On my Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: An Atlantic is born!!!!!

Post by Blink Bonny »

LNER green it will be!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ye Gods!

What a fortnight it's been!

Photo work has gone mad so little progress to report. And no chance at all of a Mole End session in the near future so I shall have to set up the shed board for some pics. Sure I've met myself 14 times this week alone.....
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Speaking of photos.......

And yes, I know I'm not making progress on my own thread updates at present, so I'll give myself another firm ticking off!
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Cor!

What a mad few weeks!

My new occupation is a photographer with the National Trust and it has gone mental! Plus a lot of roaring around sorting things out so no further progress to report.

Hoping to get Mole End out tomorrow for some relaxation. Anyone fancy odds that summat stops this happening?
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Oh, FFS!!!!!

I had 5 projects that were to have their debuts today.

1. Johnson 0-4-4T. This has been remotored using a cheapo Mitsumi motor from the Bay of Evil. Runs on the rollers OK, time to test on layout.

2. Stanier/Lemon 0-4-4T. Same comments as above but a compensated chassis adds complications.

3. 2 Ratio MR Suburbans. New bogies required after dropping the box. 1 bolster broken during installation on each coach.

4. Scratchbuilt LMS Crab. Romforditis has struck here, one of the insulated wheels is shorting merrily.

5. GNR Atlantic. This has been reassembled only for the footplate to part company with the firebox and running plate on the fireman's side. looks like the 70 deg solder was no good for this job so on the nets to order some better stuff.

At least I found some nice sprung buffers (Ks?) for the Atlantic. 3 steps forward, 3 steps back....

I'm sure you can understand why today's Mole End session has been cancelled. Pardon me and pass the lawn mower......
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Anger has subsided and a plan has formed. I need some proper 70 deg from Carr's, the stuff I used is not good. Oh, and both Carr's and C&L Finescale are no longer trading. So where I get the green label flux from God only knows!!!

So, ordered some solder from another company so rebuild work will start on Friday in all probability.
Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Danby Wiske »

Carr's products are now available from Phoenix Precision - have a look at their website...
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

banging the drum for London Road Models, I know that John can and does provide both 70 and 145 solder, plus at exhibitions he provides flux for both too.
Not sure about UK postal regs re flux these days, that might be more difficult.

HTH

Paul
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

I had a look at Phoenix Precision but the 90deg was not listed. London Road models? Heading there now.....

Many thanks!
John Palmer
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by John Palmer »

https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/produc ... kets/c1001 should take you to the relevant entry on the Precision Paints site. Also available from Chronos Engineering, it seems - https://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Eng ... html#aSCD1.

What was wrong with the low melt solder you were using? I am an occasional user of the Carrs low melt, but would like to know why a particular product is to be avoided if/when I need to get more.

Must say that I'm not much of an enthusiast for low melt, but sometimes needs must with white metal components. If soldering white metal to brass the brass will need tinning first, and I find that the use of ample flux in conjunction with an iron having a decent heat reservoir generally promotes success.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Well, now that everything has been delivered, work can recommence.

Carr's No 70 really does make one hell of a difference, doesn't it? The joint takes better and it's easier to clean up! No more cheapo solder for this guy! Nearly ready for her 1st photo on here, just a wee bit more to do. At least the structure is now sound once again.

I also received a class 56 diesel. Forgot about that..... and yes it did set the train detector off!!!
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Long time no see but I may have worked out something to ease the burden! I realised that ultra close up work was the problem with the hole in a handrail knob impossible to see and, therefore, thread onto the wire so frustration set in.

A pair of +2 reading glasses and I've just threaded one easily. OK, beyond maybe 2 feet away, they make me blind as a bat and reading with them? :lol: :lol: :lol: But for the bench, ideal!

However, looking forward to a day at the bench for the 1st time in a long time! Well, I gotta do SUMMAT while there's some strange ritual involving punching anyone not wearing a yellow shirt on at the Molineaux......
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Oh, and 2 new acquisitions, both Dublo.

46221 Queen Mary I suspect started life as City of Liverpool (ie the rare 3 rail version) but has been converted to 2 rail and repainted green. My 1st thought was 46229 but she's grown on me.

The other is another trip to the Dark Side, 7013, Bristol Castle. Another 2 rail convert she needed some decent pickups. This was I found that ringfield pickups will not fit a half inch motor chassis so out came the copper clad and wire. Much easier with my new specs!
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Speaking of Dublo i attended Cradley Heath show last weekend and bought an N2 complete and a casting, the casting has been fettled and the body is starting to look the business . Theres plenty of life in the old dublo range if you are prepared to use a little elbow grease to remove casting marks etc, mine of course will be finished as one of Tweedmouths finest but outstationed at Duns and when im ready to body swap the other body will be turned out as an ex St Boswells example
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

At up!

Ah, the joys of owning an elderly Citroen!

Age has caused a touch on incontinence, the car not me stop sniggering at the back there, so m,y spare time has been spent either refilling the radiator or trying to find an angle where I can see down the back of the engine. Despite doing myself several mischiefs and numerous naughty words, I can't find the leak so will have to dig out the ramps and spend some time staring up the back of the engine with a torch. Not the rear side of a Citroen HDi engine is a pretty sight at the best of times but needs must.

I need to do summat, running out of swear words here!