Computer Coloured Monochrome

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

John Palmer
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: Computer Coloured Monochrome

Post by John Palmer »

Eddie, thank you very much. That makes perfect sense to me, as I can now relate it to the linkage at the opposite end of the shaft, the purpose of which was already known to me. I'd not previously appreciated the connection, either in the figurative or literal sense.

I'd also previously noted the balance spring's presence on a number of Scottish-allocated K2s (another good shot of such in the Yeadon volume, mounted on Loch Arkaig and seen at Fort William). The Green Book volume covering the class refers to all the Eastfield-shedded K2s being so fitted between 1934 and 1936; entirely consistent with the Eastfield D11/2s receiving them at the same time.
Darwin4975
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by Darwin4975 »

Very late in the day for the J37s, this picture was taken in January 1967 when only a handful remained at work. The regular duty was the daily Montrose goods, seen here at Stannergate, just north of Dundee. A picture from my own camera. A pity that none of these fine engines were saved from the scrapheap especially as they remained in existence virtually to the end of steam in Scotland.
64620 Dundee.jpg
Darwin4975
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by Darwin4975 »

Colour transparencies of A1s in BR blue are rare.

Rarer still, blue A1s with nameplates, as often the addition of names coincided with change of livery to brunswick green.

One of the few that were named whilst in blue livery was Bon Accord, seen here at Doncaster newly ex-works on 18th April 1951.
60154 Doncaster 180451.jpg
60154 Detail.jpg
If you think the colours are bright, don't forget that she was fresh out of the paint-shop when this b/w picture was taken.
In the tender care of Gateshead MPD it would not have been long before the paint was hidden behind a liberal coating of grime, never to be seen again until next in for repaint.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Referring to contemporary photographs (e.g. The Big Four in Colour 1935-50) Surely the buffer beam should be a much brighter red rather than the dull orange-brown?
Darwin4975
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by Darwin4975 »

Thanks for the comment. Buffer beams can be really tricky, especially when the pixel density is low. Ex works locos photographed in bright sun seen as a b/w picture, often show the beam as being very light grey or even white. These are impossible to deal with and I don't even try, as no matter how good the rest of the picture might be the buffer beam will spoil the result.

Here's one I am working on at the moment which I expect you will find to be OK. This picture has the front of the engine in shadow and a high pixel density on the bufferbeam. That allows a nice rich red to be brought out on a very clean locomotive which could not be achieved if the pixel density was low.
3289 C1 1.jpg
Going back to the A1. There are plenty of other variables as well as pixel density. Different people's perception of colour; computer screen colours vary as well as the ambient light in the room where the screen is being viewed which all add up to something of a minefield.
Nevertheless I think you have a point. I have adjusted the shade of red away from the yellow end of the spectrum. How would that look to you? It is a very simple matter to change to this on the master. The point of posting these images is to increase the chance of getting things right and the more eyes the better as far as I am concerned. David
beam detail after -10.jpg
Darwin4975
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by Darwin4975 »

Quite a few A4 images have featured in this thread which I know will please some. In my opinion, in their single chimney days they were the epitome of grace, especially when seen from the side and devoid of their 'skirts'.
60027 1.jpg
Last week I travelled by train from Aberdeen to Glasgow and passed this very spot. The beautiful church and steeple is still there but the foreground where the locomotive is standing is occupied by modern flats. Behind them can still be seen the sandstone tenements. Some of the view is obscured by bushes and trees which so often get in the way nowadays.
60027 2.jpg
60027 3.jpg
The original taken by John Robertson in 1953 is shown here courtesy of the Transport Treasury.
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

This may not be the appropriate place but any suggestions for photo repair software.
Darwin4975
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by Darwin4975 »

If Pebbles is asking a question the answer might be Photoshop which is the same software I am using, but there will be other options also.

Having shown part of one being currently processed I can now let you see the finished result. Again courtesy of Transport Treasury though no details are known about this photograph (ie photographer, location or date). Whether travelling north or south is also unknown. Any suggestions? I would expect the location to be somewhere south of Peterborough and probably near London.
3289 C1 3a.jpg
The driver is delighted to see that his picture is being taken and waves to the photographer.
3289 C1 3a detail.jpg
3289 C1 3a detail 2.jpg
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Location? Let's try the up main just south of Dixon's Hill Rd. bridge, Welham Green.

Stevie, Mickey, HQ1, whaddya think?
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

You could well be right, there 'giner.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Oops I left you out of the local lads there, Manna. :)
Darwin4975
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by Darwin4975 »

We have had GN and NE Atlantics so it would be right to let the North British get a look in. Here is Hazeldean at Craigentinny carriage sidings in the 1930s. All the Atlantics in LNER days were allowed to retain the apple green livery after the changes of 1928 (except the GC ones of course!). The flat side to the cylinder shows that the engine has been superheated, as at the time of superheating the cylinders were also enlarged. The flattening was necessary to keep within the loading gauge. Negative courtesy of the Transport Treasury.
Attachments
9878 Craigentinny 3c.jpg
9878 Craigentinny detail.jpg
Darwin4975
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by Darwin4975 »

This thread began three years ago and during that time, the first image shown, No 4488 has been viewed more than 5 times every day, on average. (Apologies to the diehard who saw it it as a gimmick.)

Whenever I look at a negative or a b/w print I imagine it in colour as it would have been at the time and sometimes something really special comes along -as was the case with this picture taken at Gateshead on 5th June 1948.

As we all know, the LNER tried hard to brighten up its image just after the war using apple green paint on selected locomotives. One Gresley 2-6-2T was singled out of the whole class for this treatment, No 7684 was finished in fully lined apple green LNER livery in September 1946 and retained the livery through change of ownership, becoming 67684. After three years it was time for another overhaul and in September 1949 green was changed irreversibly to BR lined black.

This picture is from a b/w negative which shows the engine in LNER green and BR ownership, but what makes a very interesting photograph quite remarkable is the sight of 60071 lurking in the background. In May 1948, Tranquil arrived back in Gateshead having been on a brief visit to Doncaster Works specifically to be repainted in the experimental livery, the so-called Royal Blue / Purple, one of only 7 A3s received this livery. Just a matter of days later later she can be seen in the background to this picture. The V3 is moving so the photo could only be taken once! The lucky photographer saw the scene as it was and probably wished that he could record it in colour. It's taken almost seventy years, but this is close to being what was observed through the viewfinder.

This negative was sold on the open market quite cheaply a few years ago. It seemed at the time that nobody else realised its significance.
Attachments
67684 Gateshead 050648 y.jpg
Postman Prat
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Postman Prat »

Hi Darwin
Just a line, or so, to say how much I enjoy the coloured photos. The V3 is a lovely job!
PP
The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train coming towards you!!
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Aye to that. That blue/purple always stands out for me. First impressions an' all that, the first locomotive I ever saw as a youngster was an A1 in that livery bursting out of the tunnel and thundering up the bank to Oakleigh Park. So vivid.