Burton Lane Junction, York

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Burton Lane Junction, York

Post by x568wcn »

I have decided that I am to try and build a real location on my railway having spent most of Saturday night ripping up the old, then Sunday putting down the new, and nailing it in place (my Mum said Monday after we;d been to the show, but now it's only Wednesday!)
I want to build the affore mentioned title of Burton Lane Junction here in York, and I know I live 5 mins away, but it don't exist any more, and I can just remember standing on the bridge over the line, watching a BR Blue DMU stopping at Rowntrees Halt.

Anyway, does anyone know of a good track plan?
I have with me now, the present ariel view, and an old view of rowntrees halt.

I have Railway Memories 5 Return to York, which has a line drawing, and again (it came today) Rail Centres No2 York, which only has line.
My problem is, that the picture of Rowntrees halt, shows 3 lines, where did the 3rd one come off from? Is it off the main line (tricky to model) or does it peel off after that, as a seperate loop siding for the Halt?

I've chosen the location for the main line to Scarborough, then the line off to Rowntrees, Foss Islands Yard, the DVLR, and on to Selby and Hull, plus, further up (off the board) is the Bootham Junction to Stamford Bridge and Hull, so will afford a lot of traffic about as apposed the lowley 185 going one each way each hour now!
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
50A
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 50A »

Hi Mark.
Keep on looking and you should find out the information that you require.

Th junction at Burton Lane was a double juntion (iirc) the 3rd line was the platform loop. this rejoined the line just beyond Rowntree's Halt (on the way to Foss Islands). Just beyond this, the 2 tracks singled and there was the triling access into Rowntree's factory itself. If you check out the Santona book on designing a model railway (by Flint/Ripley/Gibbon/Lund), Rowntree's halt is featured as a possible layout.

Andy
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Mark,

I have a book with the complete layout of Rowntree's factory and the halt, with the double junction.

"Branch line to the Derwent Valley" by Vic Mitchell and Keith Smith, published by Middleton Press in 2003 ISBN 1 904474 06 3.

I was brought up in York and I well remember the branch. Traffic went to the Gas Works, Fosse Island's Yard, The Derwent Valley Light Railway, a laundry (coal), the York Power Station, Leethams Mills and so on, a very interesting bit of track.

Colombo
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Cheers, found that one http://www.transportdiversions.com/publ ... pubid=3850 but I'll see what the museum has over weekend, or t'show on Mondea.

This is my first attempt, but I might need to move it along so i can afford a larger fiddle yard for it.
I'm just a bit jubious about the bridge over the Main line, which would be the extent of the board, just before the curve, as I don't believe it built in my late 30's early 40's era.

and the real place, at over 90 degrees round!
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2& ... &encType=1
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Colombo wrote:Mark,

"Branch line to the Derwent Valley" by Vic Mitchell and Keith Smith, published by Middleton Press in 2003 ISBN 1 904474 06 3.

Colombo
Well reccomended Colombo, now I have my track plan, and I (as I thought I might) now need a set of points just below the junction, and I could do the siding back in to the scrap yard even!

But it also gives me scope of what went down there too.
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Mark,

That book was a revelation to me as well. There was a tremendous variety of traffic on that branch line.

If I were modelling the Rowntree Halt area, I would stick to just the area between the the two overbridges. I would have a fiddle yard at both ends possibly building the baseboards in an L or U, perhaps with cassettes at each end.

The branch into Rowntrees works would disappear into the woods up a 1 in 50 incline which would lead to just two concealed sidings, one for full vans and one for empties. Fortunately you can't tell whether they are loaded or not.
The book suggests that two 45 van trains left the factory each day, which would be hard to model.

In steam days the locos would be J25s and J27s on freight and D49s on the passenger trains which were none gangwayed stock, such as Gresleys or Thompsons. Pre-nationalisation, they used N8 tanks and D20s, but I do not remember those. I often saw a D49 hauling the short rake tender first to Rowntrees across Scarborough bridge as I cycled home from school.

Later they used 08s and 20s on freight and DMUs on the workmens trains.

To see the employees turning out at the end of shift was an incredible sight. At the blast of the factory siren a solid phalanx of cyclists suddenly appeared with handlebars almost touching, and no other traffic could move until they had all come out through the gate.

Colombo
Last edited by Colombo on Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

I'm not doing the Rowntrees branch, but the Junction off the main line, to the first bridge, but there is the enormous scope of traffic going up and down, and some dissapearing for days down that length of line.
I could send loads of V2s 8Fs J94s A3s and A4s down there, until I can get hold of somthing more sutible!!

Next morning update
Having been bored at work, in a little world of my own, I like the idea of Rowntrees Halt, and the branch back in to Rowntrees, If I could get it between the 2 bridges in around 3ft, it might well work!
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
lornaclare31
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Burton Lane Junction, York

Post by lornaclare31 »

Hello all,

I have recently acquired a cast iron ornate lamp holder from my late father and my mum recalls it came from a bridge that maybe went over Huntington road on the Rowntree's factory line towards Dunnington, out towards the Derwent valley railway. Can anyone recall should a thing or in fact the location it was situated?

many thanks

Lorna