Atso's new loco works - now including my Hadley Wood layout build

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Atso's new loco works

Post by Atso »

Dave wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 9:35 am Wow and all at N gauge, I find it hard at 4mm.
Thanks Dave. For somebody who finds 4mm hard, you do a very good job of it! 8)

A bit more lining on the K3s. I've finally bitten the bullet and put some red on the inside of the BR mixed traffic livery. I did briefly think about trying to add the cream line as well but decided one miracle would suffice for this loco. Both K3s now have some valance lining although I've missed the bit above the steps on the LNER version and am awaiting for the grey to dry on the BR one.

They were alone either.

The D49 has also received some valance lining as well as some general touch ups to the paintwork. With luck the photos above will come out around 110% of actual size. A couple more bits to clean up on the LNER locos and then they are ready for the whole lot to be repeated on the other side!! :shock:
Steve
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Atso wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 5:54 pm
Not having to relevant copy of Yeadon's and being too poor to purchase a copy at the moment, I'd be most grateful if you could shed any light on this. If things still prove to be inconclusive, I think I'll line them - just because I can. :lol:

Many thanks
Happy to have a look when I get in later tonight. No problem.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

S.A.C. Martin wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 5:21 pmHappy to have a look when I get in later tonight. No problem.
Thank you very much. :D
Steve
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Atso wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 5:51 pm
S.A.C. Martin wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 5:21 pmHappy to have a look when I get in later tonight. No problem.
Thank you very much. :D
Sorry - stuff happened this week!

From my copy of Yeadon's, I have looked closely at every single LNER liveried D49. Not a single one across the two different boiler types has lined out washout plugs. I double checked - cannot find any evidence in Yeadon's (photographically) that they were ever lined out.

With one - and only one - exception. On page 69, in 1965, with a preservation era livery, is Morayshire - and the washout plugs (on the later boiler type) are clearly lined out. That's it, one loco.

There is no mention anywhere of the washout plugs being lined out. I don't have my RCTS to hand to comment further - but if I was a betting man, I'd say only Morayshire had these lined out washout plugs, and only in preservation.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

The problem with Morayshire in preservation was in 2003, the colour green that was used in the repaint, it was from my observation at Doncaster 150, and the photos I still have, definitely not a Darlington or Doncaster colour, so whether lining of washout plugs is also accurate is I think open to
comment

Paul
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I observed the "interesting" pea green shade too! The "milky" shade of green that had been applied to 4472 at that time (sprayed I'm told) was far from ideal too....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Had a look at RCTS this evening and looked at my collected notes on D49s from my archive The Railway Magazine books (1930-68). No photographs of any of the originals with painted washout plugs I am afraid. Rather confirms my theory about Morayshire - but that doesn't preclude me being wrong and there was one somewhere. It just doesn't look very likely to me.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Wow, Simon, Paul and Graeme thank you for all that. So the safer and most likely correct option would be to save a tiny amount of paint and leave the washout plugs unlined for Lincolnshire.

With regard to shades of apple green used, I do agree that Morayshire didn't look right back then. I don't remember Scotsman in 'milky green' so cannot comment.

Thank you again for the help and information.
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hi all,

I've just noticed that I've not updated this thread for a little while. Things have been slowly progressing as can be seen below.
K2 2425 Doc Large.jpg
K3 61879 Doc Large.jpg
D49 Lincolnshire Doc Large.jpg
D49-2 The Middleton.jpg
Steve
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Amazing Steve and especially at 2mm scale, and a nice collection of locos you are assembling.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

The apple green D49 in particular is rather epic!
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Lovely.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Dave wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:16 am Amazing Steve and especially at 2mm scale, and a nice collection of locos you are assembling.
Thanks Dave, unfortunately I won't be keeping all of them (the LNER ones are mine though!).
S.A.C. Martin wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:53 pm The apple green D49 in particular is rather epic!
Simon, I'm glad somebody finally likes the apple Green D49! Over on the N Gauge Forum they're all smitten by the BR black one - I guess there is no accounting for taste! :lol:
manna wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:56 pm Lovely.
Thanks Manna, I'm enjoying watching your J3 builds. 8)
Steve
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Atso wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:04 pm
Simon, I'm glad somebody finally likes the apple Green D49! Over on the N Gauge Forum they're all smitten by the BR black one - I guess there is no accounting for taste! :lol:
Excellent taste in locomotives and their liveries is rare, and almost entirely restricted in my experience to those of us who model the pre-1941 era on the LNER and its constituent companies.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:28 pm
Atso wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:04 pm
Excellent taste in locomotives and their liveries is rare, and almost entirely restricted in my experience to those of us who model the pre-1941 era on the LNER and its constituent companies.
Splendid models. I have a Hunt in my projects box, and if I can make mine, at twice the size, look half as good as yours I will be very pleased.
As regards Atlantic's preference as regards dates, does that mean that as my railway is basically set in 1947 my taste in models is questionable?

What a shame that no D49 made it back into LNER Green. I'll just have to pretend - or use my 'alternative' date of 1938!