Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Micks 4mm LNER Models

Post by Blink Bonny »

Cor!

That will beat my bodge up!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Oxford Cattle and 6 plank wagons repainted and numbered.
IMG_2142.JPG
IMG_2143.JPG
IMG_2144.JPG
IMG_2145.JPG
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Your Oxford Cattle Wagon looks excellent Mick. What's your view on it? I have indulged in them for my modelling too. Cut and shut the sides on two, working my way through the rest of them.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Simple conversion at about £6 all in, no problem.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

More Thompson's A1/1 finished via Graeme's Resin and Hornby A3 base .
IMG_2229.JPG
IMG_2230.JPG
IMG_2234.JPG
IMG_2235.JPG
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Work in progress on a A2/1 Duke of Rothesay which will is replacing my old Nucast version which has been sold on. Graeme's parts again with a Bachmann V2 Body, A2 chassis , GBL A4 Roof and a much modified Bachmann GS Tender.

IMG_2243.JPG
IMG_2242.JPG
IMG_2241.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Nice models Mick.

Where do you get the brass items from on the V2 body and tender.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Dome and water filler Via ebay , he did have more on ebay this week . Brake standards are from Dave Bradwell he sells various castings separately.

cheers
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thanks Mick.
LNER4489
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by LNER4489 »

mick b wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:18 am In between DIY the following have been finished :D

A couple of damaged GN tenders both had broken/missing coal rails ,damage to lining and minor dents. Rails repaired with microstrip and on one a new complete topside plated rail.

1.jpg

2.jpg
Dear Mick, just a thank you from me. I had a GNR tender with a broken rear coal plate and mostly missing coal rail, (picked up from a show in Canada) just as the ones you illustrated. I repaired them with various evergreen strips and it looks quite serviceable now, so thank you very much for posting your pictures. Tom
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

You are welcome, I suggest you treat with care as it will be more fragile than the original moulding.
MorfieldCentral
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by MorfieldCentral »

Hello mick, ive been viewing your posts without logging in (forgot id and pw!) for a couple of years now... id love to be at your level of modelling straight off but I realise it takes experience, so all ive done is some simple renumbering and repainting so far... do you have any advice for a newbie entertaining the idea of building some bass/white metal items as well as modifying/building/painting some teak coaches?
cheers, Lee
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

MorfieldCentral wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:03 pm Hello mick, ive been viewing your posts without logging in (forgot id and pw!) for a couple of years now... id love to be at your level of modelling straight off but I realise it takes experience, so all ive done is some simple renumbering and repainting so far... do you have any advice for a newbie entertaining the idea of building some bass/white metal items as well as modifying/building/painting some teak coaches?
cheers, Lee

Huge question , can you be a bit more specific and I will try and help.
MorfieldCentral
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by MorfieldCentral »

Well id like to try modifying some Hornby coaches with different sides and maybe build either a plastic or brass restaurant triplet set... so basically most of the stuff you cant buy rtr. having not tried anything on that level, I wondered what if anything you would suggest I start with before I go in at the deep end and possibly ruin a kit or two. I presume there is a lot of trial and error, not sure if there is any specific kit out there that make life easier too? :lol:
Lee
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Still not much to go on.

Obvious replies to change coach sides

Can you solder/do you know how too ?

Cut plastic/do you know how too ?

How much do you want to spend? e.g Arctic Restaurant sides/kits are not cheap and not a easy kit either.

I suggest get a Hornby Gresley super detail version or Bachmann Thompson coach if you can find any that suit your conversion/pocket. MJT, Comet and Southern Pride do kits and/or sides. All will need soldering during the build.

Comet have instructions on their webpage as do MJT.