Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atlantic's works: Another B5 moment, P2 News

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Hi Mick,

I added plasticard in lots of places to the tender top. The part of the fairing at the front of the bunker, with the semi-circular rear edge, was covered by an extra layer to make it higher and to make it extend further back over the coal space, the side copings were made wider to cover more of the bunker, and all of the fairing over the water-filler space was added, including the part that ramps up behind the rear coal plate.

Steve,

We've just started discussing how much of my stock can go to Ally Pally in my absence, and how it might get there, so I'll look favourably at the P2s.

3279? Maybe next year, or the one after that, or.........
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

'Atlantic 3279' in action at the Hartlepool Show, sorting out the shed schedule. 'scottiedog' of this parish to the far right.
DSC_9753 crop low.jpg
John
Last edited by JASd17 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Thanks Graeme , in particular how did you cut the hole in the plastikard over the water filler , this appears to be the "hard" part to do. Shame you aren't doing Ally Pally as I hope to go next year.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Possibly this ought to go into the Grantham thread, but I do like the picture you've posted there, John. Apart from the dashing young shedmaster, clearly the highlight of the whole affair, there's so much going on. The High Dyke empties just disappearing off to the south, the yard shunter just putting the brake back onto a Colwick goods (having attached the Ambergate coal empties), the loaded coals ready for the Ambergate trip next to the shunter, the New England goods with a C1 ready to depart, Colwick coal empties in the loop waiting to go north, the Boston set (I think) of Howldens in the carriage sidings and a J11 either having just detached them or about to pick them up, another C1 waiting by South Box ready to pick up an Up train... All this and not an A4 in sight.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

JASd17 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:03 pm 'Atlantic 3279' in action at the Hartlepool Show, sorting out the shed schedule. 'scottiedog' of this parish to the far right.
DSC_9753 crop low.jpg

John
Oh dear! Busted....

Mick,

As far as I remember, from over two and a half years ago, I marked out a circular hole for the water filler access, either with a standard pair of compasses, or a proper circular cutter used lightly, or maybe even something round of the right size as a template, then cut out material erring on the waste-side (inside) of the line, then trimmed to final size with a medium size half-round file - all done before fitting the sheet to the tender, but cutting only after imparting some curvature to the sheet. I'm always wary of trying to curve sheets that already have holes or gaps in them, such as GN cab cut-outs, as the sheet near the edges of the cut-out tends to stay flat instead of following the curve!
I had an interesting discussion recently on the question of whether the filler access hole should actually be circular, but not centred over the filler, as I've modelled it, which I think is as per the Isinglass drawing, or whether it should instead be "triangular with very rounded corners". I don't know the correct answer and I haven't had time to look for more evidence.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

jwealleans wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:41 am Possibly this ought to go into the Grantham thread, but I do like the picture you've posted there, John. Apart from the dashing young shedmaster, clearly the highlight of the whole affair, there's so much going on. The High Dyke empties just disappearing off to the south, the yard shunter just putting the brake back onto a Colwick goods (having attached the Ambergate coal empties), the loaded coals ready for the Ambergate trip next to the shunter, the New England goods with a C1 ready to depart, Colwick coal empties in the loop waiting to go north, the Boston set (I think) of Howldens in the carriage sidings and a J11 either having just detached them or about to pick them up, another C1 waiting by South Box ready to pick up an Up train... All this and not an A4 in sight.
In the stock book that set of Howldens rejoiceth in the name of the "Leicester" set but that doesn't prove that it's next duty at the time of the photo was a Leicester train.

JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

jwealleans wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:41 am Possibly this ought to go into the Grantham thread,
Agreed Jonathan, but it seems to have taken root.

I can live without A4s, heresy here no doubt.

John
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

A4s are also far from being my favourite locos. I have an A4 or two, and the related W1, plus the fantasy 4-8-2 streamliner simply because they are relevant to the overall LNER picture. Whilst the Bugatti nose apparently worked well as a smoke lifter, it certainly isn't the shape that I would choose for a truly streamlined look. The A4 appearance is at its most nearly tolerable, to my eye, when the original valances are present in full. The combination of the flat fronted nose in conflict with the otherwise three-dimensional streamlining just looks utterly hideous to me when the valances are removed too - it always has looked hideous to me too, from my earliest childhood browsing of an Ian Allen combined volume.....

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:00 am
JASd17 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:03 pm 'Atlantic 3279' in action at the Hartlepool Show, sorting out the shed schedule. 'scottiedog' of this parish to the far right.
DSC_9753 crop low.jpg

John
Oh dear! Busted....

Mick,

As far as I remember, from over two and a half years ago, I marked out a circular hole for the water filler access, either with a standard pair of compasses, or a proper circular cutter used lightly, or maybe even something round of the right size as a template, then cut out material erring on the waste-side (inside) of the line, then trimmed to final size with a medium size half-round file - all done before fitting the sheet to the tender, but cutting only after imparting some curvature to the sheet. I'm always wary of trying to curve sheets that already have holes or gaps in them, such as GN cab cut-outs, as the sheet near the edges of the cut-out tends to stay flat instead of following the curve!
I had an interesting discussion recently on the question of whether the filler access hole should actually be circular, but not centred over the filler, as I've modelled it, which I think is as per the Isinglass drawing, or whether it should instead be "triangular with very rounded corners". I don't know the correct answer and I haven't had time to look for more evidence.
Thanks . I haven't looked yet hopefully the topping was discarded as on the A4's at some point !!.

Don't like A4's !!!
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:46 pm We've just started discussing how much of my stock can go to Ally Pally in my absence, and how it might get there, so I'll look favourably at the P2s.
If you could, it would be most appreciated! :D

Re the A4 discussion: I find the shape of the A4 fascinating but if presented with an A3 or A4 and asked to pick one, I know what my choice would be! :D

Edit: I've just seen that my list of people to sit and 'annoy' at Warley has grown by two people! :lol:
Steve
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

And back to those P2s, seen here together in something like final form, comparing the different front shapes:
V- three cocks 3 lnerf.jpg
For the other side, as my camera is back in battery killing mode at present, I had to switch to Mrs Atlantic's mobile phone camera thingy, with less satisfactory colour and contrast in the resultant image:
V - three cocks 1 lnerf.jpg
I'll have to paint in more livery detail on the pumps for the water heater on 2001......

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Back to the tender top modifications for 2003 - I should emphasize (although it was mentioned when I first did the job, long ago) that the tender body from which I started was a swap. The original-pattern New Type non-corridor tender from the factory fresh Hornby Cock o' the North model went to a suitable Pacific and a Streamlined Non-Corridor was substituted, That saved having to straighten the front edges of the sidesheets, raise the sidesheets, and file off beadings, but the tender top has to be glued to the chassis that comes with the P2, the rear fixing arrangements in particular being incompatible.

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

That is a lovely lineup of P2s Graeme! Looking at the pretty much finished models, you would never have guessed to surgery that was performed to create them!
Steve
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Hornby don't know what the missing out on.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

What was supposed to be an innocent visit to little local model railway exhibition this afternoon, with the fullest prior determination to spend little or nothing, turned into a nasty spending accident when I saw this rather neatly built and painted, Portescap powered tempter:
STA70802 crop lnerf.jpg
Such a shame the neat livery is that ghastly North Western inspired insult, but I have a pot of Doncaster green paint...