Skimpot Lane, Dunstable.

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

ajb200
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Skimpot Lane, Dunstable.

Post by ajb200 »

Does anybody remember the steam loco's stored on the old Luton- Dunstable line circa 1966-9? What they were and where they went? Thanks.
Mickey

Re: Skimpot Lane, Dunstable.

Post by Mickey »

I can't answer your question directly ajb200 but your post reminds me of a railway friend and myself once walking the line from Welwyn Garden City to Luton Bute Street in 1969 and then the idea was to continue walking from Luton Bute Street onwards to Dunstable Town but it was mid afternoon by the time we reached as far as Chaul End crossing (west of Luton) before we decided we'd had enough and turned back and headed back to WGC.

Mickey
Eightpot
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Eightpot »

Probably locos and rolling stock belonging to the then London Railway Preservation Group which became part of the Quainton Railway Preservation Society. Most, if not all of this is now at Quainton.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Funny that you should mention Quainton Road Eightpot in this thread because about a year after my walk as far as Chaul End level crossing on the Luton Bute Street- Dunstable Town length of railway the following year in 1970 on one rainy Saturday afternoon I walked from Aylesbury Town station along the road (in the rain I remember) to the then fledgling site of the Quainton Road Railway Preservation Society base HQ located 'in the middle of nowhere' or so it seemed to me to sign on as a signalman mind you I recall the guy that I spoke to wasn't to impressed with me possibly because I was only 13 years old at the time lol ha ha ha...

When I arrived at the Quainton Road site in 1970 it was just a 2 road siding I vaguely recall with a set of points. I remember seeing that they had a home & distant signal mounted on a straight metal tubular signal post worked from a 4 or 5 lever ground frame that also worked the set of points in the other siding road plus along with some rolling stock in the siding roads and possibly a loco that was as much as they had at that time.

It was still a bit rainy and the light was fading when I departed Quainton Road and headed back towards Aylesbury Town railway station a couple of miles away so I thought stuff it I'm going to walk along the railway line (single track line to & from Claydon LNE Junction) back to Aylesbury you could do things like that back in those days lol ha ha ha...

Mickey
Psychronicity
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Psychronicity »

Yes, I remember. Used to play there frequently in the 60's. Also remember the Flying Scottsman passing through Leagrave station around about the same time.