On my Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Returning to the fold.....

Post by jwealleans »

Depends how thirsty you are.

Didn't Mike Trice use Shellac on those Diagram 3D bodies he built?
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

There was an article some years ago in Scalefour News where coach sides were constructed by using shellac impregnated card and using methylated spirit as a solvent.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Further BS and a warning.

I received an email from a friend in the US regarding Enpowr. This is a particularly nasty pyramid selling scheme who cloned my email account and for several weeks were sending out spam trying to get mugs to sign up. Do not touch them and absolutely do NOT open the email!!!! They seem to have left me alone, finally, but, as a parting shot ,implanted a virus in my laptop. Donald, the laptop, is not happy, still coughing and sniffing but no longer sneezing!

I have reported the matter to the police who, in their usual style, are doing absolutely nothing about it. They only seem to be interested in speeding tickets and therefore hate me because I try to stick to speed limits!

Bloody hackers!!!!!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day BB

Thanks.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I'm glad I'm not the only one to have noticed the uselessness of the Police in respect of enforcement of most laws, yet if I happen to be in a hurry (usually only because I've been held up by various time-wasters) on virtually empty rural roads around here I have to keep a constant look-out for Lincolnshire's Road Gestapo. I think they should be let loose on some proper fast-roads like the M40 as they could fix the shortfall in the county's policing budget in just a few hours!
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one to have noticed the uselessness of the Police in respect of enforcement of most laws, yet if I happen to be in a hurry (usually only because I've been held up by various time-wasters) on virtually empty rural roads around here I have to keep a constant look-out for Lincolnshire's Road Gestapo. I think they should be let loose on some proper fast-roads like the M40 as they could fix the shortfall in the county's policing budget in just a few hours!
An interesting observation. IIRC Lincolnshire's "virtually empty rural roads" host a high death rate from RTAs which is among the highest per capita in England. Speed is one of the contributory factors........
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Well speed can always be made to appear a contributory factor, by the anti-motorist, anti-speed zealots, since it has to be the case that if speed were zero there would be no collisions.... :wink:
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

If you say so ;-)
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Maybe we should let BB's modelling topic resume?

notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

If you say so ;-)
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

But, if you take away, the drink, the drugs, the fact that 60%, are not wearing a seatbelt..................

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Ok the biggest single factor affecting the number of deaths in RTAs is driving too fast for the road. Other stuff is in the mix. And in Lincolnshire the problem is clearly worse than elsewhere. I know that I'm perfectly safe at whatever speed I choose to drive at, it's the other drivers that are the problem. And the Police. Ok they have to mop up the mess afterwards but that's what they get paid for. They shouldn't persecute motorists just for speeding.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

PS. This subject winds me up because I was first on the scene of a high speed crash. I had to climb into the wreckage to check the driver for a pulse. He had horrific head injuries after the car had somersaulted onto a barrier and a stanchion came through the car roof. Happily he was dead. I had time then to do first aid on the other 2 occupants before the Ambulance arrived. I was ok until a Police officer arrived, took one look at the driver and started being sick. It was a horrific event and I view speeding drivers with some contempt.

Rant over. Back to my GNR birdcage goods brake!
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Long time no see.

Just to update you on what I am up to.

Work continues on the Atlantic for Iron Duke with more error than trial. Currently butchering numerous cardboard cereal packets to work out the correct profile for the front frames. What I may do is abandon the idea of making slots for the Comet cylinders to drop onto and solder them on to a simple strip with guard irons filed from scrap etch. The cab also progresses slowly, working on the design for the wrapper and, again, butchering cereal boxes. Now, need to eat more Weetabix!
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Some progress.

Hands were steady enough to get some work done so I cut the card patterns for the cab and front frame extensions. No pics - yet - because a). The light is already failing here and b) not much to see. Trial and (mostly) error but the patterns at least fit together.

Now to buy some sharp scissors dor cutting the shim brass. We do have some but Mrs BB........

You know the rest. This means Shopping and it's too people-y out there.