Hampden Residential Club, Somers Town

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Carol
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Hampden Residential Club, Somers Town

Post by Carol »

Evening All,
I joined the LNER Encycolpedia today; why? I am training as a Camden Tour Guide and doing some research on Somers Town, specifically the Hampden Residential Club, which I believe was used as a British Railways Hostel in the 1950's. I picked up a snippet of information from your site & I'm hoping someone will have further information on the subject and better yet photos, though I appreciate this is less likely!
According to P. N. Townsend's Top Shed, in 1956 there was approx 1100 staff in the depot, many of them hired from the Commonwealth Countries. Also a lot of Shedmen Engine Cleaners at this time were from Poland, men that had remained here after WW2. I'm assuming men working at the depot lived or stayed at the Hampden Residential Club, as it used to be called. Also Engine drivers on a "lodge shift" would stay here before taking their engine back on a return journey the following day. The building was redeveloped by Camden Council in the late 70's, the site sat in the middle of Ossulston Street, Polygon Street (Hampden Street till 1937) Phoenix Street and Purchese Street. There was at least 400+ bedrooms.
I'd loved to have shared my research with my Dad, he worked for the railways all his life, and he loved it. Sadly my Dad is no longer with us. He started as a Signalman, and finished as an Area Supervisor. He worked out of Middlesbrough, so Kings Cross was our entry point into London, we always found it an exciting place to visit. I didn't know then that I would end up living here, researching the local area!
If anyone can help with further information of better yet photos it would be much appreciated.
Thanks. Carol.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Hampden Residential Club, Somers Town

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Carol,

The most excellent Mr Townend is still in life - he's going to feature on the telly this Friday apparently - so there's a direct source who can speak with authority. I would make an approach via the publisher Ian Allan.
Carol
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Carol »

Thank you Hatfield Shed. I'll see if I can drop him a line via his publisher.
onewayst
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by onewayst »

Carol - do you know about the Somers Town History Club? Sounds like you must or should do! We are locals currently making a film about festivities and celebrations in Somers Town and are researching the Hampden Club as part of this. We would love to talk to you or make contact somehow.