Stockton and Darlington House Plaques

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Cuddie Headrigg
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: Stockton and Darlington House Plaques

Post by Cuddie Headrigg »

Funnily enough, last week I attended my last Aunts' funeral at Dipton. I never knew, but she moved to Waskerly as a child when her father came off the land to work on the railway and she was schooled there to a high level and only left after she completed her WW2 service. I wish I'd known years ago.
Moise02
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Moise02 »

JonR wrote:I'm doing a bit of research into the Stockton and Darlington house plaques that have survived. My question is, does anyone know if any more have survived that I've not been able to account for in the list below? One I'm particularly interested in is J2 which was recorded as being in Witton Park Environmental Studies Centre, but is now missing since the closure of the centre, I've contacted DCC and they have no records of where the collections went when it closed. Thanks for any help So far I know about the following:
In situ:
B3 Nunthorpe Station
D13: Yarm Branch Depot
F3: Carlbury Crossing
F5: Gainford
F7: Winston
F10: Barnard Castle crossing
F11: Barnard Castle, Galgate
G1 Whilley Hill
G9: Hackworth House, Shildon
G12: Rose Cottages, [url=http://%20www.shuttle-paris-airports.com/]paris taxi Airport[/url] Shildon
H1: Brusselton Engine House
H7: Butterknowle goods depot
J4: Wear Valley Junction cottages
J5: Witton-le-wear crossing keepers cottage
J7: Witton-le-Wear old station house
J11: Frosterley Station
K4 Weatherhill Engine house
K9: Waskerley

In Museums- E9: North Road Station & G2: Heighington Station, (Darlington Railway Museum), J10: Wolsingham (NRM)

Private Collections- E15: Darlington Goods Station, J8: Harperley, H5: Etherley Engine House, & I1: South Church Station
hello, have you got any pictures?
Tilemap
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Tilemap »

If you view this video at 0'50" , plaque I4 appears to be on Piercebridge Station House

http://liberalengland.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... le-in.html
JonR
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by JonR »

Thanks Tilemap, it's actually F4 all of the ones between Darlington and Barnard Castle began with F. It's pretty grubby in this video and it disappeared soon after this video was taken.
JR
Dixie
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Dixie »

Whilst sorting through some papers the other day, I came across some further details of S & D house plaques. A paper was prepared in the early 1970s by a local study group giving the background and details of the locations where known. The plaques were glazed ceramic tiles with a black shield and a border and central letter and number usually white, although the paper says that a few were known in other colours. The paper raised as many questions as it answered but it contains quite a lot of detail and also offers some suggestions as to why they were put there in the first place. The is an appendix giving (then) known locations . I would be happy to share details if members so wish. It would certainly be interesting to know just how many are still in place.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Dixie please post i like threads like this, as you may know after two of mine serpent benches and tiled maps.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
JonR

Post by JonR »

Hi Dixie,
Is that the paper by John Proud?
JR
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Dixie wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:39 pm Whilst sorting through some papers the other day, I came across some further details of S & D house plaques. A paper was prepared in the early 1970s by a local study group giving the background and details of the locations where known. The plaques were glazed ceramic tiles with a black shield and a border and central letter and number usually white, although the paper says that a few were known in other colours. The paper raised as many questions as it answered but it contains quite a lot of detail and also offers some suggestions as to why they were put there in the first place. The is an appendix giving (then) known locations . I would be happy to share details if members so wish. It would certainly be interesting to know just how many are still in place.
I used to have that paper but sold it a couple of years ago. Re the Waskerley K8 office I managed to persuade my dad to take me up there in about 1974 and it was a fascinating place. There was a cute little weighbridge in a wooden shed and I seem to remember it had an LNER cast iron weighbridge notice which would be worth a fortune now.
JonR

Post by JonR »

PinzaC55 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:10 pm
Dixie wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:39 pm Whilst sorting through some papers the other day, I came across some further details of S & D house plaques. A paper was prepared in the early 1970s by a local study group giving the background and details of the locations where known. The plaques were glazed ceramic tiles with a black shield and a border and central letter and number usually white, although the paper says that a few were known in other colours. The paper raised as many questions as it answered but it contains quite a lot of detail and also offers some suggestions as to why they were put there in the first place. The is an appendix giving (then) known locations . I would be happy to share details if members so wish. It would certainly be interesting to know just how many are still in place.
I used to have that paper but sold it a couple of years ago. Re the Waskerley K8 office I managed to persuade my dad to take me up there in about 1974 and it was a fascinating place. There was a cute little weighbridge in a wooden shed and I seem to remember it had an LNER cast iron weighbridge notice which would be worth a fortune now.
I wonder whatever happened to them?
JR
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

K8 offices and weighbridge were flattened and the notice will most likely be in somebodies collection now.
I.STUBBS
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by I.STUBBS »

Here is my pic of the Nunthorpe one https://www.flickr.com/photos/bolckow/8 ... 2Aa-82Xi6d
Armstrong
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Armstrong »

From a list I have is some additional detail of the location of the plaques hope this helps.
P= that the plaque is on the building

Ref No Description map ref bldg extant & comments

B3 Nunthorpe Station 538 151 yes P station still in use
D13 Yarm S & D station 418 135 yes P occupied
E9 North Road Station 289 157 yes P replica now in museum
E17 114, Whessoe Road 287 159 no plaque in Nth Rd Mus
F3 Carlbury Crossing 219 162 rebuilt P rebuilt modern house
F5 Gainford Station 170 171 yes P private house
F6 Winston Crossing 141 178 yes no plaque Mat 1967
F7 Winston Station 140 178 yes P private house
F8 Broomielaw Station 083 182 yes greatly extended
F10 83,Harmire Road, Bd Castle 054 174 yes P occupied