Grantham appearances?

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Grantham appearances?

Post by earlswood nob »

Hello all

When is Grantham making it's next appearance.

I could watch that layout all days, with the fantastic selection of locos and stock.

Earlswood nob
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Grantham appearances?

Post by jwealleans »

Hartlepool at the end of next month, Lincoln-at-Newark next February and Alexandra Palace in March.

The next one I have in my calendar after that is Wakefield, November 2018.
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

Earlswood, this is worrying allowing these scally wags to come done here, do you remember the comment after Woking - "Glad the layout was appreciated in 'enemy territory', sarf of the river."????? I'm not sure what to think. Is Lord Bytham due down this time to operate the loco shed?
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Hello all

Thanks for the info, and I'll be at Ally Pally, travelling via an ex-GNR line to get there, also ex-LBSCR to reach London.

Perhaps my old school friends, with whom I visit Ally Pally, will enjoy the potential of modelling the LNER.

I welcome anyone to the salf, who appreciates the land of culture. They can always have fun round the M25.

Earlswood nob
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Unless somebody pays me handsomely to permanently abandon my professional responsibilities, I'm very unlikely to be one of the Grantham crew for the Ally Pally show.
I have become utterly intolerant of the prospect of a long journey there, no doubt culminating in the aggravation of queueing in Friday outer London traffic for an eternity simply to get to the show to commence set-up, getting up at "un-necessary o'clock" on both days of the weekend, queueing again in traffic because the overnight accommodation is inconveniently remote from the venue, paying inflated prices for stodgy evening food and drink, then spending several hours (possibly with more queuing at the start) getting home, late, on the Sunday evening. I simply can't do a responsible job properly in the following week when I'm dead on my feet
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

Hartlepool is a bit far for me, especially as I'm away in Cornwall the following week.

However, Lincoln at Newark is a possibility as I can get there in three hours from deepest Surrey. We'll have to wait to see weather conditions nearer the date.

I shouldn't have made a remark about the M25 as yesterday was horrific locally as an accident closed the motorway, resulting in the traffic travelling though all the local villages.

Earlswood nob
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

Graeme, shame you won't be coming down, I can understand you reservations, if the M25 doesn't catch you then the North Circular Road will be waiting for you and if like for Borchester when it was at Ally Pally and they farm us out to a hotel over near Walthamstow, Spurs were at home and you just don't move anywhere. Us down sarf need a bit of Eastern injection now and again, I've seen it once at Woking, not finished but personally Grantham is better than Gresley Beat and the likes of Stoke Summit, but on par with Biggleswade, one's pre and the other post nationalisation, probably Grantham would win it because most of the stock is kit-built, modified or scratched by some inventive means. Next year access from mid-sussex will be even easier with the Thameslink work in London completed?????? direct trains to North of KX from Brighton, it won't stop at Ally Pally but hopefully it will at Finsbury Park.
When you are at Hartlepool make sure you go into the Rat Race on the station platform for a tipple. I'm sure you already know about it.
Earlswood, every day this week the M23 has been closed at sometime during the day, southbound has been closed even this morning.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

It may be an advantage next spring as Spurs are playing home games at Wembley.

I usually travel to Ally Pally via Victoria and Finsbury Park. It may be possible to go via Kings Cross Thameslink and get a direct train to Ally Pally.

As 60526 states the stock on Grantham is superior to other exhibition layout.

Earlswood nob
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

Well they must be quite good, I see that Jonathan, Graeme and Lord Bytham are down for demonstrating at the Warley show this show, could be a play on words there, I didn't realise that they were that militant.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I'm only there to see how much mess I can make doing a resin casting demo.....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I didn't realise that they were that militant.
Try splitting an infinitive in front of 'Sir' and see how militant he gets.
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

Jonathan, I think I could start with rigid chassis v flexi-chassis, I'd never win.
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

Looks like I'm a tad late to my own party? Partly explained by keeping getting posted to foreign climes for work assignments...

Many thanks for kind comments above. Yes, only a mere 10 days before we are 'on the road again' at the excellent Hartlepool show
https://www.facebook.com/HartlepoolMRG/

For those who may not be aware, the Hartlepool show is organised by Paul Bolton who has made most of the buildings for the layout.

Further layout development work will take place over the winter, notably the installation of the all important signals at the south end, which has hitherto looked a little bereft in that department. The target is to have them operational by the time of the Ally-Pally show.
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)