GER Clerestory bogies

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

gobbler
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

GER Clerestory bogies

Post by gobbler »

Hi all

I'm scratch building the Clerestory coach in Nick Camplings book
LNER and constituents

I'm up to constructing the bogies. I need some more reference, I've trawled the net without much success and the books I've found don't have the pictures I'm after.

I was wondering if anyone could help?
IMG_5578.JPG
Thanks

Scott
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: GER Clerestory bogies

Post by 65447 »

AFAIK the GER like many other companies used bogies based on the Fox pattern with minor variations. You do not say what scale you are working in but a reasonable number of suppliers in 4mm and 7mm scale provide either sides or complete bogies that suit, through the purchase of which you could fashion your own. There may even be resin cast ones available, or 3D versions through the likes of the Shapeways shop.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Sorry, I can't help regarding the bogies. However, I've been admiring your work on 'the other forum' - great stuff! :D
Steve
billbedford
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by billbedford »

65447 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:54 pm AFAIK the GER like many other companies used bogies based on the Fox pattern with minor variations.
I'm not sure where this information comes from, but all the GER coach diagrams I have show 8' plate bogies. Except for two, a buffet car and an composite used on the Palace Gates auto train. Since both of these were converted by the LNER I suggest that they acquired the Fox bogies when converted. The LNER had many spare Fox bogies due to their replacement on GNR and ECJS coach by standard 8'6" ones, and they were probably used generally as replacements for life expired bogies, but I have seen no evidence that the GER, itself, used Fox bogies.
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

You may well be right Bill, there is a dearth of readily available information on the details of carriages; the John Watling articles in the GERS Journal tend to concentrate on their overall form and traffic usage.

The NRM drawings archive lists:

327 22085 E No date Arrangement of four-wheeled bogie for carriages, 8'-0" wheelbase, 10" channel solebars 22085.E* Bogie; Ozalid

in LNER Stratford C&W Drawings (sorted by Drg. No.)
Range of Drg Nos: 4951.E to 42441.E
Range of Dates: 13/11/1896 to 24/8/1962

www.nrm.org.uk/~/media/Files/NRM/PDF/ar ... atford.pdf
gobbler
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by gobbler »

Thanks for the info

Yes it is being modelled in 4mm

Have a bit more progress
IMG_5814.JPG
Crits/tips welcome

Scott
gobbler
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by gobbler »

Well, just a quick update just to let you fellows know my Clerestory is now finished, except the numbering and a spot of weathering.
IMG_6335.JPG
A big thanks to everyone that helped.

Cheers again

Scott
hallofgwr3
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by hallofgwr3 »

Scott great coaches some good modelling, did you take along time to achieve your results?
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Good looking coach, I doubt, if they will ever make it to RTR.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

billbedford wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:11 pm
65447 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:54 pm AFAIK the GER like many other companies used bogies based on the Fox pattern with minor variations.
I'm not sure where this information comes from, but all the GER coach diagrams I have show 8' plate bogies. Except for two, a buffet car and an composite used on the Palace Gates auto train. Since both of these were converted by the LNER I suggest that they acquired the Fox bogies when converted. The LNER had many spare Fox bogies due to their replacement on GNR and ECJS coach by standard 8'6" ones, and they were probably used generally as replacements for life expired bogies, but I have seen no evidence that the GER, itself, used Fox bogies.
This page on the GERS website provides more information about bogie types but not necessarily the dimensional details: https://gersociety.org.uk/index.php/rol ... velopments

It appears that the first were based on the GWR Dean type, then Fox, followed by the GER's own designs.

Please note that my earlier link to the NRM drawing is no longer valid since the changes to the MSI group websites. In fact I cannot find anything much of the really useful information that used to be available on the former NRM webpages... :?