N2 on the Epping ongar branch in LNER/BR days

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

N2 on the Epping ongar branch in LNER/BR days

Post by silverfox »

Although the N2 is a regular on the Epping Ongar branch nowadays, has anybody got a picture of one in service during the LNER/BR period?

OR even records of one working on it?

Ron
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: N2 on the Epping ongar branch in LNER/BR days

Post by CVR1865 »

Hi Ron
I think the stock would have been N7, F4/5 or J67 all standard GE suburban stock. Maybe the decopod could have been? I will double check but I don’t think an N2 ever got over there.

EDIT: on page 30 of yeadons vol 27 (N7)there is a picture of an N7 with a GN style smoke box door, the look not catching on.

Simon
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

silverfox wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:07 pm Although the N2 is a regular on the Epping Ongar branch nowadays, has anybody got a picture of one in service during the LNER/BR period?

OR even records of one working on it?

Ron
The relevant RCTS Greenie, Part 9A, notes that N2s were from time to time shedded at Stratford and used on workings out of Liverpool Street. Certain specific workings are noted and these are principally main line or major branch services. There is a note that the carrying axleboxes overheated and that N2s were subsequently prohibited from various branches including those to Braintree (not strictly a branch) and Buntingford. Westinghouse brakes would also be required for London area suburban workings and for the regular Epping-Ongar services it would also need to be motor-train fitted, i.e. have push-pull control gear with the additional train connections.

So it is not certain that an N2 did work over the Epping-Ongar but it is more than likely that no N2 ever worked over the branch.

Having written the above a while ago, reading the second of a two-part article about KX N2s in Steam Railway No. 473 today, I came across an aside that noted N2 69546 briefly ran on the Epping-Ongar branch in November 1956. However no source is given for that information.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Bumping for the edit to above post...
silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by silverfox »

Thanks
Will start looking through the bound Volumes...just in case