'I know nozzing, I am from Barca lounger' defence. (I had already looked around all the publically accessible areas and gatecrashed a terribly earnest meeting in one of the rooms often used for displays, which those within had not thought to indicate was in use for a meeting, sloppy bunch. HLS is not what it was you know...)

For disambiguation purposes, the Campus West library, Welwyn Garden City, not the Woodhall branch.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Was not relevant to this thread so it was deleted by myself.
Last edited by Mickey on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

John your picture of the Nabisco's shunter is dated 26/11/74 did you also have a look in WGC box that day as well?. By November 1974 I had left the box the previous March of the same year.

Back in 1967/68 I believe the Nabisco's diesel shunter was a 0-6-0 loco before being replaced by the 0-4-0 around the that time (67/68).

Mickey
thesignalman
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by thesignalman »

Mickey wrote:John your picture of the Nabisco's shunter is dated 26/11/74 did you also have a look in WGC box that day as well?. By November 1974 I had left the box the previous March of the same year.

Back in 1967/68 I believe the Nabisco's diesel shunter was a 0-6-0 loco before being replaced by the 0-4-0 around the that time (67/68).
Hi Mickey,

That picture is by the late Norman Cadge, who (without me knowing) left his pictures to me. It is possible he has pictures of the 0-6-0 somewhere too - I am still working through the collection which numbers about 80,000!

I think I visited Garden City around 1971/2 in some sort of official capacity although I can't remember what the errand was. I wasn't able to stop long and didn't have my camera with me. Norman may have photographed the box but I haven't found any yet.

John
"BX there, boy!"
Signalling history: https://www.signalbox.org/
Signalling and other railway photographs: https://433shop.co.uk/
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Ok John thanks.
Last edited by Mickey on Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JeremyF
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by JeremyF »

I am researching the history of the Shredded Wheat Factory and its Shunters as part of a exhibition for the WGC 2020 Centenary. Is anyone aware of the current location of any of the Nabisco Shunters? I would also be fascinated to have a look at any photographs you have of the Shunter at work. Any help would be most appreciated.
Eccentric
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Eccentric »

Jeremy,

With regard to the WGC 2020 exhibition, you really need to make contact with ajb200.

I will ask him to log on and look at this thread, but it is possible that - like myself - he has not made enough posts to allow the private messaging facility to be activated - and maybe you will not be able to receive or reply to any PM!

In which case maybe a moderator can assist in putting the two of you together?