Subways

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Subways

Post by Graeme Leary »

When were subways (ie from platform to platform, not the Underground) first introduced and made their appearance on LNER stations (which I'm assuming they did) and in LNER days did they also go outside to the public footpaths.to save passengers crossing the track/s?
The Snapper
exile
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: Subways

Post by exile »

I don't think there will be a precise date. The crossing from one side of the tracks to the other by means other than walking across the tracks themselves will have been judged on a case by case basis. In some cases footbridges will have been deemed appropriate in others (and especially but not exclusively if the line/station is on an embankment) a subway would be seen as a better option.

As train speeds increased, the dangers of having passengers and staff crossing at track level increased - and especially at stations where high speed trains did not stop. Based on what I have read elsewhere regarding other companies, subways started to be introduced from the 1870s onwards (with some even earlier). Decisions would be based on the numbers of passengers needing to cross the line and the frequency of potentially lethal through services.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Off the top of my head, stations that had passenger tunnels rather than overbridges in my old stomping grounds were: Hitchin, Knebworth, Hatfield(?), Potters Bar, New Barnet. Probably others south of those, too. Sorry, can't help on any vintages though.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Also subway(s) at Finsbury Park, but never seen or heard of one at either New Barnet (my local station for many years) or Hatfield, giner.
But a GNR photo(s?) exists of Hitchin with a footbridge, presumably of a pre-subway time there.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Also Baldock station on the GN section of the Hitchin-Cambridge branch and Stroud Green station on the GN Finsbury Park-Highgate branch.
Last edited by Mickey on Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Cheers, Stevie. You'd think I'd have known about Finsbury Park - all those mis-spent Saturdays down the Arsenal:). I was a bit fuzzy about New Barnet. The old grey cells must be disappearing more quickly than I thought.:)

Mickey: Yes, Baldock, of course.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Thanks Mickey: - Of course! Baldock and Stroud Green both at a considerable height above ground level.
On the GE (which I do not generally know as well), while doing some rail project work relating to Cambridge station, ten years ago, there were very strong rumours that there had once been one there, in early days, to an island platform, when the Newmarket line curved sharply away eastwards from the main station: This being before the replacement deviation line was built (completed 1896), from Coldham Lane Junction to join the original in the Brookfields area.
No confirming evidence of a subway was found (a proper search survey for it wasn't needed for our work anyway) but neither could it be ruled out as it would have been so long ago that subsequent alterations could have left no trace.

Lastly, never seen a photo of Bethnal Green (another high one) with a footbridge, so possibly there's always been a subway there.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Re Cambridge, now found a HUGE amount of info on the www.disused-stations.org.uk website, where it states that there was, at one time, at least one island platform, for increase of capacity reasons rather than just for the Newmarket line.
A footbridge to it is mentioned, but also a low, narrow, luggage subway which was prone to flooding, and suggesting that by 1863 this arrangement was already being superseded.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Warkworth and Tweedmouth for sure in Northumberland although Morpeth might also have one.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

there is of course the subway at Grantham, and it certainly seems to have been there a long time. I would guess certainly since they quadrupled the line, but since it was part of the route to the shed, maybe sooner.

Paul
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thanks all for your comments. I certainly get some thorough (and factual) responses to these naff queries of mine and never ceases to amaze me the depth of knowledge you all have.
Graeme
New Zealand
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

York has a subway as well.
BlythStationLad
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by BlythStationLad »

Newsham, a junction station on the Blyth and Tyne Railway, had a subway from at least NER days. It still exists but was infilled on demolition of the platforms in the early 1970s.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

THanks again all. From your comments now happy my subway looks prototypical for what I'm trying to achieve.
Graeme