Ebchester Station, Co Durham

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mike060
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Ebchester Station, Co Durham

Post by mike060 »

Hi, just discovered this excellent forum and wondered if anyone could possibly help? I'm keen to find out more about Ebchester station and goods yard on the former NER Derwent Valley Blaydon-Blackhill branch in Co. Durham. I have seen maps of the track layout and there are photos of Thomas Prosser's derelict station building on the Disused Stations website but I have only found a couple of photographs of the station when it was operating (i.e. before 1953). G. Whittle's 'Railways of Consett and NW Durham' has historical details of the line but no photos of Ebchester itself.

I was hoping someone might know of some and be able to point me in the right direction. I'm especially interested in the goods yard, coal drops etc. I tried Durham CRO a while back - they had some interesting diagrams but no photos, as I recall.

I have lived in Ebchester for 23 years and I can't even find any long-established residents who have old photos of the railway!

Thanks, Mike.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Ebchester Station, Co Durham

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

If you try 'Disused Stations' by Nick Catford on the web, there is a section about Ebchester and the branch that it was part of.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

I have my photo of the station remains in May 1978 here http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=2840387 ... ter&m=text
and a signalling diagram for 1908 here http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinzac55/4 ... otostream/

I'd suggest your best bet for old photo's is Beamish Museum. If you want track plans try the local library or Durham County Record Office - they have large 25 inch to the mile plans covering all of County Durham. Worthwhile checking out the Tanfield Railway too.They sell local photo views.

BTW according to Ken Hoole's book "Railway Stations Of The North East" in 1922 Ebchester station served a population of 2857 people and sold 32996 tickets. 2200 tons of bricks were sent out and 28 wagons of livestock.
StoneRoad
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by StoneRoad »

I'll second the suggestion of asking Beamish Museum, but you might also try "Search Engine" at the NRM.

Another idea might be to try a suitable local paper - several run 'remember when' style features from their archives.......

I did have some friends living near Ebchester, but not during the period you want....and they moved away a few years ago!
Saluton. mi estas fervojistino, kaj vi?

visit http://www.ipernity.com/doc/312383/album

to see what has been done! Perhaps we can do something for you?
mike060
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by mike060 »

Thanks very much for these ideas and the information - I'll look into these, especially Beamish and Tanfield Railway. I'd already tried NRM without luck a while ago but maybe worth another look. And thanks, PinzaC55, I had discovered your signalling diagram and found it very interesting and helpful.

Thanks again.

Mike
userpt969
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by userpt969 »

i was born at 3 station cottages in 1946 i grew up with
in the station yard my uncle Eric Collingwood worked in the signal box i used to play in the goods yard and in the shed my grandmother used to get coal of the train drivers and the cream of the top of the churns that were waiting to be picked up by the goods train the butcher and bakers vans used to deliver to the cottages the Hutsberths still live at 3 station cottages next door send me your address i can send you a photo i got from Durham archive office
ALAN
Last edited by userpt969 on Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
archivist
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by archivist »

The Station Hotel at Ebchester burned to the ground in 1948, witnessed by E Collingwood who lived at no 3 Station Cottages at the time. Does anyone know what caused the fire and whether the person who died was staff or a guest. Many thanks.
archivist
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by archivist »

I have tried to post a message to userpt969 who is the nephew of the witness to the fire at Ebchester Station Hotel, which is the subject of my earlier post. I have had a message to say that I am not eligible to use this facility. Is there any other way that I can contact him within the rules of the forum?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes PMs are limited until you've posted a few regular messages that have gone through moderation - this is to stop spammers. Otherwise someone could sign up and send lots of spam PMs to everyone. From memory, I think the limit is 4 or 5, and the post moderation limit is lifted at the same point.

Considering userpt969 only wrote one message on the boards (ever), there's a good chance you won't get a reply!
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
archivist
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by archivist »

Unfortunately, you are right but his uncle is the only person as yet identified as a witness to this fire. If he was alive today he would be well into his nineties. I am just hoping that he (the nephew) will perhaps know the story behind it. In such a tiny village it is inconceivable that to have one of its biggest buildings destroyed and someone killed without there being some local lore about it and without anything having appeared in any of the six or seven local newspapers. Unfortunately, Ebchester village has become a dormitory village and house prices have forced the old families out. So I am clutching at straws.
Cherylcoll72
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Cherylcoll72 »

Hi just looking through this site about information about ebchester station and seen the name Collingwood was wondering if any relation my great grandfather lived in station house ebchester he was called Collingwood my grandfather was John wilbert Collingwood (wilf)
Cherylcoll72
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Cherylcoll72 »

userpt969 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:11 pm i was born at 2 station cottages in 1946 i grew up with
in the station yard my uncle eric collingwood worked in the signal box i used to play in the goods yard and in the shed my grandmother used to get coal of the train drivers and the cream of the top of the churns that were waiting to be picked up by the goods train the butcher and bakers vans used to deliver to the cottages the hutsburths still live at 3 station cottages next door send me your address i can send you a photo i aquired from Durham archive office
ALAN
Are you any relation to John wilbert Collingwood as he lived in the station house his father I'm sure was station master or worked on the railway
pdg
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by pdg »

I came to Ebchester most weekends and school holidays at the end of the war. My uncle Norman Temple had the Station Hotel, Mr Brown was the Stationmaster and had my tea many times with Freddy & John Hudspeth.
JAA
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by JAA »

I was brought up in #1 Station Cottages in the early 1960's. My Grandfather was John Anderson and he was responsible for the maintenance of a section of the tracks. He kept bees on the bankside over the tracks from the station. He posted pictures of the big freeze 1962/3 ( I was only 4/5 then) at the Beamish Museum and they used to have them on display at their station, but it appears they are all removed now. The old derelict station waiting room etc was my playground and John (?) Hudspeth senior took me gardening and fishing in the ponds etc. I can remember the Hudspeths very well. Many a time the train drivers would stop and give me a ride in the cab. I will forward this forum to my mum and uncle who lived there for many years, I am sure they can add more information.
JAA
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by JAA »

We lived in the Station House ( not #1 cottages)