Atso's new loco works - now including my Hadley Wood layout build

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Atso's new loco works

Post by Atso »

Some progress on a long term project, Humorist c. 1938 completely repainted from a Dapol Gladiateur model. On the final straight now. The locomotive is a mix of transfers and hand lining and the buffer beams and buffer stocks are yet to be tackled.
Humorist 27-09-17 small.jpg
Steve
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Very nice model of my favourite loco.
My long term project of the same version is also stalled and has been for sometime, looking at yours may inspire a restart :shock: .

I think this version is the best looking of all it's looks, followed by the cut down smokebox with the vents behind the chimney.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Dave wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:28 am Very nice model of my favourite loco.
My long term project of the same version is also stalled and has been for sometime, looking at yours may inspire a restart :shock: .

I think this version is the best looking of all it's looks, followed by the cut down smokebox with the vents behind the chimney.
Thank you Dave.

I agree that this is the best looking version of Humorist and luckily the easiest to model! I'm not a massive fan of the other modifications made but will happily admit that they do give a very interesting look to an A3.

The Middleton is slowly making its way through the works at the moment. As a Hunt class is really should have rotary valve gear but I've not plucked up the courage to tackle this yet...
The Middleton 28-09-17.jpg
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

A bit more work on Humorist...
Humorist 29-09-17.jpg
Steve
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Humorist is looking good. No new updates from me I'm enjoying the delights of the Capricorn coast, in Qld, you know, Palms, beaches etc, back soon. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

manna wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:16 pm G'Day Gents

Humorist is looking good. No new updates from me I'm enjoying the delights of the Capricorn coast, in Qld, you know, Palms, beaches etc, back soon. :D

manna
Thanks Manna! Enjoy the palm trees and beaches - alright for some.... :evil: :evil: :lol:
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

This arrived from Shapeways today. Not much to look at until it is primed, so the details can be seen, but below is my effort at a V1 body to fit a Farish N class chassis.
LNER V1 Frosted Extreme Detail.jpg
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

A couple of cruel extreme close ups of the V1 and an N2 both running on modified Graham Farish N class chassis.
V1 Extreme Close up small picture.JPG
N2 Extreme Close up 2 small picture.JPG
Steve
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

Nothing cruel about those, they look superb. hard to believe they're so small. What next on your 3d print hit list? decent looking V2, V4, P1(already done?). Very clever stuff (actual clever......not design clever).

Cheers
Paul
Mersey508138
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Mersey508138 »

Although I don't model in N gauge I would be interested to see the V2, V4 & P1
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

nzpaul wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:59 pm Nothing cruel about those, they look superb. hard to believe they're so small. What next on your 3d print hit list? decent looking V2, V4, P1(already done?). Very clever stuff (actual clever......not design clever).
Mersey508138 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:55 pm Although I don't model in N gauge I would be interested to see the V2, V4 & P1
Thank you so much guys.

Paul, I did the CAD for the P1 (but not the tender) some time ago but it never progressed beyond a couple of test prints due to the problem of sourcing a suitable chassis for it. It will happen at some point.

The V2 is one that I'd love to do and have a set of Isinglass drawings for it. However, the same problem exists in that there isn't a suitable chassis for it (and don't get me started on the Farish V2 mechanism). I think that the best way forward to be to use a Farish B1 as the donor and custom build a loco chassis/valve gear for it retaining the driving wheels and tender drive (using the first two types of group standard tender bodies from the Farish J39s).

I've always found the V4 a fascinating locomotive but slightly out of my own modelling period and well out of the area (I've finally decided I'm modelling Hadley Wood in the suburbs of London c. 1930-39, as it is small and simple while still being on the ECML). That said, The Gresley Beat, made an exception so maybe 'rule 1' can apply.

The CAD exists for a K2 which was originally going to sit on the N class chassis now under the N2 before the valve gear disintegrated due to my attempts to modify it (why use plastic clips/rivets in such an important area?). The standard C1 Atlantic is another long term project for which I'm yet to come up with a satisfactory solution and my model of 3279 (Mr King??? :P ) is now undergoing a refurbishment/replacement body to correct some bits I'm not happy with from my original attempt. Then there is the small matter of a P2.....

Referring to Paul's reference to 'Design Clever' I personally think that it was potentially a good concept but applied to all the wrong areas of the models Hornby produced. I could live with some moulded on details (especially in N gauge!) but moulded handrails and items that would clearly have daylight showing underneath??? A bit of thought into reusing common components such as driving wheels, valve gear bits, ponies/bogies, bearings, etc would have been far more clever, if not as cost effective - although you have to question just how cost effective design clever was when it negatively affected sales.... If they'd been a bit (ok, a lot!) smarter in their choices where to compromise and hadn't done such a big PR campaign, would it have been such a disaster?
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

My own printer is finally back in action and the first test print was successful enough to warrant being turned into an actual model...
K3 GNR Cab and chassis small picture.JPG
The tender has been stolen from a J39 and isn't the final tender, but it is the right design.

The only problem is I'm running out of Farish N class locomotives to donate their chassis towards proper locomotives!
Steve
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The K3/1 is looking rather good.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:33 pm The K3/1 is looking rather good.
Thank you Graeme, it wouldn't have happened without your help. Thank you.

The wonders of quick drying acrylic paint...
K3 N2 and V1 initial painting.JPG
Somewhat glossy at the moment but needed for lining...
Steve
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

I guess selecting a chassis could be a real headache at times. A Fleischmann or Minitrix BR41 might suit P1 or P2 projet, but what a price to pay. A Model Power USRA 2-8-2 perhaps but again not cheap and not always easy to find, and they make quite a noise when on the move. I have a Spectrum N&W J 4-8-4 and Proto 2-8-4 in N scale, both run very sweetly but I doubt you'd sqeeze the mechs inside anything of British origin.
Your high speed prgress is impressive.

Cheers
Paul