Drivers + Flying Scotsman

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey

Re: Drivers + Flying Scotsman

Post by Mickey »

52D wrote:It is often overlooked that there were North and South bound departures from Kings Cross & Waverley at 10.00.
A lesser known train departure from Kings cross was the noctural 'Night Scotsman' as well.

Mickey
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Yep, totally correct, was called the Scotch Express for many years,

Now to go a bit off topic, after the crash at Abbots Ripton, a monument was erected in the honour of those who died, I believe it was moved when the line was four track, any one know where it went ????

manna.

PS, there is a picture in the book Hitchin to Peterborough.
Last edited by manna on Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

chris madder wrote:Hello Marilyn, my name is Chris Madder I live in NZ but was born in England and have been here for 15 years. I have an Uncle back in England who had crewed on the Flying Scotsman (4472) as a fireman I recently had to go back to Leicester in the uk for my mothers funeral, I had a long chat with my uncle about his time spent working on the railways and particularly the Flying Scotsman he showed me a book he had on the railways in and around Leicestershire which illustrated not only the locomotives etc but also some of the drivers/firemen, one of the photos was of a driver called Dodds I pointed the photo as a matter of curiosity to my uncle who recognised him as 'Doddy' My Uncle's name is Colin Thompson. I apologise if this information is out of date but I went online to find out if there was a list of drivers/firemen that had crewed the 'Scotsman' and I came across this LNER Encyclopedia website.
Chris
It's been a few years since Marilyn's enquiries last appeared, so it may be a bit unlikely she'd have seen your post Chris.

However, if our moderator Richard has her email address (I mean, you have to give that when you join the forum) it's possible he could contact her and alert her to your post. Assuming, of course, her email is the same.

Just trying to help.

Cheers, Giner
GNR Genealogist
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by GNR Genealogist »

For people researching railway relations, there is an excellent book written by David Hawkings called "Railway Relations - A Guide to the Staff Records of the Railway Companies of England and Wales 1822-1947", published by The History Press.

This lists all those railway records at the National Archives that are of benefit to family historians. There are many records listed for the Norh Eastern Railway and they give the specific reference or "piece " number needed to order the records at Kew. High,y recommended.

ISBN is 978 0 7509 5058 9
chris madder
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by chris madder »

Hi GINER. Re Marilyn/Dodds. My Uncle, Colin Thompson has just died (92) my sister in Leicester is now sorting through his personal belongings she is pretty certain which Railway book has the photo of Mr Dodds in. If she can find it she'll send it here to me in New Zealand and if I can get Marilyn's e-mail address and subsequently her address in Australia I'm quite willing to send her the book.
Chris Madder