Coal drops - 'engines must not pass' signs

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Coal drops - 'engines must not pass' signs

Post by Rlangham »

I read recently of a sign stating 'engines must not pass this sign' or similar words to that effect being placed on coal drops on the ex-NER system, does anyone have images of these and were they commonplace at coal drops or just certain ones?
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Coal drops - 'engines must not pass' signs

Post by PinzaC55 »

I am replying from memory so none of this guaranteed but I think the the only one of these signs I can remember in situ was at East Boldon. They were only provided where the coal drops were unable to take the weight of an engine and I think they were all LNER in origin, consisting of metal letters on a wooden board. I used to own a one from Kildale station in appalling condition and it was painted in BR(NE) orange and white colours.
As far as I remember there was no cast iron NER version though I may be wrong - certainly though I never owned such a sign.