Atso's new loco works - now including my Hadley Wood layout build

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Atso's new loco works

Post by Atso »

nzpaul wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:01 pm I guess selecting a chassis could be a real headache at times. A Fleischmann or Minitrix BR41 might suit P1 or P2 projet, but what a price to pay. A Model Power USRA 2-8-2 perhaps but again not cheap and not always easy to find, and they make quite a noise when on the move. I have a Spectrum N&W J 4-8-4 and Proto 2-8-4 in N scale, both run very sweetly but I doubt you'd sqeeze the mechs inside anything of British origin.
Your high speed prgress is impressive.

Cheers
Paul
Indeed it can be difficult! I've got a couple of non running Fleischmann class 39s that are a little long in the wheelbase for a P1 but might just be made to be presentable...

My current ideas around the P2 is to use a Farish A2 as a starting point and simply make an extension to fit another set of wheels at the front (spares already obtained). The model is tender driven so I'll not have to worry about upsetting the drive with any modifications and I'll ignore any additional pickups as this is not a problem on the A2 chassis as built. Strangely, if successful, the development on an N gauge P2 would be to complete reverse of Thompson's development of his A2 class!

I've got a couple of older Spectrum 2-8-0's that I hoped could be used for an O1 or O2 but, as you say, there is no way the mechanisms would ever fit inside a british prototype!
Steve
smudger
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by smudger »

Nice work, Steve. Did you say Hadley Wood? In the 30s?
HW1.jpg
I have a lot of research material I could share. Send me a PM if interested.

One issue is no decent photos from this angle in the right time period. There's a photo from about 1928 which shows no coal staithes, but I have an aerial photo from 1948 which appears to show them.

Alan
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

The above picture of Hadley Wood reminds me of Crouch End station on Northern Heights line.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

smudger wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:02 pm Nice work, Steve. Did you say Hadley Wood? In the 30s?

HW1.jpg

I have a lot of research material I could share. Send me a PM if interested.

One issue is no decent photos from this angle in the right time period. There's a photo from about 1928 which shows no coal staithes, but I have an aerial photo from 1948 which appears to show them.

Alan
Hi Alan,

Yes please, I'll PM you a little later.

Many thanks!
manna wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:16 pm G'Day Gents

The above picture of Hadley Wood reminds me of Crouch End station on Northern Heights line.

manna
Hi Manna,

Interesting as Hadley wood reminds me a little of Harringay/Hornsey stations - but Palmers Green reminds me more of Winchmore Hill and vice versa for some strange reason :lol: . I always thought that Hadley Wood was a wooden building but some recently discovered photographs (by me at least) show that the entrance and sides were of brick construction. This left me confused as the side facing the railway looked like it was wood - Alan's model seems to confirm that it was.

I live about 30-40 minutes away from Hadley Wood but unfortunately little seems to remain of the original station other than the brick supports for the bridge. Most of the local buildings are still there but, alas, not the ones immediately either side of the station.
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Due to the very glossy finish on these locomotives, it is difficult to see at the moment but all the hand lining has been completed on these three.
K3 N2 V1 Painting and Lining.jpg
Boiler bands, lettering and numbers will be done using Fox Transfers and handrails, buffers, final detailing and a much needed coat of matt varnish will see this trio completed soon.
Steve
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Hi Steve,

You have my admiration for tackling lining on an N gauge loco with either transfers or pen. My eyes ache just thinking about it.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Robpulham wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:23 pm Hi Steve,

You have my admiration for tackling lining on an N gauge loco with either transfers or pen. My eyes ache just thinking about it.
Thank you Rob, it was you who got me into hand lining with the first bow/ruling pen all those years ago.

The K3 and N2 are nearing completion but the lining maybe isn't quite as neat as I would've liked...
K3 4004.jpg
N2 4750.jpg
Steve
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The irregularities always look worse to a person with a critical eye who is doing, or has just done the work. Put the model out of sight and look again a few days later from normal viewing range - I bet your opinion will be less critical. I doubt whether most viewers will ever get close enough, or have good enough eyesight and judgement to find much fault anyway.

If you're still convinced in a few days that it isn't quite as you want it, you may feel more motivation to have another go at that stage, in a calm frame of mind.....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:30 am The irregularities always look worse to a person with a critical eye who is doing, or has just done the work. Put the model out of sight and look again a few days later from normal viewing range - I bet your opinion will be less critical. I doubt whether most viewers will ever get close enough, or have good enough eyesight and judgement to find much fault anyway.

If you're still convinced in a few days that it isn't quite as you want it, you may feel more motivation to have another go at that stage, in a calm frame of mind.....
Thank you Graeme,

This, along with some of my other work, were on display at TaD-Rail in Wing yesterday as part of my demonstration stand (yes, somebody was crazy enough to ask me to be a demonstrator) - my thanks to the Tring and District club for inviting me. The feedback I got on the lining was unanimously positive, especially compared to my original N2's (4744) lining job, so I think I'll be leaving them as they are.

While the locomotives and some raw prints were on display (and discussed at length), my main job for the day was to demonstrate wagon building and I managed to put together about 70% of a BH Enterprises etched van body over six hours. Amazingly I taught three people to solder, which was no mean feat considering I've only been a 'successful' solderer for less than a year, and demonstrated the use of my ruling (bow) pen as well as how to brush paint corners to four or five people.

It was very different sitting on the other side of a demonstration stand (I was so nervous I was shaking for the first fifteen minutes!) and, while several people stated that they would be having a go with the techniques I showed them, many more seemed to have given up before sitting down to talk. I heard the, I'll never be able to do that (having never even tried in nearly every case), comment far too many times. My general response was that I'd have never thought I'd be doing this ten years ago and then showed them some of my earlier efforts to demonstrate my own progression as I (hopefully) learnt and developed new skills. Fair enough, I agree that not everyone can learn a particular skill (that's a comment about life in general, not just modelling) but how are you to find out if you can if you are not prepared to try and take the time to practice and learn?

I am not naturally the most confident or positive of people but I do like to try and emulate others whose work/efforts/attitudes I admire. While the day was for the vast majority very positive, I do hope that I never come across as negatively as one or two people I met and, if I do, please accept my sincerest apologies.
Steve
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Atso wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:04 pm
Thank you Rob, it was you who got me into hand lining with the first bow/ruling pen all those years ago.
Wow Steve,

That was a long time ago, are you still using the pen?

While at Telford Chris found quite a bargain for me. She was rummaging through a box on the Executor and Trustee stand when she found a new, boxed, Haff bow compass for £8, I couldn't get my hand in my pocket quick enough...

PS the lining looks pretty good from here too, I agree with Graeme sometime we are our own worst critics.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Robpulham wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:43 am Wow Steve,

That was a long time ago, are you still using the pen?

While at Telford Chris found quite a bargain for me. She was rummaging through a box on the Executor and Trustee stand when she found a new, boxed, Haff bow compass for £8, I couldn't get my hand in my pocket quick enough...

PS the lining looks pretty good from here too, I agree with Graeme sometime we are our own worst critics.
Hi Rob,

It was a long time ago, wasn't it?!

My own regular pens are now a couple of Kern's, which I picked up on ebay at a very reasonable price, and a Haff bow compass that I received as a birthday present in June. The Kern is a really nice pen but the nibs are a tiny bit springy which requires a bit of care in use. The original pen you obtained for me still sees some action but not for the really fine work - its main use nowadays is to make short work of painting locomotive wheel spokes but does still occasionally get used for the job it was intended for.

Your £8 Haff bow compass set was a real find and I hope you treated your wife to a nice meal! I know that my own was ordered directly from Haff (I had to find the one I wanted) and was around £40! The Haff is the best pen I owned but it doesn't come with a handle for use as a normal pen and the fitting is annoyingly not of a size that will fit any of my other handles - I know what I'm hoping for as a Christmas present this year!
Steve
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Hi Atso my conversion of a Hornby OO N2 into a more detailed version is progressing can i ask where you got your lining info from. The Hornby boiler is lacking a set in front and behind the safety valves and has a total of four bands, one by the smokebox, one halfway between smokebox and dome, one bisects the dome and the last is halfway between dome and cab.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

52D wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:05 pm Hi Atso my conversion of a Hornby OO N2 into a more detailed version is progressing can i ask where you got your lining info from. The Hornby boiler is lacking a set in front and behind the safety valves and has a total of four bands, one by the smokebox, one halfway between smokebox and dome, one bisects the dome and the last is halfway between dome and cab.
Hi 52D,

I've based my N2's lining on both the preserved example as well as two colour photographs of a lined A8 and V1 from 'The Big Four in Colour' (pages 84 & 85) which are both dated 1939. To the best of my knowledge the LNER would have double lined every boiler band on passenger and mixed traffic locomotive liveries. Please note that my own N2 has a slightly simplified lining as the tank lining should extend around the front of the tanks (but apparently just end there and not meet up) but I couldn't get the box pen in there and I've so far not been successful in lining painted decal paper (but I think I'm almost there now). Also the front of the cab and sandboxes should also be lined really and maybe I'll try to tackle this on the next one.
Steve
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Thanks for that Atso, im still rubbing down but the awful die mark at the bunker rear has gone, im going for the paint stripper next to clear the boiler and sand boxes then the top of the boiler will be fettled. If i can get rid of the line along the top of the boiler i have the begining of a fine model rather than a toy.1938 is exactly the year i want. great info.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

No problem and best of luck with fettling the N2 body. Best bit of advice I can give to anyone is to find a copy of 'The Big Four in Colour' and buy it whatever the price - it is worth its weight in gold in my opinion.
Steve