The Night Scotsman.

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

LNER FL
NER Y7 0-4-0T

The Night Scotsman.

Post by LNER FL »

Hello.
I am new here but of late have found the site very useful- so i joined.
I can not find anything on the night Scotsman "other than poster reproductions" circa 1936-7-8.
I assume there were second and third sleepers also brakes.
I would like to find out what the train size and composition would have been.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: The Night Scotsman.

Post by Graeme Leary »

Unusually for me (as I'm usually the one asking the questions) the following might be of some help:

From 'Named Trains on LNER Lines Part 1' (W B Yeadon):-

'By 1932 the NIGHT SCOTSMAN would only convey passengers for stations beyond Edinburgh passengers for that city having their own 'first class' and 'third class' sleepers on the 10.35pm from Kings Cross. Both trains, in each direction, were heavy and usually of around FOURTEEN VEHICLES, OF WHICH ABOUT HALF WERE SLEEPING CARS and it was for such loads that the Gresley Pacifics were multiplied by new building in the period from 1923 to 1925' (CAPITALS MINE).

Also, and I don't have a copy to hand, but the index for Steve Banks and Clive Carter's 'LNER Passenger Trains and Formations 1923-67' under Chapter Five 'Sleeping Car Trains' lists ''The Scotch Services' on p160 and might well give you more detail on the Night Scotsman (and yes, the heading is 'Scotch' Services).
(I have referred to this tome for details on The Flying Scotsman (Express) and The West Riding Pullman and the info is very detailed).

Hope of some use.
Graeme
New Zealand
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

This might be useful - from the July 1939 Until Further Notice Carriage Workings.

Note that the train formations varied considerably, not only between Summer and Winter but also to cope with the vastly increased traffic in late July/August for the grouse-shooting season, opening on the 'Glorious Twelfth' of August.

Night Scotsman - July 1939.pdf
(825.07 KiB) Downloaded 426 times
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

LNER FL has also started a topic called:

The Night Scotsman Welwyn GC.

To which I replied.

John