Unidentified wagon

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

boeing757
NER J27 0-6-0

Unidentified wagon

Post by boeing757 »

This is a long shot as I don’t even know if the wagon is ex LNER but here goes.
On page 265 of “The Bishop’s Stortford, Dunmow and Braintree Branch” by Peter Paye is a photo taken at Takely of a freight train being crossed by the Stortford bound branch passenger service. In the consist of the goods train is a wooden bodied mineral with raised and curved ends. Date of picture is Feb 52 by which time I would have expected this style of mineral to be extinct. I am building a model of Felsted and would like to include this wagon if it can be identified.
Sorry unable to provide an image.
Any ideas appreciated.
Bob
WTTReprinter
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: Unidentified wagon

Post by WTTReprinter »

I know there were quite a few reprints of Peter's books but I have a first impression of this book and it only has 208 pages.
I can't find an image that meets your description.
What's the print date of your volume?
Thanks.
WTT Reprinter
http://wttreprints.uk/
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Only ~25% of the nationalised mineral wagon stock was to the 1923 design. There were thousands of much older wagons about and if this one had oil axleboxes it might have lasted a few years longer. I don't have the book, but there were a number of wagon builders who put out raised or rounded end designs.

Is there any trace of the owner on the wagon?
boeing757
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by boeing757 »

WTTReprinter wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:55 am I know there were quite a few reprints of Peter's books but I have a first impression of this book and it only has 208 pages.
I can't find an image that meets your description.
What's the print date of your volume?
Hello,
I have the original too, this one was printed in 2010 by Oakwood Press, completely reworked and runs to 352 pages. If I weren’t such a computer numpty I’d scan the image and post but alas beyond my capabilities.
If the first book was of interest, this one offers a lot more info
Bob
boeing757
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by boeing757 »

jwealleans wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:25 am Only ~25% of the nationalised mineral wagon stock was to the 1923 design. There were thousands of much older wagons about and if this one had oil axleboxes it might have lasted a few years longer. I don't have the book, but there were a number of wagon builders who put out raised or rounded end designs.

Is there any trace of the owner on the wagon?
Thanks Jonathan for the info. Alas the photo is taken from the passing passenger train so not much of the side profile or chassis details. I can just discern it is wooden and the ends are higher than the sides and approximately the same height as the adjacent conventional mineral wagon.
Cheers
Bob