Renumbering/naming Hornby K Type Pullmans

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Renumbering/naming Hornby K Type Pullmans

Post by Woodcock29 »

I have a set of eight of the Hornby K Type Pullmans in 1930s livery for a Queen of Scots. I need to renumber/name several to create the right consist. Can someone please advise what are the best transfers to obtain to do this. I have a set of ModelMaster but they are marginally larger and a different colour - more of an orange colour.

The last resort will be to hand paint the numbers that I need to change but my hand is not as steady as it was about 40 years ago when I hand-lettered some LNER wagons before PC (latterly HMRS) transfers were available!

Andrew
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Renumbering/naming Hornby K Type Pullmans

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

FOX do various sets of Pullman names and numbers.

I have no idea of the quality or colour of the transfers.

Earlswood nob
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

That's brave! Shall be interested to hear what's best.

At the moment my set of eight cars as the QoS, usually seen being whipped along by the Bachmann C1 in LNER livery, are being enjoyed as they are. I can't read the names and numbers while the ensemble is thundering past after all... (I do find it interesting that the most accurate grouping period express trains that can be made from plastic RTR, are that rarest of things, complete Pullman car formations. Not that I am complaining, they look very well with any of the LNER's lovely wide firebox types powering them.)
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

I can back up earlswood nob's comments re Fox Transfers. Their range is extensive, the product is very good and using them I have renamed or renumbered probably at least a dozen RTR Hornby Pullman coaches (and once finished and compared against a model straight from the factory it would take very good eyes to detect they've been changed. (Ensure you use a fibre glass pencil to gently rub off the original 'supplied' name/number and if you should inadvertently go too deep a little application of a dark wood stain, I have used 'Briwax', applied with a cotton bud can bring the background - that shows through the clear section of the transfer - back to original).

Graeme
New Zealand
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Thanks Graeme
Andrew