Pulmans in mixed formations

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

hucknall byron
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Pulmans in mixed formations

Post by hucknall byron »

I vaguely remember seeing Pullmans and Gresley/ BR mark 1s running together in one formation. Is my memory playing tricks or did it happen? I am talking late 50s early 60s. I have not been able to find any photographs but given that trains at the time were sometimes made up from what was available and in good repair it does seem to me a more than reasonable happening. The Master Cutler ran near where I lived could this be where I saw them?
Eightpot
NBR J36 0-6-0

Re: Pulmans in mixed formations

Post by Eightpot »

I have a recollection of seeing a photo in a 'Model Railway News' magazine of the early 1950s of an N1 with a Pullman and a Gresley coach. It may have been the tail end of a train from Kings Cross, with this happening to a short run from Leeds to perhaps Bradford. Anyones memory nudged?
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Apart from the all-Pullman scheduled services, Pullman cars were used for special trains for events such as the grand race meets, royal visits, major ship launches. And of course there will be ECS workings associated with these, and movement of any cars that may have been failed or got out of position in regular service.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

An account of regular Pullman services over the former LNER lines post-war is given by Robert Carroll in LNER Society Journal 71.

John