NER shed queries

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

NER shed queries

Post by Bryan »

I am wondering if anyone knows if the ex NER shed called NEWSHAM is listed as something else.
I have detail from K Hooles book on ploughs listing an allocation there, but in his book on NE locosheds it does not exist.
Can anyone through a light on this please?
I also have a query about BLACKHILL was this ANNFIELD PLAIN renamed?

Also is there a location for STELLA GILL?
I think this was west of Gateshead Metro centre but probably wrong.
I seem to remember doing a renewal at a place called Stella in that area.
Was it a power station?
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: NER shed queries

Post by 61070 »

Different Stellas, Bryan.

The power stations (North and South) were just west of Blaydon and were named after the settlement of Stella which is on the road leading from Blaydon up to Ryton. Stella South PS bordered the N&C.

Stella Gill is near Pelton Fell, west of Chester-le-Street, and adjoins what used to be the Tyne Dock - Consett line. There's an industrial estate there now - DH2 2RG.
f4kphantom
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by f4kphantom »

Hi Bryan,
I think the Newsham you refer to is the one near Blyth. Blackhill and Annfield Plain are both near Consett. Annfield on the line from Consett out to Stanley and Blackhill on the line out towards Rowlands Gill.

Cheers, John
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

61070 wrote:Different Stellas, Bryan.

The power stations (North and South) were just west of Blaydon and were named after the settlement of Stella which is on the road leading from Blaydon up to Ryton. Stella South PS bordered the N&C.

Stella Gill is near Pelton Fell, west of Chester-le-Street, and adjoins what used to be the Tyne Dock - Consett line. There's an industrial estate there now - DH2 2RG.
stella north was feed with coal from the other n&c line via newburn and scotswood
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Bryan im posting this map partly in response to your earlier picture question about the location of a plough at Blyth. I think the area around the turntable clinches it as the location shown and indeed Newsham is an area of Blyth.
The other reason in posting this map is a tramway is shown running behind some of the houses top left on the map is this a similar system as was used in Ashington for delivering coal and removing rubbish. Ive never heard of a system like this in Blyth any comments gents.
http://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/006635FS.htm
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Stella Gill was not strictly speaking on the Consett line, it was on the course of the original Stanhope & Tyne which was a branch from the Consett line at South Pelaw when the "new" line opened. The S& T was later severed near Waldridge.
Again, Annfield Plain shed was not on the main line but was on the Harelaw Branch which diverged at Annfield Plain Junction (to the east of Annfield Plain station) and ran in a broad curve over the hills before joining up with the Tanfield Branch at what is now the southern terminus of the Tanfield Railway.
The original Consett station was called Blackhill and had a loco shed which of course lasted till the end of steam (as Consett shed) but should not be confused with the later Blackhill station on the Consett - Newcastle via Rowlands Gill line.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Thanks for the responses.
What made me wonder about Annfield and Blackhill is that the 2 plough allocation for Annfield seems to be relocated to Blackhill between 1939 + 1947
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

There was a shed near Stella Gill, Pelton Level, Consett shed was perhaps nearer to Blackhill than Consett. At one time there was also a shed at Annfield.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Here's a shot I took in 1980 when visiting Consett on a railtour. It's taken from Consett North signalbox looking east; the brick wall is all that remains of Consett shed, with a diesel fuelling point tacked onto the side. The entire Steelworks and railway area at Consett has been so thoroughly landscaped that you would never know it was there - almost as though they were ashamed of it. :oops:

P.S any H&SE Inspectors reading NOTE this was 1980.
Attachments
37143 Consett 1980.JPG
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

PinzaC55 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:04 pm Again, Annfield Plain shed was not on the main line but was on the Harelaw Branch which diverged at Annfield Plain Junction (to the east of Annfield Plain station) and ran in a broad curve over the hills before joining up with the Tanfield Branch at what is now the southern terminus of the Tanfield Railway.
Can anyone confirm when the link with the Stanhope & Tyne line to the Tanfield branch via the Harelaw waggonway was severed? Owing to the inclines on the Tanfield branch I assume it was simply another connection to Tanfield Moor Colliery, north of which (on the Tanfield branch) was White-le-Head incline to start the journey down to the Tyne, itself closed off the Tanfield branch post-WW2
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

I think the line from Annfield Plain junction to Annfield Plain shed was closed in about 1955 but this is just from memory. I walked this area in about 1978 and the track was still in from the junction to Annfield Crossing at that time though just as sidings. I walked the entire Harelaw branch in about 1994 and there was still plenty to see including a nice set of level crossing gates about half way round.
There's a nice early 70s photo of Annfield Crossing in Ken Hooles book "Railway History In Pictures North-East England". There was a pub next to it called the Stanhope And Tyne Railway Inn but if you go on Google Earth one shot shows it still existing but if you move down the street it has been replaced by houses.