Dimensions GNR v Corridor tenders

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Dimensions GNR v Corridor tenders

Post by Graeme Leary »

In my attempt to add another A1 with a GNR tender to my stock of locos and having a couple of 'spare' Hornby A1s with corridor tenders I had the thought of reducing the overall height of the RTR Corridor tender and adding coal rails. On closer comparison however of the 2 Hornby types (one being their Great Northern/1470 model and the other a bog standard 'Railroad' Flying Scotsman) there only appears to be only 1mm (and barely that) between the overall heights of the sides of BOTH types of tender, with the 'coal rail' feature of the GNR really being an 'add-on' to the top of the sides of what seem to be about the same in both models.

As well as making up the coal rails and adding some hand rails to this 'Railroad' model the corridor cover on the RTR tender end would have to be removed and then tidied up but in just about all other respects they're both very similar - have I interpreted this correctly and any other suggestions most welcome.

Graeme Leary
New Zealand
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Dimensions GNR v Corridor tenders

Post by jwealleans »

Even over there, I'd have thought it would be easier just to find a second hand top and either sell on or reuse your surplus one.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

NZ seems to be (generally) the home of a greater number of American themed modellers - the handful of British modellers I know are all expats from (mainly) Yorkshire so are a good source of info but spare parts, no!

I'm actually going to try Hornby to see if ever they offered the coal rails as a part and then probably Peter's Spares. If no luck with either of those and as my Hornby Railroad loco wasn't that expensive I'm prepared to cannibalise the tender and try and cobble up the rails as best as I can. However, I am no 'nzpaul' so all fingers will be crossed.

Will keep you informed.
Graeme
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

I think the GNR and non-corridor tenders were narrower than the corridor tenders.

There is a distinct ledge on the non-corridor tenders.

Earlswood nob
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Then there's the matter of rounded rear edges to the tanks, different frame profile / steps / buffer beam ends at the rear, no corridor top inside the spaces at the top of the tender, different design of front plate, and probably a long list of additional differences.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Many thanks all. Now the differences are pointed out they are VERY obvious - so back to plan A ie purchase another 'Great Northern', '
Flying Fox' or one of the few other GNR tender A1/3 models Hornby made in the past and renumber to go with the renamed loco.

Should have stuck to stamp collecting!

Graeme
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

The GNR tenders also had spoked wheels, and post 1928 tenders had disc wheels, except for Cock 'o the North which for some reason reverted to spoked wheels.

Earlswood nob