Wagon Lists?

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

burgerbern
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Wagon Lists?

Post by burgerbern »

Does anyone know of a good website that lists the rosters of L.N.E.R built wagons, i have spent the last 4 days trying to think up search criteria on the web to help me identify which wagon type that a builders plate was affixed to without any success what so ever, i have a plate that states

L.N.E.R
22 Tons
Darlington

I have had success with plates in the past that contained a lot number for other builders of wagons but this is the first LNER plate that i have had to research and i cannot find anything on the web that helps, any ideas appreciated
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Wagon Lists?

Post by jwealleans »

There are only books as far as I know. With a 22 ton capacity, I’d guess it’s from a plate wagon, but someone else may be able to confirm.
UpDistant
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by UpDistant »

(E)301686 is from a batch of 100 22T tube wagons built by Cambrian in 1947, (E)301602 - (E)301701 to Diagram 199.

It's handy having spreadsheets with all this kind of stuff.
burgerbern
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by burgerbern »

Many thanks for that, this is all very new to me as up until now all my focus has been on Southern Steam Engines and USA transition era stock which is easy to find out info online about, but just one question relating to your answer, if built by Cambrian, who as far as i can find are/ or were based in Cardif, why does my plate state Darlington, i was expecting that to mean LNER Darlington Faverdale wagon works. or does my plate show the ownership and it would have had a further makers plate added to the frame as well
IMG_0084a.jpg
UpDistant
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by UpDistant »

I suspect that Darlington supplied the wagon plates to external builders.
burgerbern
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by burgerbern »

Thanks, i guess that's a possibility, anyway, i have got rid of all the rust and it is sitting here with 2 coats of hammerite smooth gloss black, now just got to steady my nerves and pluck up the courage to make the high bits white, thinking a paint pad might be the easiest way rather than a brush.
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

I paint the white first then fill with the black, I find it far easier. and the black will cover the white whereas the white will take several coats.
burgerbern
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by burgerbern »

Managed it in the end, the paint pad idea did not work, so i did it the hard way with a small paintbrush, the hammerite smooth white has good covering power this is one coat over black.
LNER 301686 Finis2.jpg