Atso's new loco works - now including my Hadley Wood layout build

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Atso's new loco works

Post by Atso »

Not a huge amount of progress recently having been working on some bits and pieces of other's. However, I've hit a bit of a wall and so I've turned my attention to one of the NQP Dapol A3s I picked up at the Dapol open day a few weeks ago.
Harvester Conversion from Grand Parade.jpg
Work so far includes stripping the locomotive of its identity and transplanting various bits from one side of the locomotive to the other to represent a right hand drive A3. It also needed some attention to its valve gear and drive shaft (hence it being a NQP sale). I'm looking to ultimately make this one into Harvester in mid thirties condition.
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

A bit of a flurry of activity finally happened yesterday when I realised that the latest date for Shapeways orders was fast approaching!

In total five tank locomotive bodies were ordered as tank engines are difficult to print in one piece on my own machine due to the available build area I have. Included was an updated V1 which has had a few corrections made compared to the incomplete one previously shown. Others included:
LNER V3.jpg
The V3 version...
LNER A5-2.jpg
An A5/2, I did the CAD for this last year and thought it was long overdue for printing. It'll likely end up as 5007 as I've got a picture of that locomotive running on a train out of Kings X
Stanier 2P Assembly.jpg
A non LNER locomotive!!! Have I just committed a cardinal sin?!! :twisted: A Stanier 2P 0-4-4 body! As the LMS ran some suburban services on the ECML up to Potters Bar, I thought it would be nice to represent some of these. It would appear that such services were handled almost exclusively by Jinty locomotives (although I understand a Fowler 3P could occasionally be seen). However, I've always had a soft spot for the 10 Stanier 2Ps (a locomotive that he had nothing to do with the design of!), and so rule one will apply!
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Thanks to the ever helpful people at Dapol managing to source and supply some spare valve gear, my Flying Scotsman project is back underway.
Flying Scotsman 14-12-17.jpg
Still plenty to do in terms of patch painting and lining but nice to have this loco running again. This locomotive came to me as a damaged, non-running, Papyrus and was really in a poor state. A spare A3 4472 cab has been substituted (I was lazy in not renumbering and had the cab to hand) along with a corridor tender that has been de-streamlined and re-lettered. Other work done includes moving various gubbings from the left hand side to the right and carefully filling off the superheater header covers. It's supposed to represent the locomotive in early 1930's condition and therefore the cab isn't correct but I can live with this (and some other minor points).
Steve
BlythStationLad
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by BlythStationLad »

Really interested in a V3. Any suggestions as to a chassis suitable for DCC?
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

BlythStationLad wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:00 pm Really interested in a V3. Any suggestions as to a chassis suitable for DCC?
Hi, thanks for your interest. The V1/V3s are designed to fit a modified Farish N class chassis which is DCC fitted. However, at the DCC plug is located in the tender you'll have to move it into the cab area. This isn't too difficult but does require you to either cut the front out of the tender chassis or unsolder the wires leading to the plug using the smallest soldering iron bit you can find and then resoldering it once removed.

You'll need to wire the DCC plug to the loco chassis. I used to carefully drill a hole in each chassis half, tap it to M1.6 and then use some screws to hold the wires in place to provide an electrical connection. However, I've now found that I can solder the wires directly to the chassis (having cleaned the area of paint/dirt) using 9% Phosphoric Acid liquid flux and 188 degree solder (both from Eileens Emporium). I've found I can do this without dismantling the chassis (but be in and out with the iron quickly to avoid damaging the plastic gears). The only other modifications is the removal of a tiny bit of plastic on the valve gear supports and fitting the rear pony truck (a radial truck on the prototype) along with a Dapol NEM pocket.

Not a straight body swap but nowhere near as difficult as it sounds above.
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Atso's new loco works - GNR Artic Coach question

Post by Atso »

Hi all,

A question if I may. I've been working on the first class half of one of the pioneer articulated conversions but would appreciate it if anyone could clarify the arrangement of the roof ventilators. I assume that, above the compartments both the first and third class coaches would have the gaslamp tops along the centre line with a ventilator flanking it on either side.
ECJS-GNR Twin Articulated Composit First Class End.jpg
Sorry to be asking but the Isinglass drawing is confusing regarding these details.

Edit: I've just noticed that I've posted this in my loco works thread - apologies...
Steve
BlythStationLad
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Many thanks Steve. When will the body be available for sale?
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

BlythStationLad wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:17 am Many thanks Steve. When will the body be available for sale?
As soon as I've finished tinkering with the design! :D
Steve
BlythStationLad
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Cheers. I'd order a V1 and a V3 if you're designing both.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

BlythStationLad wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:34 pm Cheers. I'd order a V1 and a V3 if you're designing both.
Thanks, both have been designed and I do have a physical model of each to assess and play with! I'll need to write some instructions for these ones as the N class donor needs some very minor modification to a plastic bit of its valve gear for the body to sit down properly as well as describe the process to get the decoder plug out of the tender and soldered to the loco chassis.
Steve
BlythStationLad
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Thanks Steve. I'll start saving!
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hi all,

I've been working on a new CAD to replace the old Thompson L1 body I did c. 2009-10 as it is looking a bit dated now.
Thompson L1 Covering 67740-67765 Pic 1.jpg
Thompson L1 Covering 67740-67765 Pic 2.jpg
Still plenty to do on this (which currently represents nos. 67740-65). I'll be doing the other production variations as well but not no. 9000.
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Some more progress on the L1 today. Trying to work out where rivets are and then plot there position from photographs which don't show details very well has been time consuming!
L1 67740-67765 26-04-18 1.jpg
L1 67740-67765 26-04-18 2.jpg
Steve
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

L1 looking good, now that would be a bit of a unusual loco on a 'N' gauge layout.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Thanks Manna. It's a bit out of period for me but I'm been asked to build one. As the original CAD must be getting on for nine years old, it really was time it had an upgrade.

In other news, as a proof of concept for a friends project, I've been playing around with an ancient Farish 4P chassis, a 7mm coreless motor and some Farish B1 wheels...

http://youtu.be/xM42CY_thNo

All very Heath Robinson and the quartering needs tweaking a little more....
Steve