"Grantham - The Streamliner Years"

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: "Grantham - The Streamliner Years"

Post by jwealleans »

I don't know how large the largest oil engines from Ruston's were. I have a bogie well wagon carrying a very large crate, if required.....
I think that's the way we're going to go. I did find a picture of a smallish crate with wheels attached over the summer, but naturally can't locate it now. I had in mind a number of removable crates for the operators to place into opens and onto Lowmacs.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Grantham is due to appear at the St. Neots show in three or four weeks time, so a fettling and running weekend was organised yesterday and today. For once I had the time to take some photos, so here are a few to (ideally) encourage you to come and see us and support what I'm told is a very good show.

These are just what was in front of the camera at the time rather than any of the new vehicles or scenic features which will be apparent at St Neots and those who follow my workbench will be familiar with many of the subjects.

Enterprise waiting in the north end loco spur to work back to her home shed of Doncaster.

Winter sunshine on 706 working the up ECS from York Holgate to Hornsey.

4401 in the south end loco spur awaiting her next trip towards London.

We then managed a trio of Atlantics. I think it's often forgotten that for most of its existence the LNER had far more Atlantics than Pacifics and they worked top line expresses alongside A1/3s and A4s for much of the prewar era. We have a total of 7 C1s, a C2 and the C7 available and we try to make as much use of them as we can.

Another shot of the south end and different CMEs versions of the 4-4-2.

Tracery having detached from a train waiting to cross over and run north to go onto shed.

I weathered up this set of Bachmann tankers last year.

The grain hoppers were done some time ago - there are a few more to do - but Paul Bolton's Lee & Grinling buildings are always worth another look.

Wagons awaiting the trip to the Ambergate coal yard seen across the depot coal stacks.

The Sentinel shunter outside the Ruston & Hornsby building. This will be replaced in time by the then current steam locomotive.

An attempt at an arty shot through the water crane. I'm not completely convinced. The J11 is a renumbered and weathered Bachmann.
Last edited by jwealleans on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

A lovely selection of pictures of scenes around Grantham, thanks.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Oh to be in England . . .

Thank you very much for your superb photos Mr. Walleans.
burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by burnie »

Just joined and doing some catching up with posts of interest, I remember cycling with a pal from Leicester to Grantham in the summer of 1961, we spent the day there and cycled back the same day, very sore the next day, but this has helped remind me of the day, great detailed work done.
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

burnie wrote:Just joined and doing some catching up with posts of interest, I remember cycling with a pal from Leicester to Grantham in the summer of 1961, we spent the day there and cycled back the same day, very sore the next day, but this has helped remind me of the day, great detailed work done.
Glad it brought back happy (but slightly painful?) memories. Here's our little homage to people like yourself:
IMG_5123_LR.jpg
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
52D sub shed
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 52D sub shed »

Please oh please Gods of the mighty Grantham ECML return to this fold make this unworthy forum your main your main point of contact to the world of east coast, maybe only forum.
We have wonderful parties, both exotic, and for the inner circle, erotic parties in a Grimsby cafe, Samantha and Sven both say you can have close look at there points.
Please come and join our happy band, leave the dark side to their own device or it may be vices, my hearing is not so good.
They do not like you over there, often talking about you behind your back
I have Great Western engine I will sacrifice to please the Gods.

Geoff
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

You make a persuasive case, and I would happily bring to bear on the layout owner whatever influence I can, if he'll listen, but you'll have to tell me which Grimsby café and name the party goers. :lol:

You never know, I might want to attend said parties - or rigorously avoid them.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by burnie »

I have started a modest layout in my loft that will be paying homage to both Grantham and the Great Central line near my childhood home. Due to lack of both space and money to spend on this now expensive hobby, this is a compromise layout that will run the odd Thomas the Tank specials when the grandchildren come to play.
I have a question re a brass V2 I built on a scratch built chassis some30 years ago, I never got round to painting it, I intended it to be the loco St. Peters School of York. The back story is I was going fishing on the canal adjacent to the line, this involved going through the hole in our hedge, crossing a short field and then crossing the line. On reaching the line on a fabulous early summer morning at around 5.30 am, I noticed a train coming and waited for it to pass. Out of the cutting came this loco, gleaming as if brand new, obviously been in for some fairly major service repair work, this would have been either 1962 or '63.
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

Baron von Shields wrote:Please oh please Gods of the mighty Grantham ECML return to this fold make this unworthy forum your main your main point of contact to the world of east coast, maybe only forum.
We have wonderful parties, both exotic, and for the inner circle, erotic parties in a Grimsby cafe, Samantha and Sven both say you can have close look at there points.
Please come and join our happy band, leave the dark side to their own device or it may be vices, my hearing is not so good.
They do not like you over there, often talking about you behind your back
I have Great Western engine I will sacrifice to please the Gods.

Geoff
The men in white coats will be out looking for you...
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Hartlepool Show.
DSC_9757 crop low res.jpg
A grabbed shot on the 'correct side' of the show. Can anyone identify which part of the northbound sequence this is?

John
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

That train behind the A4 is a KX - Leeds, I think, which comes through South Yard to go onto the main. I only recall it happening once, so Red Leader can probably tell you what move it is.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I've always been too busy with something or other, even if only yapping to the public or making tea, to notice that move!
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Posting from our Leader on RMweb, reproduced here for informational purposes:

Very much looking forward to being part of this coming weekend's Warner's / MRC London show at Ally Pally......See you at the show if you're planning to be there.

And if you aren't and are perhaps one of our more distant followers or otherwise unable to attend a show then the next announcement might just be for you:

In conjunction with Andy Wilkinson of Shootingimage Ltd, we have been working towards producing a DVD presentation of the layout. As well as his interest in the hobby, Andy is a professional video maker and has very kindly applied his full array of 'kit' to this project to produce a lasting momento of the layout as well as something for anyone interested to enjoy. The full DVD runs for 51 minutes - here is a little spoiler to whet your appetite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbmNc73 ... e=youtu.be

The first 50 copies will be available to purchase at Ally Pally and we will aim to have copies with us at all future shows going forward. If you are interested in a copy and are unlikely to be able to catch us at a show them please PM me in the first instance and I'll let you know how to go about acquiring one. The only proviso I'll mention up front is do bear with us in processing any requests at least initially in case we get inundated. We will print as many as we need and I will periodically highlight its availability on the thread.

Otherwise, hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoyed making it - and my grateful thanks to Andy for putting in the lion's share of the effort to make the DVD available.
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

Great idea to consider a downloadable version, I hope that happens. Looking forward to it.

Cheers
Paul