Excellent Historical Photos

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Excellent Historical Photos

Post by Malcolm »

Isn't ours a grand hobby?
Was browsing the net this evening and came across these pictures. They were so good I thought you all ought to see them (if you haven't already). From a historical point of view (my major interest) I feel they give a great glimpse into the past.
Incidentally, does anyone know the location of the photo taken of A3 2743 Felstead?
I haven't got a clue where the shot is taken, but would be interested to know.
As for the pictures, I am an ardent NER fan but I think my favourite photo is the shot of Beccles station.
More to follow.

Malcolm
Last edited by Malcolm on Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: Excellent Historical Photos (2)

Post by Malcolm »

The last of the pictures.

Malcolm
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Excellent Historical Photos

Post by 52D »

I love the picture of Beccles, I too am an NER man but working in GER territory. I have passed Beccles many times I must look in when i next pass to see what actually remains. I think its only a single line to Lowestoft.
On the Felstead photo can anyone suggest what the enamel advert is for at the front of the engine.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by hq1hitchin »

Yes, some wonderful shots here - just look at those dignitaries posed with the Jubilee at KX! Beccles is great, too and one of those contraptions still exists at Brockenhurst on the upside but doesn't see much use nowadays since the enhanced SWT timetable means the Up Slow platform is regularly used by trains.
Felstead is passing somewhere on the GN (guess would be Potters Bar, Hougham or Claypole but not really sure - the chimney extreme right should give a clue) but the ad is for for Bovril, still very much available today. My mate sat behind me in the General Offices at Waterloo used to have a cup at 1100 every morning.....
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

I'll go with Potters Bar.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Ah yes Bovril i can see it now thanks.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

The last time I was at Beccles was in 1969, and I can remember that contraption clearly (even the warning light mounted on it). There must have been others somewhere besides Brockenhurst.

Malcolm
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

I think Halesworth had platforms attached to the level crossing gates..

http://www.urban75.org/photos/suffolk/b ... worth.html

Just done a quick search on the net and found these photos. Scroll down and there are pictures of the former level crossing/platform.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

The last time I was at Beccles was in 1969, and I can remember that contraption clearly (even the warning light mounted on it). There must have been others somewhere besides Brockenhurst.
There was the platform bridge at Malton that retreated back into the platform when trains were due.
brsince78
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by brsince78 »

I can't tell from the photogrpah but I wonder how (if?) contraption was interlocked with the signalling ??
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by hq1hitchin »

Can't say with Beccles but Brockenhurst has a lever release frame by the side of the side, with the release being given by the signalman in the box opposite. Strangely enough, in these fragmented times, SWT station staff are trained to work the 'lineside equipment' - a rare event although perhaps equally strange in the situation at Templecombe where, believe it or not, the Network Rail signalmen run the booking office, which is actually in the signalbox, it being done on the strict understanding that train working takes preference over selling day returns to Waterloo! Works very well indeed, though - they also look after the waiting room, which is immaculate and has magazines and papers for passengers to read.
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
YNMR
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by YNMR »

The Scarborough pictures are of Washbeck Excursion Station (The station wasn't renamed Scarborough Londesborough Road until 1933)
73D
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 73D »

An interesting picture of Silver Link as it clearly shows the original nameplate bolt holes, which have been retouched out of some of the official pictures taken around this time.
sir visto
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by sir visto »

Something strikes me as odd about the Silver Jubilee photo. The well known film (see it on YouTube)of the inaugural run shows Silver Link standing at a platform at the fireman's side together with all the dignitaries. Was this photo taken on another occasion ? Obviously the photo hasn't been transposed as the locomotive would be right hand drive.

Don
Cadiz
Better steam than CO
73D
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 73D »

The photograph of Silver Link was taken at KX after the inaugural public trip of the ‘Silver Jubilee’ on 30th September 1935 and has the Mayors of London, Newcastle and Darlington next to the locomotive along with some London Sheriffs.