Last Steam Trains out of Lincoln Central?

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Hardy
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Last Steam Trains out of Lincoln Central?

Post by Hardy »

Many thanks, I'll check up on the dates.
Hardy
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Hardy »

Another reason for thinking 1966 is that there are some images here http://www.davesrailpics.bravehost.com/ ... tm#lincoln in the two albums 'Lincoln steam 1958-1964' taken in late 1966 ?
Igamba
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Igamba »

Hello, it's 4 years since you posted! I know just a little about this as from 1964 - 6 I rode many lines which were due to become Beeching's victims, only getting into steam just before the end. I made 4 visits to Lincoln while riding the Grantham, March to Doncaster, The New Line, Mablethorpe and E Lincs though these were all diesel well before this time. I saw a Black 5 at Lincoln every time, either on a freight or light engine, twice each. I assume it came from Colwick, the last sighting being October 1966. Also I happen to have some dvds one of which shows several B1 hauled passenger trains coming in and out of Donnie in 1965 from the east, months not confirmed. From what little I know I would be surprised if there were steam passenger from Lincoln after about mid 1965, if as late as that.
On the October 66 trip I noted 2 B1s at March, one departmental for train heating, the other I have a BR number for. I'm pretty sure neither was in steam, it doesn't say they were.
Also understand Black 5s were in regular Saturday use to Skeg in summer 1965, the last year there.
Probably not much interest, just felt would like to try and contribute something!
Hardy
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Hardy »

Hi Igamba if you are still around ?

Thanks for your input, may be it was 1965. My brother and I walked to the station from Riseholme on the northern boundary of Lincoln. We returned later in the day on a bus I think. I would have been about 14 at the time and we went without any great expectations of seeing anything other than diesels as living near Norwich, steam disappeared quite early on. Anyway we were chuffed (pun intended!) to bits to see not one but two BR steam locos in service.

So I wonder if the two ‘davesrailpics’ images for 1966 are incorrectly dated.

We have some of my mother’s diaries still, I’ll see if there’s coverage of the mid 60’s as there ought to be some mention of us visiting my grandparents in Lincoln.