The LNER at the Movies (and in books)

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

MidlandExcursion
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Re: The LNER at the Movies (and in books)

Post by MidlandExcursion »

52A wrote:A few more for the collection, would you like more detail?

Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines. 1965
Bedford to Hitchin with HR103. sarah Miles, Eric Sykes, Terry Thomas. Dir. Ken Annakin.
Point of order, M'Lud!

I know it might seem all the same to you up there in Gatesheed, but Beford to Hitchin was Midland, and never LNER !
(Even if it did join the GN and Hitchin - but then the GN used to hold up Midland trains, so they upped sticks and built St Pancras :) )

In one of those shots of 103, as it approaches the tunnel, you can espy Goldington Power Station (in E Bedford) on the skyline.

And, perhaps the film was released in 1965, but the filming with HR 103 was in April, 1964. (plus, possibly a day or two in May)

You've written up a nice list though.

Anybody mentioned the opening 2 minutes of "Get Carter" yet? I know, it was from 1972-3, but has some great shots of the ECML, and retro Deltics and Mk 2 stock.
9001 St Paddy
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 9001 St Paddy »

MidlandExcursion wrote:
52A wrote:Anybody mentioned the opening 2 minutes of "Get Carter" yet? I know, it was from 1972-3, but has some great shots of the ECML, and retro Deltics and Mk 2 stock.
Yeah a number of times, i think the opening sequence dates from either 1970 or 71?. I like the camera shot as we fast approach Decoy No.1 box (Doncaster) at dusk with Balby Junction's Down fast line 'motorised semaphore distant signal' underneath Decoy No.1s home signal slowly going to the off position on the gantry as we fast approach it all classic stuff.

As for the rest of the film it's ok. :wink:

FINSBURY PARK [5] formerly Micky a onetime 'tele lad' at Welwyn Garden City box.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

This thread was/is intended as an update for the page mentioned in the first post.
So before posting new movies, please look at the page referenced in the first post. And probably read the rest of the thread too - some absences might be absent for a reason.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Boris
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Boris »

Does anyone remember a film with Arthur Askey as a drive and his fireman called Alf Hall
EX DARNALL 39B FIREMAN 1947-55
Seagull
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Post by Seagull »

Boris wrote:Does anyone remember a film with Arthur Askey as a drive and his fireman called Alf Hall
Hello Boris, the film you are looking for is called The Love Match

Alan
Playing trains, but trying to get serious
9001 St Paddy
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 9001 St Paddy »

The film The Love Match is a pretty lame 1950s b&w british comedy film that also stars Thora Hird, most of the railway scenes that appear in this film were 'speeded up' to create a comic effect the only mildly interesting scene is that of a ex LMS 4F 0-6-0 standing on the shed turntable and features Arthur Askey and his fireman standing next to the loco chatting.

A number of the films 'outakes' appear in the John Huntley video archive Steam on 35mm the 1930s, 40s, 50s & 60s which are shown at 'normal speed' and are quite interesting.

FINSBURY PARK [5] formerly Micky
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

I know it's not LNER but here's another Arthur Askey special 'The Ghost Train'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj0u0jkYWHw
John Palmer
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by John Palmer »

The credit sequence from 'The Ghost Train' appears to have been shot on the LSWR main line between Woking and Basingstoke, judging by the distinctive 'pneumatics' carried upon gantries above the quadruple tracks.

<edit>Shortly followed by a GWR train composed of super saloons then a shot of Manorbier Castle as 'streamlined' entering Teignmouth!</edit>
MidlandExcursion
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by MidlandExcursion »

John Palmer wrote:The credit sequence from 'The Ghost Train' appears to have been shot on the LSWR main line between Woking and Basingstoke, judging by the distinctive 'pneumatics' carried upon gantries above the quadruple tracks.

<edit>Shortly followed by a GWR train composed of super saloons then a shot of Manorbier Castle as 'streamlined' entering Teignmouth!</edit>
O/T - Indeed, the GWR (somewhat annoyingly, to me) often seems to be the 'default' option for film makers needing a steam shot. One example: in the 1982 Gandhi, the Mahatma goes to the mill towns of Lancashire not behind a Duchess/Scot etc but - seemingly - behind a Castle. (Yes, I suppose one could argue he went to Birkenhead, but I think that's stretching a point.)
I'm sure i've noted other examples, but can't think of them right now. br
Phipps
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re:

Post by Phipps »

x568wcn wrote:Are we just talking movies, or can we do tv aswell?

Dads Army, Series 6, episode 3, transmitted 14/11/1973
The Royal Train

Right at the end there is a shot of 60009 carrying the king.
Mark T
Back in autumn 1987, myself & 3 pals used the handcart that Hodges & Co give chase on, but we took it to Holt & back. One of us had missed a bus home & that was his only means of getting back.
First saw the episode directly after the Queen Mother's televised funeral & nearly choked with laughter, cos I couldn't believe what I was seeing
Deepol
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Deepol »

60027Merlin wrote:
Maxonian wrote:I have just seen again the Kenneth More 39 Steps. The A1 looks like 60162 - the last "real" one! Am I wrong? :?:
No! it is Haymarket's 60162 and not 60147 as noted in some articles.
Attachments
60162SaintJohnstoun-ForthBridge-39Steps.jpg
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Re:

Post by 52D »

Phipps wrote:
x568wcn wrote:Are we just talking movies, or can we do tv aswell?

Dads Army, Series 6, episode 3, transmitted 14/11/1973
The Royal Train

Right at the end there is a shot of 60009 carrying the king.
Mark T
Back in autumn 1987, myself & 3 pals used the handcart that Hodges & Co give chase on, but we took it to Holt & back. One of us had missed a bus home & that was his only means of getting back.
First saw the episode directly after the Queen Mother's televised funeral & nearly choked with laughter, cos I couldn't believe what I was seeing
Already commented on the A4 is approaching Burnmouth just over the Scottish Border.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
AlanPalgut
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by AlanPalgut »

Though out of date and presented as a Great Western locomotive, there is a J94 in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Dick Van Dyke, Sally Anne Howes, dir. Ken Hughes, 1968):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeqUdedkZgA
Last edited by AlanPalgut on Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Is that one of the Longmoor J94s?

Daft looking chimney though!
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
AlanPalgut
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by AlanPalgut »

Pretty sure it's on the Longmoor (hence the blue livery) :P