LNER company houses

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Nimbus
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

LNER company houses

Post by Nimbus »

Does anybody know if there is a published history of housing owned by the LNER - stated to be 2,460 labouring class dwellings, 9,491 houses and cottages for staff, and 6,167 other houses and cottages, in 1930? There is a little on crossing cottages, but I can find nothing on matters such as platelayers homes - often at junctions - and other such staff habitations often tucked away on marginal railway land. Many have been demolished since the 1960s. The district of Cambridge known as Romsey Town was once regarded as a railway village, and many railway staff lived there, but whether the houses were in railway ownership I do not know. ( There was a 24/7 shop especially for railway staff and several social clubs closely associated with the railway, one of which was opened by Claud Hamilton ). Many thanks for your thoughts!
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER company houses

Post by 65447 »

Not that I'm aware of, although there may be references in the minute books to transactions associated with it. There have been occasional articles in line society journals that describe it incidentally and certain other histories that include examples, such as Peter Kay's 'Essex Railway Heritage' which includes a chapter on GER staff housing.

Most of the housing was provided by the constituent companies and the LNER merely took it on as part of the assets.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

The North Eastern Railway had many housing projects, which the LNER (NE Area) added to considerably.

I believe Ken Hoole did something on these. Bill Fawcett also has some information in his NER architecture volumes.

John
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Ages ago i mentioned the NER cottage homes on here with a good response
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Caledonian
NER J27 0-6-0
Location: South Gosforth LNER but Aberdeen (Kitty) originally

Post by Caledonian »

As I recall, the NER Cottage homes [with a nice row of them still extant just a few hundred metres south of South Gosforth Station] were owned and administered by an independent trust and therefore wouldn't be included in the NER or LNER assets.

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that they were primarily intended intended for NER employees who had to vacate operational accomodation on their retirement.
Stuart

A fool is a person who makes false conclusions from right principles; whereas a madman, on the contrary, draws right conclusions from wrong principles [Encyclopedia Britannica 1797]