Station Garden Competitions

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Roger Short
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Station Garden Competitions

Post by Roger Short »

I can recall that in the early 1950s there were still Station Garden competitions. Does anyone by any chance have any information or links to where such information could be found. I remember that some stations on the Stour Valley Line would have the names with white stones and considerable care with plants in the gardens adjacent to the platforms and also hanging plants from platform awnings.

Thanks in advance

Roger
Roger Short
Turin Italy
Mickey

Re: Station Garden Competitions

Post by Mickey »

From memory one of the winners of the 'B.R. Best Kept Gardens Competition' back in the early 1970s that I remember seeing in RAILNEWS was Ashwell and Morden station on the Hitchin-Cambridge branch that would have been around 1972-73.
Last edited by Mickey on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Staff magazines covered this kind of topic.

The GE Society may have something. But it will not be 'Gratis'.

John
WTTReprinter
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by WTTReprinter »

Morning.

I have a couple of Special Notices for the Officer's Special Trains conveying the judges for the Eastern Region, 1951 & 1956.
They are available to download from my website (see link on my signature, bottom of the home page, follow the link to Freebies)
I also spotted a couple of competition winner certificates on eBay this week that may provide info (search 'station garden certificate')
I don't recall seeing anything as late as the 70's though. My recollection of the 70s was that everything was being gradually run down!
Thanks.
WTT Reprinter
http://wttreprints.uk/
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

As mentioned above, staff magazines will have this information. The NER Magazine has good coverage of those held in the NER's area from the 1910's onwards (and through to the 1920's when the LNER magazine was eventually set up in I believe 1927)
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
Roger Short
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Roger Short »

Many thanks for the advice; I'll start to browse!
Roger Short
Turin Italy