Rob P's 7mm Loco Workbench - LNER 06 from MOK 8F

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Rob P's 7mm Loco Workbench - LNER 06 from MOK 8F

Post by Robpulham »

Mind the Gap, the age old saying on the railways.

Mine was a little more fundamental - the curve of the footplate under the cab was not anything like the curve of the cab sides

Because I didn't have the benefit of the updated instructions that Mark kindly shared with me after and enquiry over on Western Thunder (I have emailed Dave Sharp to ask for a set of the updated instructions) I had previously added the cab front overlays and soldered all around the seams. This meant that tucking the front of the curved section up under the top layer of the cab front as advised in the updated instructions wasn't to my mind - I worked on the theory that if I tried to remove the thin overlay I would irreparably damage it.

That left the alternative which was cut/file the front section down so that it sits just below the footplate rather than tucked in behind the front plate and to desolder and file down the sub frames until the curve better matched that of the sides of the cab.

As you are looking at it, it took two goes at desoldering, filing down, before resoldering to test the fit for the left hand subframe and six goes for the right hand subframe.  At each desoldering I carefully cleaned up before filing a little more off. You may wonder why I resoldered at each test, it was because I couldn't hold it in close enough proximity to accurately check the fit when trying to hold all the parts while they were 

I have to say that had I continued with the build to this point when I started back in 2011 or so, I would never have had the confidence to desolder and resolder the same part so many times to get the fit that I wanted. I would never have been happy with it either.

The slight gap on the right hand in this view will close up when I solder it all in but I am triple checking all is right before taking the final step.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Interesting to see how even you can get caught out by not having instructions to check out first Rob.

When one writes instructions one hopes that people will give them a quick once over before starting, even if they do not follow them later.
This is a classic case for those who buy second hand kits, or rebuilds things without the instructions to be sure they understand the nuances that
may well be built into the kit.

Your work around is really clever and just goes to show that it is more important to finish the kit than throw it out because you do not yet
have all the skills. I am really impressed and thanks for showing

Paul
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

john coffin wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:17 am Interesting to see how even you can get caught out by not having instructions to check out first Rob.

When one writes instructions one hopes that people will give them a quick once over before starting, even if they do not follow them later.
This is a classic case for those who buy second hand kits, or rebuilds things without the instructions to be sure they understand the nuances that

Your work around is really clever and just goes to show that it is more important to finish the kit than throw it out because you do not yet

Paul
totally agree with your Observations Paul.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

john coffin wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:17 am Interesting to see how even you can get caught out by not having instructions to check out first Rob.

Paul
Hi Paul,

Sorry I may have misled you by how I worded it. It isn't that I haven't got any instructions, I have (the kit was bought new) it's just that for such a high quality kit in terms of the etches/castings and how well they fit together the instructions are appalling in places with many parts not even mentioned. I am led to believe that MOK have updated them and I have asked for a copy.
john coffin

Post by john coffin »

Rob, not sure that you misled any of us, I was trying to express the wider point.

In my experience very few people actually read the instructions, good or bad, to get the idea of what the designer had in mind.
I know I have produced at least 3 sets of very complex instructions, and still not got round to revising them, but peoplehave
still built the kit.

I did understand that you had some instructions.

The thing is if you know that few people are going to read them, then what do you produce as instructions?
Just enough or do you do a proper set. Both take time to produce.

Doesn't take away that you have done a really good job making it work.

Paul
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Sorry Paul,

I think that I misunderstood you :oops: .

I always read the instructions and where the instructions are good or both the instructions and kit are complex I tick off where I have got to as I go. Where they are not so good or the kit needs a bit of upgrading, then I deviate where necessary. Because I like to add lot's of additional detail I always try to get at least one photo of the loco that I am trying to model but if possible one of each side.

I do have a couple of sets of parts that were bought as scratch aid and as such don't come with any instructions. In fact one of them isn't even a set of etches, the parts to make up the loco (LNER F3) are profile milled. In fairness to the gent that did them for me, he has written on each part what it is and I have gathered all the castings etc. to finish it.

Thanks for the kind words on the build so far. It's getting there
john coffin

Post by john coffin »

No Problems Rob, the whole value of your posting, and the discussions is to try and learn more about how people do things, and how we can each improve what we do.

Since I started designing kits over 15 years ago, my instructions were based on two things, my lack of real skill in building, and the words my test
builders gave me as feed back. A major problem in the past was kit makers producing something that they had not let a third party build.

We all make stuff in different ways, and almost start from different places (within limits), but if you do not check the instructions you may not understand what all the parts are about, or whether the designer was using them for maybe two other jobs(yes we all try to get more mileage from a part that was only for one purpose on the real thing!) As the designer, you tend to look at the most effective way to convert your 2d image into a
3d accurate representation of the real thing. But we tend to work off drawings, whereas the real builders made ongoing modifications to make things fit. That is why at least two photos are really valuable. However as we all know it is very rare to get two photos of the same loco on the same day, from either side, as for a proper rear view, that is like hen's teeth. I should think my photo collection includes about 5% rear views compared to the side views, and I can count on one hand the number of pictures I have of a loco from both sides on the same day. Let alone detail views of rooves, or carriage ends!

A really valuable part of this and other threads here is to let designers and instruction writers get a better idea of how people actually approach the task.

And so many wonderful models come from people like yourself, Greame , Jas17 and Jonathon Welleans let alone those who build in 2mm things I would not attempt in 10mm gauge :roll:

Paul
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Further work over the weekend has seen it start to look like a loco at long last.

At the moment all except the cab, the reversing lever and it's housing are just sat in place and are held by the firm fit of the components. - The sand shields are just lent in place because I need to drill them yet for the sandbox fillers. I am slightly surprised that they don't have at least some semblance of a hole etched in them given how well everything else is portrayed.

I also need to drill and put a self tapper in the top of the cab face of the firebox to close up the very slight gap on the drivers side before I solder it in place. The instructions suggest doing this but I thought that I had got away without the need until I put everything in place.
john coffin

Post by john coffin »

Looking really nice Rob.
Mind you that is one hell of a rigid frame set :lol:

Paul
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

john coffin wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:43 pm Looking really nice Rob.
Mind you that is one hell of a rigid frame set :lol:

Paul
Thanks Paul,

It is, as you might have noticed it usually resides in my spray booth as a means of lifting smaller objects up a bit. But, as it happens it was just the right length when I cut a couple of slots in one end for the frames that protrude just in front of the cab.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Although I have made some progress on the chassis, recent minor surgery on my toe has left me struggling with the time/energy to give this the thought that it needs to get the motion assembled so I have been doing a few small jobs on the J6 until my energy returns

Image[/url]

Image[/url]
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

A few days off over Easter saw me make further progress on the 06.

Shaping the curves of the inner tender sides was interesting because in my ignorance I had chopped off one end of the etch which contained the marked etched bend lines and although I still had the piece that I removed I couldn't realistically realign it. So some careful measuring was in order.

I annealed the tops of the sides where the main bend was to be - I did this a couple of times during the process.

In order to bend the front curves of the tender sides which were very close to the half etched line for the location of the front bulkhead I soldered in a couple of strips of scrap to stop it bending on the half etched line instead of where I wanted it to.

Once happy I soldered in the rear bulkhead and started to add details.

nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

:shock: :shock: ...how????....lovely, Even if it is an 8f. 8)
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Thanks Paul.

Before going any further I started to make up the bulkheads which are made up from multiple layers. Here the instructions (or my interpretation of them) let me down again and I managed to get the overlay for the top of the front bulkhead out of sequence meaning that I had to cut a section out of it to prevent having to undo a lot of work meaning that it sits around the lockers not behind them (it was quite easy to do with scissors due to it being half etched). It isn't visible in the end result but I know I had to do it.

Front Bulkhead

Fire Iron Tunnel

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

This is what it looks like with the overlays on the body. You get two options included in the kit either welded or riveted. I chose riveted because it adds a little more to the character.

These latter two show the front bulkhead now it's fitted and the fire iron tunnel which fitted perfectly.