The FIRST Corridor Tender

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

The FIRST Corridor Tender

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

I'm sure I once read that the very first Gresley 8 wheel corridor-tender was taken for a run,on test, hauled by an ex-GNR Atlantic.
Presumably Doncaster to Barkston and return. Does anyone recall which book this is likely to have been mentioned in and was the Atlantic "using" the tender or just hauling it?
Thanks in anticipation Gents!
Eric
Darryl Tooley
NBR J36 0-6-0

Re: The FIRST Corridor Tender

Post by Darryl Tooley »

This is mentioned in chapter 12 of 'Nigel Gresley - Locomotive Engineer' by F A S Brown. F A S B tell us that a fitter travelled with the tender with strict instructions not to let anyone through the footplate door.

Apparently they were expecting a clear road to Retford from Doncaster, but were stopped at a village station for no better reason than that the signalman wanted a look at the supposedly secret corridor tender.

It's a good story, and F A S B tells it better, but I'm not entirely sure I believe it.

D
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: The FIRST Corridor Tender

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

Thank you Sir!
thats how I remember reading it; I'm much obliged
Eric