Edgware GN. What next.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN,

Post by 52D »

Dave wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:19 am Blimey Manna what a collection of locos you are building up, very nice.

Is it not time you tried some proper engines from Darlington :) .
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thank you Dave, I have far to many for the layout, but.......

As for NE loco's, there's not that many NE types that reached the 'Cross' Ravens A2 ! a very rare B16, what else :!: :!: I've done the G5, I know that J26's reached Peterborough and some were based in Norwich, now I'm stumped, I know a Q6 is a maybe under rule 1.

I've got a D49 and they were as rare as hens teeth, Over to you............

manna :?
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Atlantics got there on footexes and the like - there are some in Top Shed.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Jonathan is right, NE Atlantics certainly turned up at KX.

In the Frank Giles note books for the southern end of the ECML he notes only A2s and C7s in the 1933-5 era.

Q6s are therefore definitely 'Rule One'.

O4s occasionally turned up amongst the usual diet of New England O1 and O2 2-8-0s.

John
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by 4812 »

Some (actually many) years ago a Peterborough driver told me of firing an ex-NE Hull 4-4-0 on a Wembley Exhibition excursion. He remembered it because the pick-up gear, presumably little-used at Hull, was immovable and they had to stop for water, but they did run through.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thanks for the replies, well it looks like an Atlantic.............but looking through the NE Atlantic's, I came across the C9, now that looks interesting, I doubt if that ever got south of Peterborough, but what the heck, it might take a while, drawings etc (yes I do use them) and to acquire all the bits, I might have to call out for a bit of help, we shall see.

manna

PS I have the relevant Green Bible.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Looking good manna. I'm also interested in which NE locomotives made it down to the southern end of the LNER. I've got a Raven A2 in the design phase to fit on a modified Farish A1 chassis and would very much like a B16. The C7 sounds like another great locomotive to have but I think I'll sort out the chassis for a 'standard' C1 first!

Looking at your latest project, it looks like a C2 to me. One thing though, could you find a chassis with a closer coupled wheelbase? Personally, I think the 6'10 coupled wheelbase was very distinctive. My version of 3279 (hint hint Mr King!) uses a converted Jubilee chassis which at 7'3 is still almost a 1mm too long (six inches) but is hidden by some distortion of the locomotive body. The BR 5MT 4-6-0 sees to have used a 7' front coupled wheelbase (as I think did the Southern Arthurs and Nelsons) which would be very close in 4mm scale - I assume you're not going to consider hacking one of the lovely Bachmann C1s!
Steve
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

It just so happens I have a Hornby King Arthur chassis, so I had another look at it, it fit's the criteria, but the motor's had to be removed, as it's rear wheel drive and the motor's to fat, so a tender drive is still required, but I will now be using the KA chassis.

manna
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

After a bit of work, an Atlantic has been made out of a King Arthur. Still rather rough, but something to build on.

I am building 3271, the only inside cylindered C2, I still might finish the older version.

manna
Attachments
DSCF2631.JPG
DSCF2632.JPG
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

manna wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:17 am G'Day Gents

After a bit of work, an Atlantic has been made out of a King Arthur. Still rather rough, but something to build on.

I am building 3271, the only inside cylindered C2, I still might finish the older version.

manna
The KA chassis looks like a much better option IMHO, if I may (without pushing my luck too much further) suggest that you might consider shortening the distance between the bogie and the leading driving wheel? They really were bunched up together on the prototype; although not necessarily conducive for getting around model railway curves!
Steve
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents.

Hi ATSO, 3271, had a different length in her wheelbase, the distance between the front bogie and leading driver was a foot more than the others, the engine was, 13 inches longer and the boiler was 15 inches longer, so quite a different loco to the others.

When 'Woodcock 29' tried to run his C2 on my layout, there was one tight curve it wouldn't go round, that curve has now been eased, but I picked 3271 for that very reason, longer wheelbase.

manna
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hi Manna,

Interesting about the different wheelbase, I'll be studying harder in future! :D
Steve
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

The body for the (next) C2 is taking shape, a bit more needs to be taken off the chassis, to allow for the boiler to be fully round, just behind the smokebox.

manna
Attachments
DSCF2633.JPG
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Already the unmistakeable inside-cylinder C2....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

The C2 is moving along at a fair pace, cab's almost finished, smokebox and smokebox door are now in place, and dome fitted, next is the splashers.

Thank you Atlantic 3279, doesn't take much to make a recognizable loco.

Now a plea for help, I'm looking for a couple of Lima J50 body's, I only need the chimney's and domes, so if the buffers or cabs damaged, no matter. Thanks

manna
Attachments
DSCF2634.JPG
DSCF2635.JPG