GCR and GNR Baldwins. sources of information on these elusive locomotives?

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

GCR and GNR Baldwins. sources of information on these elusive locomotives?

Post by Nova »

A while back I stumbled across an image of one of the Baldwin Moguls purchased by the GNR and GCR in the late 1800s but have so far been unable to find any information on these two classes with which to attempt to scratch build or kitbash a model as something of an out-of-time interloper on the layout.

are there any books or web links that can help me with my quest?

Edit: Also information on a suitable chassis to use as a basis would be much apreciated
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: GCR and GNR Baldwins. sources of information on these elusive locomotives?

Post by Dave S »

Great Northern Locomotives by Groves Vol 3a
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

Nova wrote:Edit: Also information on a suitable chassis to use as a basis would be much apreciated
Forgot to add that the chassis would be a scratch build (stand to be corrected)
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

I'd say so too, nothing with quite the combination of wheel spacing that the 6 coupled element has, and it has a small diameter and low pitched boiler too, requiring a very compact mechanism. The nearest thing in UK RTR may well be the J15 mechanism, good for the 5' wheel diameter, low pitched boiler, and the firebox end wheel spacing of 8'6". Moving the front axle to the correct 6'3" spacing not impossible if prepared to modify the casting. Better yet though, take the layout of this model mechanism as a guide to scratchbuilding a complete new mechanism; that would also more easily accomodate the appearance of the bar frames and the prominent equalising beam between the centre and rear drivers.

I have somewhere seen a 4mm model of the very similar moguls purchased slightly earlier by the Midland Railway, and I am wondering if it is among the models in the NRM at York.
sturrock
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by sturrock »

In G F Bird's "Locos of the GN Rlwy" 1847-1910 he gives an excellent summary and specifications accompanied by a detailed drawing (pp171-3 and fig. 102) Likewise the Midland Record No. 1 supplement "American locos. of the Midland R." by David Hunt also has a detailed drawing of the near-identical MR version. Incidentally the latter book has details of an entirely different Schenectady 2 6 0 built to the same specs. and supplied in lesser numbers but only to the MR. I am willing to send photocopies of any of these to anyone interested if they contact me on jjhilton@internode.on.net bearing in mind I am in Australia and snail mail may take some time.