LNERCA Set put out of action on the NYMR

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

GNSR D40 4-4-0

LNERCA Set put out of action on the NYMR

Post by 2392 »

Unfortunately overnight 22/7-23/7/17 the LNERCA's operational teak set based on the North Yorkshire Moors, has been put out of service by a serious case of vandalisam, during the sixties weekend. In turn this has lead to services cancelations [the 11:00 Pickering-Grosmont and the return at 16:00+/- Grosmont-Pickeering]. Pretty well all carriages have been damaged to varing degrees. The following is the link to the NYMR website with their press release....

https://www.nymr.co.uk/news/heartbreak- ... iages-news
Last edited by 2392 on Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Re: LNERCA Set put out of action on the NYMR

Post by Autocar Publicity »

I am very sorry to hear that. Regretably, I have seen some of the worst of modern humanity and the abhorent behaviour of the lowest levels of it, which all recent governments seem remarkably reticent to tackle. Looking at the online pictures and given the timing, it suggests a deliberate, co-ordinated attempt at causing serious financial loss to the NYMR as well as the obvious direct loss to the LNERCA. Given the recent security measures implented on site, I hope the perpetrators of this are quickly identified and charged, both in the criminal and civil courts. Time to set a precedent and demonstrate to even the most mentally retarded this sort of behaviour will not be tolerated.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Anybody who dares to say that offenders such as the culprits in this case should not be birched, brutally humiliated over an extended period and forced to a long stretch of hard labour should themselves be subject to just such treatment! I cannot be the only one sick of seeing this sort of thing not only happening in the first place but seeing basically NOTHING happen to the culprits on grounds of so called "human rights" and "enlightened approaches to reform rather than punishment". Should they ever be apprehended by the police, if the police can find five minutes to spare away from form-filling and persecuting frustrated motorists, no doubt the scum who did this will have some lying lawyer (provided at the expense of the taxpayer) pleading their case based on allegedly broken homes, childhood abuse, loss of responsibility through drink and drugs and whole host of other disgusting excuses that should be completely ignored. It is far beyond the time when the properly behaved, property owning, proud people of Britain should have demanded a return to proper system of criminal law that provides vicious retribution against offenders! Only when the public have been satisfied that REVENGE plus a deterrent has been inflicted on offenders should there be any possibility of offering those offenders "therapy" or reform programs...

The LNERCA has my fullest sympathy.

I'm sorry if the above views do not accord with forum rules or policy, but sometimes somebody has to speak up!
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:45 pm Anybody who dares to say that offenders such as the culprits in this case should not be birched, brutally humiliated over an extended period and forced to a long stretch of hard labour should themselves be subject to just such treatment! I cannot be the only one sick of seeing this sort of thing not only happening in the first place but seeing basically NOTHING happen to the culprits on grounds of so called "human rights" and "enlightened approaches to reform rather than punishment". Should they ever be apprehended by the police, if the police can find five minutes to spare away from form-filling and persecuting frustrated motorists, no doubt the scum who did this will have some lying lawyer (provided at the expense of the taxpayer) pleading their case based on allegedly broken homes, childhood abuse, loss of responsibility through drink and drugs and whole host of other disgusting excuses that should be completely ignored. It is far beyond the time when the properly behaved, property owning, proud people of Britain should have demanded a return to proper system of criminal law that provides vicious retribution against offenders! Only when the public have been satisfied that REVENGE plus a deterrent has been inflicted on offenders should there be any possibility of offering those offenders "therapy" or reform programs...

The LNERCA has my fullest sympathy.

I'm sorry if the above views do not accord with forum rules or policy, but sometimes somebody has to speak up!
Well said Graeme and I agree entirely.

Sadly I doubt very much that any of your ideas will be implemented. I saw over a very long period the decline in the Police Service from a personal level. In recent years that decline is now in freefall, the austerity measure are a convenient excuse for a eyepatch that Nelson would have been very proud off. Basically the deterrent is simply not there prisons are full, fines are never paid etc etc. All realistically can be done is enhance security to the highest level that people can afford.
Relating to this case the scum donkeys have even been bragging about on social media so I see no reason why they will not be nicked. What happens after that who knows. I suggest don't hold your breath!!.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Autocar Publicity »

I suspect that if the perpetrators are publically identified, the police and courts could be the least of their fears. (I can't condone that but I would have no sympathy). Harsh lessons make for long memories.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Sad - I saw them lined up at the same location only a couple of weeks ago!
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

I am fortunate enough to have ridden in two of these vehicles this year.

Just in case you don't find it from the link posted above, the link for donations is ..... here....

I do not understand how anyone can deliberately damage beautiful things that people have worked so hard to create and restore.
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

I am gutted and feel sick at seeing the photos. Thanks for getting the news out so quickly.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

It has been reported on both of the BBCs' Look North local news progammes from Leeds and Tyneside.
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by sawdust »

2392 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:46 pm It has been reported on both of the BBCs' Look North local news progammes from Leeds and Tyneside.
Also a shortened report on the East Yorkshire & North Lincolnshire edition.

Sawdust.
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by sawdust »

I have to say that I have been greatly moved by the outpouring of sympathy and support from both the heritage movement and the general public at large.

As someone who has worked on all the damaged vehicles over the last thirty years, I would like to express my personal thanks.

Sawdust.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

After seeing the damage im livid, i heartily endorse Atlantics sentiments.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Two nicked .

North Yorkshire Police
Home What we do Do it online Staying safe Your neighbourhood News AboutJobs and volunteeringAccess to informationContactSearch the site SEARCH
Home > News > News stories > Two arrested in connection with North York Moors Railway investigation

Two arrested in connection with North York Moors Railway investigation
Posted on 24 July 2017 at 11:21am in News stories

Police investigating vandalism caused to North York Moors Railway carriages at Pickering have arrested two boys and expect to make further arrests as the investigation continues.

The two boys aged 17, have been released while under investigation.

Enquiries are continuing and police are urging anyone who has any images from the incident to forward it to North Yorkshire Police at general.enquiries@northyorkshire.police.uk

Anyone with any other information that could assist the investigation is asked to contact North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option 2 and pass information to the Force Control Room.

If you wish to remain anonymous, you can pass information to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Please quote reference 12170129575 when passing on information.

To recap, overnight, between 10pm on Saturday 22 July 2017 and 7am on Sunday 23 July 2017, seven train carriages at Pickering Train Station were smashed, both inside and out. Windows were smashed the inside of the carriages were severely damaged.

Last modified: July 24, 2017

Key information
C
ROY@34F
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by ROY@34F »

Well said Graeme (in 3rd. post ). I totally agree with everything you said. Sadly respect and discipline have taken a back seat these days with some parents and teaching methods, I feel. Nothing to fear in the courts either and the hands of the police are severely restricted.

Roy.
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

My immediate feelings on hearing that (presumably) two 17 year old lads were responsible is can they be made to repay the damage by somehow being made to assist the LNERCA guys in the re-restoration of said carriages? I know most of us initially felt "horsewhipping" is the answer but I wondered how we could harness such youthful stupidity into a positive move for both their futures and the railway's. I'm so sad that the energy of 17 year olds these days is frittered away in such a negative manner. When I was 17 I'd just finished chasing the end of steam on BR and feel that being engaged in such a fraternity has helped me in the intervening nearly 50 years. Tell me if I'm wrong but this is "A Crying Shame" in many ways.