Signalling at Chathill

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Signalling at Chathill

Post by 52D »

Hi this may be of interest to our regular signalmen, the last diagram in use at Chathill prior to electrification. The box is still there but regretably oou.
chathill panel.jpg
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Mickey

Re: Signalling at Chathill

Post by Mickey »

The box looks like it has control of up to 5 level crossings on the panel. The x4 television monitors sitting on top of the panel are for the four remote level crossings the box has control of that are shown on the panel while it looks like the box it's self is located right next to a level crossing as the road can be seen clearly through the window plus also note the B.R. Bardic handlamp sitting next to the old black telephone on top of the panel as well.

The panel looks like it dates from the 1970s.

Mickey
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

From the south the crossings would be Christon Bank a former station with a narrow gauge line from Embleton Quarry feeding in,then Falloden once the private Station for Earl Grey of tea and reform bill fame. Then Chathill itself with a level crossing of 3 lines and formerly the branch to North Sunderland,next would be Newham where in 1847 a NER express derailed and sank into a bog the fireman and driver were dug out alive but the fireman later died of scalding, the loco was recovered so bang goes my idea of digging it up then finally Lucker of water trough fame.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Personally I never liked level crossing jobs much (never worked one either) they were and still are to much hassle to be dealing with especially from the road traffic users that use them plus there was quite a lot of rules & regulations involved with working level crossing boxes as well.

Mickey
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

I visited the station in 1978 when both the box and ticket office were open and I was invited into both. The signalman let me raise and lower the barriers.
The ticket office was pure NER with wooden ticket racks and so on.