Rob's 7mm Scale Coach Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Rob's 7mm Scale Coach Workbench

Post by Robpulham »

Thanks 65447,

That's pretty much what I had read elsewhere, I just didn't do a very good job of recalling and conveying it :(
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

The 52' BG is now complete and just needs the roof fastening down.

I will have it with me on the Saturday at Telford should anyone like to see it in the flesh.

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

That looks excellent Rob! I'd love to see it but sadly can't attend Telford as I've got a busy month of weekends and need to save some money to attend the Dapol one day at the end of the month.

I've been watching some YouTube videos of 7mm live steam and have to say that it looks very tempting! Have you had any thoughts about going down that route?
Steve
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Thanks Steve,

I haven't so far but having said that I still have 3 Hornby Live steamers so it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility.

The all 3rd has been progressing too, we now have passengers and a start on the paint work - the plan is to print our some partition tops with carriage prints and possible the mirrors in place - I may end up with plan B for the mirrors which would be to use the Cameo to cut them from foil.

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Picking up after Guildex and despite going out to play at Locomotion on both Saturday PM and sunday AM I managed to get a fair bit further on the All 3rd
IMG_5884.JPG
Brake tell tale and associated bits and pieces
IMG_5892.JPG
Roof vents marked out and added, I also added the V Hangers underneath but found that I had left the dynamo and the vac cylinder castings behind so I couldn't go any further with them.
IMG_5897.JPG
I even made a jig and a start on the grab handles before running out of rod - more in Wakefield but it's not much good there
IMG_5903.JPG
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

A weekend in, spent modelling has seen the All 3rd well on it's way to completion. I even managed to do a bit more on my own non corridor parcels van. Progress on the latter included ripping off the dynamo to make up more prototypical hanging frame similar to Don's BG and All 3rd

All that's left to do (unless I find something else is fit the turnbuckles and trussing and the vacuum and steam heat pipes before it hit's the paint shop in anger
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Having got Don's All 3rd well on it's way and despite spending quite a bit of Saturday stripping off the roof canvas and filling in the holes for the wrongly placed roof vents with stubbs of styrene rod. I also managed to do a bit more at my stalled Kirk parcels van. my last job the previous weekend was to break off the dynamo which in my earlier builds I had stuck onto a fabricated I beam. Now that I have done a more realistic job for Don's coaches it seemed only fair to do the same for me so I knocked up the mounting brackets and stuck them on.

This is Don's roof awaiting the roof vents mounting in the right place, just perched on my parcels van for the moment. I managed to rescue the destination board brackets and reinstate them on the new re-canvassed roof.

It's also now sporting hinges and door handles etc.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Somewhat embarrassingly, I have had a JLRT Gresley Diagram 113 full brake sat on the edge of my workbench for the last couple of years. it had stalled at the final fitting of the roof stage.

On Sunday morning Chris asked me if I was ever going to finish it (it was a Christmas gift from her:scratchchin:) So late morning I got stuck into fitting the roof and by the end of the day I had not only fitted the roof I had added most of the underframe fittings too - I had prepared the buffer beams a couple of years ago.

So here it is sat on a pair of borrowed bogie - I put the original Gresley bogies supplied under my first Kirk Parcels van build - I have a pair of Newbould Models 8.0' Fox to go under this but they need making up.

I hope to make more rapid progress on this going forward....
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

I don't feel qualified to make comments on your thread, except to express admiration and amazement at your workmanship.

Cheers
Paul
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Thanks Paul,

It's very kind of you to say so.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

One of the jobs that I did over the last week was to knock up some partition details for the All 3rd.

The carriage prints are Chris's paintings shrunk to fit and the mirrors are also one of Chris's ideas.

I had tried to print them using a grey but they didn't come out that well. The next thought was to use baking foil cut on the Silhouette but my concern was that they would damage easily while removing them from the cutting mat. Chris suggested that I try the foil lined plastic sachets that family sized pack of nuts come in.

She duly cut one up and gave it a wash (this is from a bag of Cashew Nuts, other nuts are available of course).

I quick visit to Inkscape drew me some circles and ovals (I need ovals for my D114 when I get to it).

It almost took more time sticking the two small sheets of plastic to the cutting mat than it did to cut them out - a single cut with the blade set at 1 was enough.

Not the best photo in the word but you get the idea

A better idea when they were removed from the mat

They look the part when attached to the partition - the printed efforts gave a location point if nothing else

A couple more for the carriage ends.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

At the beginning of each session on the B16 recently I have sprayed the All 3rd in either Carmine, matt varnish or lastly masked up and sprayed the black.

The paints were both from the Vallejo Model colour range - Carmine and Black. The varnish used was Ronseal water based let down with Vallejo thinners.

I also made a start on adding the teak varnish to my Kirk Parcels van.

Again the finish is Vallejo Model Colour Orange covered by (so far) 7 coats of Ronseal waterbased Teak varnish applied by brush so not let down.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Although I have been concentrating on the B16 I have done a little on the All 3rd by picking out the handles in brass.

I popped all the bits together to see how it looked - it's still just plonked on the bogies with the roof just resting in place.

I hope that I might get the transfers on this weekend.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

That looks stunning Rob! I hope that I can make mine look anywhere near that good when I finally get around to making some!
Steve
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Thanks Steve,

I am sure that you will - I am lucky no lining on the non corridor stock....