GNR Headcodes

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

GCRailways
NER Y7 0-4-0T

GNR Headcodes

Post by GCRailways »

Hello,

(I've been a member of the forum for some time, but this is my first post.)

Does anyone know where I could find information on GNR headcodes? I thought I found a diagram online a long time ago, but can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks,
Aaron
swhite01
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: GNR Headcodes

Post by swhite01 »

Aaron,
Apologies for the delay in posting this note. I have 2 images from the GNR 1912 Appendix to WTT, pages 63 & 64 show the locomotive lamp codes in use at the time although I understand that the GNR did change these at some point.
The images were too large to load onto this message so I have placed them on my Flickr site. The link for the 1st page is here:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8336963@N ... ed-public/

I hope this is of use to you,

Steve

http://www.gnrsociety.com
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 61962 »

RCTS Great Northern Locomotive History Volume 3b 1911 - 1922 Appendix C lists the GNR Headlamp codes that were in operation until 31/1/1902 and the RCH Codes used afterwards, which are those shown in Steve's WTT.

These were different in some cases from those adopted by the LNER and subsequently BR, but I can't say when these were changed.

Eddie
GCRailways
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by GCRailways »

Thanks! Just placed an order for that book yesterday (I've already got the first two volumes). I plan on using the pre-1902 headcodes, even though one one of the engines is an N2.