Help! Need help finding drawings of rebuilt W1

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

madusjockus
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Help! Need help finding drawings of rebuilt W1

Post by madusjockus »

Hi Guys
I'm desperately trying to find a source of scale drawings for the rebuilt W1. I suspect this may have appeared on here all ready. As an alternative can anyone remember which issue in Railway Modeller such a conversion appreared. I've been scrabbling through books and magazines to no avail as well as t'internet. Lots of photos but no drawings. This is driving me crazy so any help or pointers gratefully received.
Cheers
kev
Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Help! Need help finding drawings of rebuilt W1

Post by Nova »

Have you tried Isinglass drawings? haven't used them but I'm told they are of a very high quality and are available in just about every scale under the sun
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by teaky »

As Nova says, Isinglas may have what you need.

http://www.isinglass-models.co.uk/index.html

A search for W1 comes up with drawings for the original and rebuilt locomotive.

I don't know about Railway Modeller but there are articles in Model Railway Journal:
3 - Kit build by Tim Shackleton
146 - Conversion/scratchbuild by Bob Merry
222 - Resin conversion(s) by Graeme King (part 1)
224 - part 2
225 - part 3

Graeme's conversions are also on this forum if you haven't already seen them.
madusjockus
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by madusjockus »

Thanks guys- I had forgotten about Isenglass- got some nice drawings for the B16 from them many moons ago. I have the GK MRJ articles but not close to hand- Anyway will await the arrrival of drawings and then work out the best way to turn a Hornby Dublo A4 into a W1.

Cheers
Kev
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Hi Kev,
Not trying to state the obvious but South Eastern Finecast do a whitemetal kit for the rebuilt W1. That might make a straightforward approach.
Regards,
Vernon
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good day all rom sunny Surrey

I have the South Eastern Finecast rebuilt W1, it is making up into a good model.

The chassis is very good, and I've fitted a large Mashima motor with High Level gearbox.

The loco body is going together well.

The one downpoint is the tender, it needs some detailing work on the tender body to match the quality of the rest of the kit.

I also have the original Hush-Hush loco to build. There is so much room in the body casing that a large motor could be fitted, with plenty of lead, to give a mega-hauler.

Earlswood nob
madusjockus
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by madusjockus »

Hi Guys
This is the fun bit- the new body needs to fit an H-D A4 three rail chassis and use the original tender as well. As an aside when the W1 was rebuilt there were servicing lamps under the skirt- now we know where a certain class of young chaps got the idea for underlighting their cars- that Gresley was so ahead of his time!

BTW yes I'm aware of the SEF kits- did mention it to my client- its gotta be Hornby Dublo! As long as I can find some really small solid countersunk rivets it should be OK.

Cheers
Kev