Haywood - Updated Locomotive roster

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Haywood (Formerly Coalby & Marblethorpe) - some what-if musings and an eventual layout

Post by Nova »

currently I have a few pre-ww2 based fictional locomotives destined to run on the layout that I have planned (and one could very well

a small class of high powered 4-6-0s tried out as an alternative to the V2. featuring a tapered as the major defining feature (inspired by talks in this forum)

a GNR designed small prairie of which Graeme King of this forum has already built a model of

a modification of the N2, but built to a German articulation principle I read about once where the locomotives in question are essentially tank engines with the rear cab bulkhead, coal bunker and water tank are on permanently coupled "tender"

An "updated" Gresley Pacific (A3/2 Perhaps?) featuring a self cleaning smokebox, double chimney and V2 style cab, but still retaining that well known Gresley aesthetic to represent some final development, had they been actually designed under Gresley probably only 1 or 2 would have been built before the order would have been cancelled by Thompson, but nonetheless representing an interesting variation.

finally, and this is moving very much into the realms of fiction, a Prototype A1, classified under Thompson as A1/2 and numbered 701 (the A3/2s being 702 & 703). it would essentially be a runt in the pacific stable, retaining a great Northern pattern cab, 170 psi tapered boiler, two cylinders, a front running board similar to on the prototype O3 and right hand drive, it would have been allocated as a stand-in pilot at Doncaster as well as taking the occasional mixed goods or local semi-fast.
During the period I intend to model the loco it would have been very run down and towards the end of its life, worse even than the likes of Thompson pacifics, so a liberal application of filth and limescale will be applied.
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
Mersey508138
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: Haywood (Formerly Coalby & Marblethorpe) - some what-if musings and an eventual layout

Post by Mersey508138 »

Sounds interesting. Any pics.

I have not been able to submit the pic of my 4-8-4 Chassis on here but will try to put it on RMweb if I can get the picture size low enough.
Nova

Post by Nova »

Mersey508138 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:39 pm Sounds interesting. Any pics.

I have not been able to submit the pic of my 4-8-4 Chassis on here but will try to put it on RMweb if I can get the picture size low enough.
all in the planning stage unfortunately

I do however have a Railroad A1 which will provide the donor for "Genesis", as I'm now calling the prototype A1, might even have it named as such by way of the staff of Doncaster shed creating a set of plates for her upon Gresley's unfortunate passing.

I'll see if I can get some plasticard at some point and then I can begin butchering the donor loco
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

Nova

Re: Haywood (Formerly Coalby & Marblethorpe) - (First Project!!!) kitbashing a fictitious Gresley A1 prototype

Post by Nova »

well that's done it, work on creating something resembling a prototype pacific has officially started :roll:

apologies for the terrible images, I was using my phone with the flash on as the lighting isn't the best in this room. The idea is to create something featuring some of Greasley's earlier hallmarks such as on the K1 and K2s, when he hadn't fully developed his own style, as such the running board ahead of the cylinders will be straight instead of curving up and the cab will be similar to on the K2/1 (but not identical due to the starting point). I now have to wait till friday to neaten up the cab and front with some files then I can add some plasticard

as it's my very first attempt at kit bashing it won't be perfect, but it's more about having a go and seeing what happens that striving for absolute modeling perfection.

at least now I can say I'm actually working on projects rather than being an armchair modeller

Nova

Re: Haywood (Formerly Coalby & Marblethorpe) - (First Project!!!) kitbashing a fictitious Gresley A1 prototype

Post by Nova »

tinkered about slightly with the front end on the A1, as a result it currently looks like some in progress shot of one of the countless newbuild locos kicking about

I'm currently referring to a scale drawing of a Gresley K2 from the April 2009 edition of BRM for detail work on the front end, as a result quite a bit of original material has been removed pending replacement with sections of plasticard, excuse the very blury picture, the phone doen't do close up shots

the finished product should have the much squarer looking stylings of the K2's running board and bufferbeam.

I should make some real progress tonight when I visit the local model railway club, where I can access my toolbox

Nova

Post by Nova »

Quick update on the "A1/2"

the front running board is 90% complete or at least what I'd be satisfied with at my current skill level, all the structural work is done and the running boards have a good layer of filler which I will file and sand back to a smooth surface next Tuesday.to be honest I'm pleased that it;s turned out as square as it has considering it's my first attempt at that sort of modification

the cab is now at the stage where it can form the basis on which to built the new cab, though really I shot myself in the foot removing the second set of cab windows (or most of the cab for that matter), but you live and learn :?

Nova

Post by Nova »

moving onto other projects briefly, I have the beginings of the primary passenger rake for the Haywood & Whitley part of the layout.

one of the Graham Farish 00 generic corredor coaches which were released in a variety of liveries, this one has been subjected to basic interior detailing just to differentiate the different classes of compartments. followed by stepboards added to the bogies to make the design look a little more dated. I'm still debating on whether to have the step boards run the length of the carriage though, that will have to wait until I can get more plasticard anyway. (I'm down to the last few scraps of plasticard cleaned up and squared off so I can make use of them)

the roof has received one of my first attempts at wash weathering, using a wash of my own mix using non-exact ratio of black, grey and a touch of brown.Liberally applied to the roof, left for about 30-40 seconds then wiped off with a rag moving the rag back and forth along the length of the coach roof. Honestly I'm pleased it's come out as well as it has.

it will eventually become part of a four coach rake, forming a four times daily service between Doncaster and York over the HW&YR, hauled by a 4-4-0 or 2-6-0. I'm debating whether to have one coach as a buffet car, with a formation of two Composite Corredors, a Restaurant Buffet and a Composite brake

Nova

Post by Nova »

in a very productive evening I was able to make some huge progress on the A1/2. I was even able to scrounge a tender off of the Bachmann TTTE-range Emily, the huge irony is that despite being marketed as HO, the buffers are the same distance apart as with OO as well as being to the same basic proportions. though the chassis was a bit tall so I had to find some smaller European wheels to lower it. bringing it to the right overall height. meaning it makes an OK-ish representation of a GNR coal rail tender, if a bit basic. in fairness it is aimed at kids so I'm not complaining

a quick run around the club's layout, along with the expected quizzical glances revealed that both loco and tender perform wonderfully. It's of note that the chairman, a staunch LNER fan himself having lived long enough to have seen it first hand in the late 40s, did commend me on the tender having coal rails "as a GNR tender should" :D

with testing complete I set about modifying the tender body, not being completely satisfied with the pile of coal on the top of the tender an no apparent way for the fireman to shovel it into the firebox, so I set about hacking away with a saw and creating a new front bulkhead with parts from a Dapol Schools class. i'm not concerned about it being accurate. only about it looking passable once painted. the next job will be creating a space for some real coal to go

I shall be getting some black spray paint on Thursday and ordering some LNER post war transfers from fox transfers. it shall be going in LNER wartime black until I can replace the cab with an Ivatt-style cab to make it more akin to a GNR K1, then it shall be going in post war lined green.

S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

That's a really interesting "what if" actually. The Gresley Pacific was in development as early as 1913 and we have a very early drawing of what was effectively a lengthened GNR Atlantic in many respects. The 8 wheel tender hadn't been designed at this time so who is to say a 6 wheel version ala the other GNR engines of the time wouldn't have been developed?

Full respect, looks very good to me.
Nova

Post by Nova »

S.A.C. Martin wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:54 am That's a really interesting "what if" actually. The Gresley Pacific was in development as early as 1913 and we have a very early drawing of what was effectively a lengthened GNR Atlantic in many respects. The 8 wheel tender hadn't been designed at this time so who is to say a 6 wheel version ala the other GNR engines of the time wouldn't have been developed?

thank you very much!!! that means alot coming from one of the more well known modelers out there :D

S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Nova wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:29 am
S.A.C. Martin wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:54 am That's a really interesting "what if" actually. The Gresley Pacific was in development as early as 1913 and we have a very early drawing of what was effectively a lengthened GNR Atlantic in many respects. The 8 wheel tender hadn't been designed at this time so who is to say a 6 wheel version ala the other GNR engines of the time wouldn't have been developed?

thank you very much!!! that means alot coming from one of the more well known modelers out there :D
The word you're looking for is "infamous" but thank you all the same. :)
Nova

Post by Nova »

the final modifications have been performed on the A1/2 and it is currently sat on a table near me waiting to be spray painted gloss black tommorow.

this time around work was focussed almost exclusively on the tender, namely adding a coal space and filling said coal space so that glue wouldn't seep out when I fit real coal.

I also added steps sacrificed from a Hornby LNER 8 wheel tender

I then took the last minute decision to fit Bachmann sprung buffers to both the loco and tender to tie them together a bit better

in addition to these I also have a Hornby N2 that I modified into an N2/3 (at least I'm sure it is, it's one of the subclasses without condensing pipes) and a Triang 3F, both sat soaking in a jar of Dettol, my go-to paint stripper.

the N2 will be hopefully painted with as much care as the A1/2, whilst the 3F will be serving as spray practice, and if all goes well it will eventually receive some LMS post war letters

I will state now that the A1/2 isn't 100% classed as "done". this is just a stopgap until I can fit a GNR cab and possibly alter the running plate further. hence why it's only going in unlined black as an immediate post war livery

Richard i
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Richard i »

Have you seen the alterations to an Emily tender to make it more GN which was done to make a more accurate stirling single?
Nova

Post by Nova »

Richard i wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:32 am Have you seen the alterations to an Emily tender to make it more GN which was done to make a more accurate stirling single?
No I haven't, though I would be interested in seeing it. either way it's currently at the point where I'm happy with it and at some point in the future I'll probably replace it with a proper GNR tender anyway

cctransuk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by cctransuk »

Nova wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:33 am
Richard i wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:32 am Have you seen the alterations to an Emily tender to make it more GN which was done to make a more accurate stirling single?
No I haven't, though I would be interested in seeing it. either way it's currently at the point where I'm happy with it and at some point in the future I'll probably replace it with a proper GNR tender anyway
Might I suggest that the old Lima 'pizza-cutter' wheels of the tender detract somewhat from this conversion?

A slice taken out of the frames above the springs would enable much more visually attractive, larger diameter wheels to be fitted; not a difficult cut-and-shut.

Regards,
John Isherwood.