Model Rail proposing RTR J70

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Ocean Swell
NBR J36 0-6-0

Model Rail proposing RTR J70

Post by Ocean Swell »

I see on RMWeb that Model Rail are canvassing opinion on potential liveries and variations for a J70 possibly in conjunction with Rapido.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... hats-next/

I would certainly be up for one or two of the BR ones sans skirt.
NickBradshaw
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Model Rail proposing RTR J70

Post by NickBradshaw »

Interesting that this should come at a time when a new 3-D printed bodyshell is close to hitting the market, which can also be found on RMweb by searching for the W&U. Personally I'd love to see some options for the coaching stock, a TTTE Henrietta or the D&S brass kits which can be hard to source, (I don't have a cheque book and no idea about current availability if I did,) is a pretty poor choice for these delightful coaches.
Ocean Swell
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Ocean Swell »

Yes they are discussing a coach to go with it as well. Several people have mentioned the Titfield Thunderbolt movie tie-in so it may end up being one or both of the W and U bogie coaches (like that preserved on the North Norfolk Railway). That would also be useful for the Tollesbury Light Railway.

The main question seems to be is there enough interest to make them with and without side plates? It would be cheaper to do them with only (not bothering with the valve gear), but most of those that worked on the docksides of places like Ipswich, Yarmouth and Colchester ran without sideplates and in some instanced without cowcatchers. Even some running on W and U at the end of steam had their side-plates removed.

GER (Blue) livery and British Railways lettered plus the Cycling lion have seemed popular with a few voting for LNER black also.
If people want to voice their opinion on what they might buy they can reply to the RMWeb thread, or email Chris Leigh at model rail magazine ( email address contained in post number 36 on the rmweb thread) .
NickBradshaw
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by NickBradshaw »

I went for the email option, people are talking pricing now over on the other forum, which is a valid point to consider. Some of the current interest may fade away once a price guide is announced. For the coaches, I've expressed an interest, as long as they can be brought to market for under £30. The current trend for £50 rolling stock has gotten out of hand, regardless of the detail, (considering magazines are routinely giving advice about fine detailing on top in most cases,) it's not something I can commit to when you consider that you will need multiple to make up a single train.
Ocean Swell
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Ocean Swell »

A bit of an update on this, from Chris Leighs new blog.

http://www.model-rail.co.uk/new-blog/

It seems that interest in a J70 has been deemed viable and Model Rail and Rapido are beginning to research the class in depth. The good news as far as I am concerned is that they are looking at doing it with full valve gear so there will be the option of running without the sideplates making it suitable for the many non-W & U locations the class was based in over its lifetime.

How they will tackle the 6 ft 8 in wheel base and fitting couplers without spoiling the look of the cowcatchers will be interesting to see.

No further information on the coach at this stage however.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

An article/editorial about it in the current issue of Model Rail too... didn't buy a copy just to read that though, but someone who did might summarise?
Ocean Swell
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Ocean Swell »

The order form and options are out for the J70.

http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/pg/160/Project-J70
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Bill

Thanks for this info - clearly not in my area of interest really but could be sorely tempted!

Andrew
Ocean Swell
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Ocean Swell »

Go on Andrew, you know you want to. A little dockside layout would be great to take to AMRE or BRMA conventions. :lol:
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

If anyone wants a GER version of the J70 please email Model rail at

modelrail@bauermedia.co.uk

They are saying no GER version due to lack of interest. If you want one, let them know asap.
RayS
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by RayS »

Is there any hard news on when this little gem will make its appearance?
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/c/1084 ... ocomotives - expected 4th quarter 2017, which starts tomorrow!
teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by teaky »

All J70s now appear to show 1st quarter 2018.

Will they make it before Chinese new year?
Ocean Swell
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Ocean Swell »

A couple of photos of the first engineering samples on the model rail page

http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/pg/160/Project-J70

there has been a bit of discussion on rmweb about the side chains, Rapido and model rail have replied that the chains on the final model will be much finer and only appropriate versions. I think the chains on the sample would probably serve for those that had them on their bufferbeams. Also interesting to see how it looks with the coupler through the cow-catcher.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

We are going to put screwlinks on it aren't we? It will look so much better with the 'cowcatcher' guards complete. Very neat looking model altogether.