Haywood - Updated Locomotive roster

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Haywood (Formerly Coalby & Marblethorpe) - (First Project!!!) kitbashing a fictitious Gresley A1 prototype

Post by Nova »

cctransuk wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:33 pm
Might I suggest that the old Lima 'pizza-cutter' wheels of the tender detract somewhat from this conversion?

A slice taken out of the frames above the springs would enable much more visually attractive, larger diameter wheels to be fitted; not a difficult cut-and-shut.

Regards,
John Isherwood.
I know the wheel detract, though I think they're Roco not Lima. it's a necessary evil as I don't feel confident performing a cut'n'shut on an area where it's vital to maintain squareness and ensure each side is parallel from each other. in time I shall be replacing the tender with a more accurate GNR coal rail tender. for now it will serve its purpose
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
Wainwright
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Re: Haywood (Formerly Coalby & Marblethorpe) - (First Project!!!) kitbashing a fictitious Gresley A1 prototype

Post by Wainwright »

Impressed with the squared-off front, and the overall shape of the cab!

Unhelpful late comment which I wish I'd posted earlier... Did you consider giving it square steampipes as per the K2/1 moguls?
Nova

Post by Nova »

Wainwright wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:02 pm Impressed with the squared-off front, and the overall shape of the cab!

Unhelpful late comment which I wish I'd posted earlier... Did you consider giving it square steampipes as per the K2/1 moguls?
comments are always appreciated

I may well do that when I take a second swing at it: GNR cab, revised running board. based on this drawing (Credited to S.A.C. Martin of this forum if I'm not mistaken)
http://www.pegnsean.net/~railwayseries/ ... -03-a0.jpg
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

Nova

Re: Haywood (Formerly Coalby & Marblethorpe) - First look at the HW&YR "K6"

Post by Nova »

Quite a big update for the layout, though the shed to hold the layout isn't completed yet. I've been in discussions with a man who goes by the alias of "Sparkshot" and has a shop on shapeways where he makes his own kits. he's agreed to make an altered version of one of his kits (a mogul based on the L&Y class 28) and has even been kind enough to make a render of it to get a feel of what the completed locomotive should look like in something approaching LNER livery

in all I think it makes for a very handsome looking 2-6-0 and it looks better than I thought it would when I first envisaged it in my mind. it will also be available for general release through his shop on shapeways sometime after september. He shall also be doing bodyshells for the "D55" 0-4-0 and "J49" 0-6-0T based on his pre-existing products.

such wonderful times that we live in where if one desires they can come up with a totally fictional locomotive and have someone model it for them in 3D then have it 3D printed. certainly beats hours of scratch building (though I'm not above a bit of scratch building mind you)

Richard i
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Richard i »

Almost like the proposed Robinson mogul.
Nova

Post by Nova »

Richard i wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:52 pm Almost like the proposed Robinson mogul.
Robinson Proposed a mogul?

either way it's purely coincidental.

James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by James Harrison »

Nova wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:40 pm
Richard i wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:52 pm Almost like the proposed Robinson mogul.
Robinson Proposed a mogul?

either way it's purely coincidental.
There's a drawing of it in W A Tuplin's Great Central Steam. (I built a model of it a few years ago, it's now overdue a rebuild).

That look like it will be a very nice mogul of yours by-the-by; looking forward to seeing it progress.
Nova

Re: Haywood (Formerly Coalby & Marblethorpe) - kitbashing a Toad "F" brakevan

Post by Nova »

Decided to tackle a slightly less ambitious project than fictional locomotives whilst I wait for funds to obtain decoders for my existing (and admittedly meager) fleet. I had an evening free, a large surplus of brakevans (8 in total verses a fleet of just 24 wagons) and a knackered Hornby railroad teak. this was the result concocted from my most likely insane mind: the Toad-F 40T bogie brake van, designed for use on fast freights such as the windcutter and Scotch goods.

the chassis is the ends of a Railroad teak coach brought together with some good old "cut and shutting". meanwhile the body is from two Bachmann Toad Es cut about to give offset duckets so that no matter what side you view it from the one on the viewing side is to the left ever so slightly.

I'll be honest and say I'm not totally happy with how the body has come out, though I have yet to strip the paint and fill in any voids, and in time I'll probably scratch build a new body out of styrene

Nova

Re: Haywood (Formerly Coalby & Marblethorpe) - kitbashing a Toad "F" brakevan

Post by Nova »

not much in the way of tangible progress that can be shown in pictures. the Toad F is being worked on between other projects, should need another decent coat of paint and it'll be good enough to be committed to stock. I recently DCC fitted a Triang 3F using one of the Hattons 1.1amp decoders and it now runs better than it ever did before, even on traditional analog power meaning the Back EMF must also function on DC to regulate the motor. I'll be getting some LNER wagon stansfers courtesy of HMRS and I'll be getting my first modern image locomotive in the form of a Hornby Railroad class 31. the eventual aim is to paint it in fully lined apple green (more on that in a moment)

been doing a bit more musing and rethinking of a few details (better to do this now than have a change of heart halfway through working on a project) and changed/decided on a few details to greater reflect what others have suggested in the past:
  • diesels, rather than being designed for specific railways, will be available as off the shelf designs similar to the situation in America from the 30s to the 90s. this in fact allows for some unique situations, such as locomotives changing hands multiple times: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7e/32/9d ... 401532.jpg
    in line with this. I'll be getting a class 31 to eventually repaint into LNER apple green as a class "DEM5" in the D2025 - D2114 number range
  • instead of having colliery companies go through a "lite-nationalisation" and divided into counties they will instead fall under the control of the railway company they exchange with. similar to the NCB except the wagons and locomotives of each colliery would instead have the markings of one of the big four, original numbers on locomotives would be retained for simplicity, with "XYZ Colliery"painted near to the number, whilst open wagons would fall into a group pool and numbered in series, of course a great many would simply have a black box with details hastily scrawled on in the corner of the existing dilapidated paintwork.
  • I recall during a discussion, on the topic of a scenario where nationalisation didn't occur, where someone mentioned that the level of reparations to the railways by the government would be so great as to be a de facto-nationalisation. Well I believe I'm thought of a solution to this.

What about the government setting up the British Transport Commission in order to perform a duty similar to Network Rail does today, working alongside private companies in order to rebuild and maintain, as well as assist with upgrading, railway infrastructure. alongside this they will replace the RCH in setting standards and regulations.

Locomotives owned by the BTC would consist predominantly of surplus War department locomotives; Stanier 8Fs, Riddles WDs, Austerity tanks, USATC S160 2-8-0s & S100 0-6-0t, as well as the occasional big four mixed traffic 4-6-0s such as Black 5s, Halls and B1s for track inspection and royal train duties, though over time these would transition to diesel locomotives. All locomotives would be painted in lined claret as per royal colours, with the British crest on the tender or side tanks with the words "British Transport Commision" below the crest.

Nova

Re: Haywood - Updated Locomotive roster

Post by Nova »

I've been doing a lot of pondering regarding Diesel and Electric locomotives, and as a result my current plan for LNER owned locomotives differs greatly compared to how it did originally (as mentioned in my previous posts). I thought it was about time I publicly revised the current locomotive designations to avoid confusion.

all locomotives are listed numerically in accordance with their power classification and representative of the fleet as of 1965, when the electrification from London to Doncaster would have been completed. whereas their classification was applied chronologically, as a result some of the classifications are a bit mixed due to more powerful locomotives being introduced before less powerful ones

Diesel locomotives:

Shunters
D1 - D2: Petrol Shunters.
D3 - D7: DES1 & DES2
D8 - D249: DES3 (YEC Janus)
D250 - D399: DES4 (Class 08)
D400 - D424: DES5 (Class 02)

Type 1 Locomotives:
D500 - D519: DEM1 (BTH Boxcab Bo-Bo design as used by Ford Dagenham But with a Rolls Royce 640 hp DV8)
D520 - D539: DEF1 (Class 15, in later years refitted with English Electric engines)
D540 - D549: DEF2 (Class 16, in later years refitted with English electric engines)
D550 - D609: DEF4 (Class 17 fitted with Rolls Royce DV8s as with BR numbers 8586–8587)
D1005 - D1115: DEF3 (Class 20)

Type 2 Locomotives:
D1115 - D1155: DEM3 (Class 21, later rebuilt as with class 29)
D1156 - D1174: DEE2 (Class 23 Baby Deltic)
D1175 - D1322: DEM4 (Class 24/25)

Type 3 Locomotives:
D2000 - D2024: DEE1 (1-Bo-Bo-1 locomotive as per the LNER's 1947 proposal)
D2025 - D2114: DEM2 (Class 31)
D2115 - D2394: DEM7 (Class 37)

Type 4 Locomotives:
D3000 - D3099: DEM5 (Class 40)
D3100 - D3109: DEM6 (Class 41 "Warship")
D3110 - D3229: DEM8 (Class 47)
D3230 - D3379: DEM9 (GM-EMD Co-Co, as per CIE Class 071)
D3380 - D3529: DEM10 (Alco Co-Co, as per RENFE class 321)
D3530 - D3679: DEM11 (GE Co-Co as per AFE class 1500 )

Type 5 Locomotives:
D4000 - D4069: DEE3 (Class 55 Deltic)

Electric locomotives:

Shunters:
E1-E2: ES1
E3-E249: ES2 (English Electric Steeple cab)
E250-E269: ES3 (4 wheel steeple cab for shunting around small yards and engine sheds)

1000-1999hp electrics:
E1000: EE1
E1001 - E1010: EB1
E1011 - E1299: EM1

2000-2999hp electrics:
E2000 - E2099: EM2

3000-3999hp electrics:
E3000 - E3079: EE2 (Westinghouse Bo-Bo-Bo Design, as per RENFE class 7800)
E3080 - E3229: EM3 (English Electric Co-Co design, as per RENFE class 7700)
E3230 - E3379: EM4 (Baldwin Co-Co design, as per NS Class 1200)
E3380-E3479: EF1 (English Electric 2-Co-Co-2 design, body styling based on the EM3 with unpowered leading/trailing bogies to provide additional braking on unfitted frieght trains)

Nova

Re: Haywood - first attempt at Lining

Post by Nova »

Just before Christmas a member of the local club gave me some part used sets of HMRS transfers, letters & Numbers, and lining to be precise. with this in mind I decided to take another crack at repainting my N2, considering I wasn't totally satisfied with my first attempt.

I've also gave it a totally different number. In a new numbering scheme reflecting a further refinement of the 1946 renumbering in about 1953/54, numbering the majority of locomotive classes (barring the pacifics) in chronological order (so Harrison J1 followed by J6, J10, J11, J15 and so on) in this instance the N2s are in the 9290-9396 range, preceded by the Thompson L1s (9000-9099), Harrison L2 (9100-9249) and N1 (9250-9289).

in this instance 9364 is representing an N2 displaced from London by the arrival of the L2s (an improvement based on the L1 with larger driving wheels more suited for suburban work, with the L1s being put to work hauling coal trains in the Yorkshire coal fields), had its condensing gear removed and allocated to Doncaster for hauling local passenger and pickup goods, with the occasional turn on empty coaching stock between Doncaster and York as well as rescuing the newly arrived and temperamental NBL type 2s

Platypus
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Re: Haywood - Updated Locomotive roster

Post by Platypus »

Dear Nova,

I have just read your first post re Haywood ( OO - 4mm ), an interesting idea. One little known fact is that Clyde Engineering of Granville, a suburb of Sydney, NSW, Australia had submitted a tender to the BTC to supply 5 Pilot Double ended CoCo diesel electrics similar to the Victorian Railways B class
( B60 - B85 ) Clyde _ GM-EMD model ML-2, 1500hp, based on the then current EMD F7. It was the first twin cab EMD diesel, a concept which EMD allegedly opposed, yet it became the predecessor of the European NoHab twin cab EMDs.

It was also the first overseas use of an EMD 3 axle 3 traction motor bogie, as the SD7 was introduced at the same time in 1952. The previous 3 axle bogie designs were A1A bogies with an unpowered centre axle. There were two designs, the Blomberg type as fitted to the EA to E9 series of US passenger diesels, the four wheel Blomberg version was fitted to the F and GP series version.

The BTC rejected the Clyde tender as the British Government wanted to promote British engineering.

Regards, Platypus