Edgware GN. What next.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN,

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Loco's moving at a pace, splashers (2) made and fitted, glue drying as I type on the other two, chimney fitted and a back head, that once belonged to 'Thomas', another job for today, is the safety valves.

manna
Attachments
DSCF2636.JPG
DSCF2637.JPG
DSCF2638.JPG
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

A small update, thing's are generally progressing forward, front bogie in place, body screwed to chassis, lots of rubbing down etc.

manna
Attachments
DSCF2643.JPG
DSCF2644.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Almost there with the C2, a few bits to do, but it's now had a couple of coats of paint, it's really coming to life.

manna
Attachments
DSCF2650.JPG
DSCF2653.JPG
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN, Builds a Klondike

Post by 52D »

Very good manna
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thank you 52D
Well the Klondike is virtually finished, so to keep the mind occupied, onward to the next loco,
this time it's a J6, a favorite with many, and one I have wanted for a long time, but there's
no RTR chassis, or is there ! I recently bought a Hornby tender drive 4F off of E-bay and had
it shipped to Oz, stripping it down I noticed that I could move the driving wheels as being
tender drive there were no gears or motor in the way, so a groove was cut into the chassis to
accommodate the middle driving wheel being moved forward about 4mm, to make sure I took out a set
Hornby coupling rods for a N2 and hooked these up to the 4F's wheels, thereby giving me the
correct wheel spacing's, I had to bring the front wheel back by about .25 mm, I also had to
place a bit of brass behind the center axle, to stop it moving about, I then reassembled the
chassis, and gave it a push with my finger, it rolled, a bit tight, but it had worked, now with
a few minor adjustments, I know it will work, a J6 body is now being made for the chassis.
To speed up production, I'm using the left over boiler from the G1 conversion, I've had to fill
in the area under the firebox.

manna
Attachments
DSCF2657.JPG
DSCF2660.JPG
DSCF2661.JPG
DSCF2663.JPG
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Loving the Klondike Manna!

It sounds as though you've got that J6 chassis pretty much sorted now. If you could find another 4F and some N2 wheels, you could build a J1 or J2 as well! :D
Steve
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thank you Atso, I wouldn't say the J6 is throwing it's self together, but it is progressing rapidly, thanks for all your help, the thought had crossed my mind on the J1 and J2, who know's what will happen.

manna
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN, Builds a J6

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Still progressing with the J6, about to start the painting stage, so I took it outside to give it a coat of undercoat, Bu**er only had white U/C, not grey, Ah well, after an hour went back to give it another blast of 'White' shook the can and ****, I
'd picked up the wrong can.......I now had a 'Silver' J6 (did they ever haul the Silver Jubilee :lol: ) so after another wait it had another coat of white, she's had a rub down and the handrails have been fitted, almost ready for the black paint.

manna
Attachments
DSCF2667.JPG
DSCF2670.JPG
DSCF2671.JPG
DSCF2672.JPG
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Whatever colour it ends up being :lol: the J6 is looking very good in those photos! 8)
Steve
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Well the J6 is finished (almost, couple of handrails on the tender) had it running on the layout, but the loco wheels are locking, so a bit more weight, since the pics were taken, the back ends been lowered, but I haven't fixed the buffers yet.

manna
Attachments
DSCF2673.JPG
DSCF2674.JPG
DSCF2675.JPG
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

The J6 is looking good Terry.

Andrew
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

I agree with Andrew, looks great. You can't beat a J6 as a maid of all work in my opinion! :D
Steve
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thank you gentlemen for the comments.

Have a few minor problems with the J6, wheels touching the body, shaved inside of splashers, more lead added, center wheels need adjusting, she's rocking on the center wheel set, and a traction tyre is missing, causing the tender to rock and derail. At least I've found the problems. But despite all of that it runs well in reverse?, but poorly forward, we'll get there.

C1, next. I have a container of bits to put together.
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

manna wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:01 pm But despite all of that it runs well in reverse?, but poorly forward, we'll get there.
Isn't it quite normal for them to work better backwards. I think you need to make a sacrafice to the gods of gearboxes to get it the right way around. :wink:

cheers
Paul
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

After a wonderful holiday in Queensland, it's back to it, my lad, while I was away, sent over some gear, inc. the motor for the second J3, this has now been fitted and it's been painted, time to fit the transfers (next job) but I had been thing it was about time to ballast the layout, been without it for far to long, so now, mostly the station area has been ballasted, now I'm out of ballast, waiting for some more, I've drifted off into the goods yard, as I have plenty of fine sand, looks like ash.

Had a dabble with another loco, unlike anything I've done before, a Hornby, Fowler chassis cut down, with a Hornby 8F body on top, took all of half an hour, Mr Stanier, would be mortified.

manna
Attachments
DSCF2999.JPG
DSCF2997.JPG
DSCF2996.JPG
DSCF2995.JPG